Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Headset recommendations

RadioPhil
RadioPhil Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in Amateur Radio Interests
Hamvention Day So I am sitting at home doing my Dayton Hamvention shopping with no one to ask on experiences/recommendations. I would like to buy a Top Quality headset - ideas are for active noise reduction as opposed to heavy headset with sound insulation, a profiled speech response like the Shure 444 - or do I accept a wideband mic and do it all In the Flex 6600 Maestro So ideas based on real experience please - I have just saved $1200 on airfares, car rental & hotel - so we have “available budget” - I need my “Dayton me Gift” Actually saved more than that - XYL usually goes shopping while I am away ! Phil G4UDU

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited May 2020
    Hi Phil

I have tried active noise reduction with my Aircraft headset on HF and I didn't like the audio and went back to my RadioSport headset.  Active Noise Reduction (ANR) will affect the audio you receive.  Also, I never operate in the same background noise as I would be when I am flying.

If you want to try light and active noise, I would have a look at the Bose series but you will have to manufacture your own adapters cables.  Not a big deal, but doable.  It will soak up most of your $1200 and you can look into Aircraft Spruce as a supplier.  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/headsets.html

Many use the Shure 444, but I do often ask if you need such a high quality mic if our TX audio is only 50hz to 3000hz (most of the time).  While the Flex does do ESSB, it can be considered a waste of bandwidth by some operators.  But, that is a personal preference.

I really like all the headsets that Radio Sport makes.  They are actually pretty comfortable.  Not light, but I don't seem to notice it.

Mike va3mw

• Phil N3ZP
    Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I also recommend the Radiosport RS60 headset. I bought mine at Dayton last year and have been very pleased with it. The receive audio is very good and the transmit audio seems excellent also. I use it for CW as well as SSB. Although the appear bulky they are comfortable to wear and are very good for blocking ambient noise. They have a quality feel and have replaceable cotton covers over the ear pads.

I was hoping to buy their lightweight headset at Dayton this year for use with my PC for remote operation but I'll have hope they may offer a Dayton special deal in-line and just order a pair.

At Dayton they didn't have headsets in stock but I was able to try them and and made the purchase. Shipment was only a couple days.

I am sure there will be other recommendations also. Good luck with your selection.

Phil N3ZP
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Another one to look at is the Inrad W1. Sold by Vibroplex and other ham radio dealers. Most comfortable headset I have ever used, and the audio quality is superb, both receive and transmit. Quite light weight as well. It is available in the UK from Nevada Radio.

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I have the big cushion Radiosport M360/EM56 headset. I don't notice the bulk just the comfort. While not noise cancelling like my Peltor M2RX7A2-01 ($99 Amazon, built-in car radio) headphones, the ear pillows block all external noises below 80dB (really). The EM56 (blue one) is a rag chew mic. It works great in contests but it's a rag chew mic. The Radiosport - Headset -to- Radio Cable -Flex Maestro, part number is; CS6-MAE And David Bottom, WI6R was a big help mic and cable selection. And he provides great support after the sale. Is this headset is worth it ($450)? Its my dream headset, whether you wear them all day in a contest or just an hour, they are comfortable and you can launder the ear covers (sox). Sorry I don't know the model number for the cable adapter I'm using with the 6600 but he'll know. I travel without the big headset, I actually have tried a handful of mics with the Maestro. I have a Heil Pro-Micro (electret mic version). Its comfortable but I had to make an adapter box to get the mic connected. I'm using a $25 headset (mic on cord design by Auvio) , best TX audio and good sound . The light weight Radiosport headset was not comfortable.
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Craig and I have a friend that uses a pair of custom molded ear plugs that have a pair of "Ear Buds" embedded in them.  He swears by them, uses them on DXpeditions etc.  The molded plugs keep the noise out, the only thing he hears is his FLEX.   He tells me that my headset is clunky.  You might look at  this solution.

Gayle K0FLY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.