Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Headset for iOS use?

John
John Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for iOS
Which wired headset to use for best xmt audio when using iOS to control flex?

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

I've had very good success with the Bose QC20 earbuds with an iPhone 7 Plus. They are active noise cancelling so good when flying and sound great when listening to music.

I also use a Plantronics Voyager Legend Bluetooth earpiece.

Dave wo2x

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Surprisingly I have been getting superb audio comments from the Apple Ear Buds that came with my old iPhone...I also use an inexpensive Logitech Bluetooth Headset - again with great results

The point being... your Flex Radio has a great audio equalizer built in to the radio software.

With a little work 

- See NM9P Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LytzQGpE5ZM

you can adjust your audio coming from your iPad to almost broadcast quality without the need to acquire expensive mikes....

Frankly - due to weight and other travel restrictions, my apple ear buds have become my primary go to headset and mike... they are small and fit in my shirt pocket

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have been looking for a good iOS headset to use. Bluetooth or not, doesn't matter.

Is there a cable for the Radiosport headsets that will work with iOS? That would be preferred. 

I love my bose QC25 (especially for air travel, it makes a long haul flight so much more tolerable) but the included microphone is awful. Equalizer or not, it sounds terrible.  Besides, I want a boom mic. 

Any other recommendations? My priorities:

Noise canceling (active or passive)
    Good mic
    ABility to travel (carrying case) would be a bonus.
  • spopiela
    spopiela Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Yah! I searched and searched and finally settled for the Logitech bluetooth headset. I love it. No noise cancellation, but my local contacts on 6 meters give me good ratings on the audio quality. Earphones are "on the ear" design. May be a drawback on a plane..... but easy to carry. Audio on HAM sideband is very limited in bandwith! The Flex 6k has great control over receive and transmit audio with the provided equalizers. Why pay a lot for a headset that can never expand your audio listening? Enjoy! 73s Stan N1THL
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Well I have the Bose for airline use. Comes in handy as I sometimes do long haul flights (last two were to Buenos Aires and Seoul from NYC). So that is not super important. More of a nice to have. 
  • spopiela
    spopiela Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The Logitech headset has been available for a few years. It is comfortable and highly adjustable. The mike extends from the headpiece only a few inches and folds up into it for storage. Logitech also supplies a USB dongle for laptops. I use that with a windows laptop and smartsdr. I've tried using Vox with the iPad and it works nicely. Nice to roam around while gabbing.
    Stan
    N1THL
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I see Jet.com has it for about $75. Decent price. I'm gonna grab one. Thanks :)
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Yikes, these Lithium  battery fires are getting even worse.   Didn't say what brand...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/headphone-batteries-explode-flight-australia-070000773--finance.html

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    ... music was to Hot !
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Last flight I was on, the gate agent had a sign that said "Note 7 banned on board" and they were very serious. She asked to look at my phone and when I showed her it was an iPhone she let me on board... This was with Aerolineas. Not sure what other airlnes are like with it. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Chris - I bet she was listening to the May 9, 1977 Grateful Dead show at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, New York.   That was one hot show!  I had a bootleg of that show on cassette until my tape player ate it.  Now I have the Internet!

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-05-09.mtx.seamons.98168.flac16/gd77-05-09d1t01.flac

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...

Here is the one I have used on my iPad for years. $36 Great audio reports "FM BRoadcast Quality"
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Oh, even better. Ordered. 
    Thanks!
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited March 2017
    If it's good enough for Ria its good enough for me I also ordered one.

roger
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hmm you should wait until I get a chance to complain about it, lol. 

But I can always return it, and my cc has return protection if Amazon balks. 
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    My only complaint is that the foam disintegrated after several years of use Easier to buy a new one than **** around with the foam
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have a set of the Logitech as well and like them. But I have gotten excellent reports with both the built-in iPad and iPhone microphones, and the little white ear buds that came with my iPhone 6. They key is to spend some time setting the TX EQ and other levels.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have a set of the Logitech as well and like them. But I have gotten excellent reports with both the built-in iPad and iPhone microphones, and the little white ear buds that came with my iPhone 6. They key is to spend some time setting the TX EQ and other levels.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I agree 100%. I mostly use the Apple Earbuds now unless I feel like walking around. Then I use the Logitech. Ken is 100% correct ...it takes EQ adjustments no mater which mike we use.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Mine are not wired but Bluetooth.  I've been using a Blue Parrott B450-XT headset!  It's very comfortable and has great noise canceling  performance.  I've been getting great audio reports with it and many comment they cannot tell I'm operating remote.   This headset is very popular with truckers. 

https://www.amazon.com/VXi-BlueParrott-B450-XT-Canceling-Bluetooth/dp/B01M3MMFA5

Cal/N3CAL 

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I tried a pair of these with my Bose QC25's but they are very cheaply made.  The wire was very thin and they didn't hold up after only a few trips.  Tx sound quality was fair to average. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited March 2017
    I also bought these and have the same comment.  The wire is hair thin and broke within two days.  Customer service, however, was excellent.  They send me a new one.  I then got the Antlion 4 ( https://antlionaudio.com/products/modmic-4 .  It is of very good quality.  I used it a lot on my npota activations.  but never could get the eq set to as good as the radiosport. If I could get the radiosport mic into a bose headset I would be in heaven.....

roger
    na4rr.     

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    My ears are too small. Apple ear buds don't fit.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Logitech Bluetooth headset arrived yesterday. Impressed with the TX audio quality. It rivals my radiosport. Lack of noise canceling is a sacrifice but I can put up with it for some portable use. imageimage
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The Bluetooth VXI BlueParrott B450-XT has really good noise canceling.  I've been using in the mobile for a couple weeks now and it works great!  Everyone I've talked to is really impressed with the audio!  
    My only request would be if the iOS App PTT was a bit larger and easier to see on the screen.   Maybe a custom sizing adjustment?   That would really help. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    So far so good. Used it on a noisy NJ transit bus this morning and I sat at the very back by the engine. On air no one really noticed the noise. However because it was not noise canceling I did hear noise. Thankfully with strong signals it's not really an issue. 

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Consider getting one of these and setting it up as a PTT button.  I use it on another remote software package that runs on Android so I am not sure how to configure it for SmartiOS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LUNAA2O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John K3MA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.