Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Heat related lockup - more

Barry Isseks
Barry Isseks Member ✭✭
edited November 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
After updating software my lockup issue continues when hot. I read a recent post about a fan, either, other then the one of the left panel, or a higher speed, louder mode that drew some criticism about being "noisy"... In my case the fan on the left side turns on with power up, but no other fan or mode kicks in anytime during operation. Maybe this is my problem ? Can someone confirm proper heatup/thermal reaction that should be accompany normal operation ?  Thanks.

Comments

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited July 2015
    If your locking up because of heat issues then you really need to open a help desk ticket....  Sounds like maybe your cpu or fpga fan is not working...I had an error issue with my 6500 and it turned out to be the fpga fan going bad...
  • Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Barry:  Happy Independence Day!  If you have a FLEX-6500 or FLEX-6700, both exterior case fans should be turning any time the power is on.  If not, then like John said, please open a HelpDesk Ticket.  It's possible that the power connector on the right side got dislodged during shipment so it may be a simple matter of plugging it back in.   

Note there are also 2 other fans internal to the radio that are NOT user serviceable.  

Good luck.

73, Greg - K5GJ

• Barry Isseks
    Barry Isseks Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks guys... Opened a ticket. Fans run but no obvious speed wind-up as heat builds..
  • Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Barry - The exterior case fans only have 2 speeds. Low=very quiet.  High=you WILL hear them.  

Good luck.
    Greg

• Barry Isseks
    Barry Isseks Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    They never go into high speed mode.
  • Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Barry:
    This is where I suggest you talk to Support through HELPDESK.  Under normal conditions, you'll need to get the radio pretty hot before the case fans go to HIGH.  This is for modes like Full Power Digital, AM, and FM.  SSB and CW usually won't get the internals hot enough to require HIGH.    Because you are already having some issue with overheat, I would NOT suggest you test my statement..... No need to risk damage to your rig if one of the internal fans is misbehaving.

I'm going to step back and let the "Pros" take over.  I was one... now I get to call and bug them too!  Sorry I couldn't be of more help over the holiday weekend.  I'm sure it's frustrating.

Good luck with your resolution.

73,Greg - K5GJ

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    FWIW, DDUtil can report the Flex 6000 internal heat sink temperature..  The high speed fan should turn on at about 70 deg C  and turn off again when the temperature is reduce to about 55 deg..

AL, K0VM
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Barry - I am still waiting for you to reply to my questions asked in your HelpDesk ticket.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.