Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Have just set up the 6500. What is a good logging program and how does one configure it with the Fle

2»

Answers

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Luke,

Yes, there is an excellent forum on yahoo.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dxlab/info

The author is very active answering questions.

Jon...kf2e

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I would like to try DXKeeper, if it would display on my super high
    definition screen, but it doesn't. Fldigi runs here, but it doesn't compare
    to DM780 at all. It seems I have to stay with HRD until something
    better comes up ;-)
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yeah Jay, 'copy that'! Same here, I kinda like DM-780 and really like their logger. I never fire up HRD proper. What is nice and a huge plus is that it all (HRD suite) works together seamlessly. How many other things in our shacks do that!

Walt - kz1f
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Walt
    I don't want to dicourage anyone from using HRD, I just think everyone should explore all the other possibilities. Before commiting, to any of them. Part of the fun is trying the fun. Should it turn out to be no fun at all, you have learned something, which is part of the fun too.

Jay - NO5J 
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    That's Zen, isn't it???

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited May 2015
    You are so right Ray... I tried various logging programs before I found the one that worked best for me.... What is good for one does not mean it's good for everyone....They all have pluses and minuses sooooo....
    Best advice is to try various logging programs until you find what works best for yourself...
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Maybe. Maybe Zen needs some more of my personal attention, It's been on my bucket list for a long time. To quote something I heard from another ham.  "Ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice".

Jay - NO5J 
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Two I'd recommend looking at are LOGic9 and CommCat 4.7.  You can download trial/demo versions here:

http://www.hosenose.com/demo.aspx

http://www.commcat.com/ccldownloads.php

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Luke

download the entire DXLab suite and install  The entire suite is easily downloaded and configured  using DX launcher

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/download.htm

Once installed you can turn on only the modules you like, or tell launcher to turn on any of the programs you like automatically.  to get freq and mode data into DXLab you need to reun Commander, one of the modules and connect that via CAT to either the radio or I use DDUTIL v3 as an intermediary.  

73  W9OY
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @Ray, here is a link to the ADIF 3.04 schema definition. http://www.adif.org/304/adx304.xsd, there are also schemas for v1 and v2.

That, in turn, is used to generate an object definition which annotates the elements and permissibles. Certainly this works with Java, I suspect it can generate .NET artifacts as well.

My premise was, where ADIF is the transfer format for log files, there is no reason not to persist them in that format. For instance, to move my new log entries from HRDLog to QRZ I first have to export them to, yep, adif files and then import them into QRZ. Where QRZ knows ADIF, I will just send it to them directly, avoiding the export to disk, import from disk. I researched this before and, to my recollection, LOTW also uses ADIF that has been encrypted with your end user certificate. My code will do this also. I haven't researched eQSL yet. So on 'the other' SSDR on an Android each contact can be whisked away to the  designated endpoints, either individually, or in bulk. It'll be part of the program. HRD makes it easier, this will make it seamless.

Programmaticallly, it will be incredibly clean.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    At one point or another I've tried most of those mentioned. Each has their strong and weak points. I was a dedicated HRD user, but since they went to a subscription based service I decided that's not for me. I tried Log4OM and quickly got hooked! I had previously converted my paper logs (dating back to 1971) into an old DOS program that used the ADIF format. While the points that Ray pointed out might be true (from a programmers standpoint) functionality and backward compatibility speak loudly for me. Log4OM is very easy to use, it integrates with the DX Cluster easily (best I've seen) and their on line forum / support is every bit as good as Flex's! QSL management is both flexible and easy with all of the major e-QSL methods including LOTW. Using their YouTube videos the setup with my 6500 took about 5 minutes. Best of all, it's FREE! You owe it to yourself to at least try it.
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    I have over 85000 logged qsos in free software Logger32 - I have flex 6300 set up as radio 1 and my Icom 7400 set up as radio 2 and can switch between them instantly, and as it supports transverter operation I can see 70200.00 4m freq whilst using my 4m transverter with the flex 6300 and then switch to the ic7400 with a mouse click to get on 2m ssb. I use n1mmplus for all of my Hf and VHF contesting and then import the adif file after each contest into logger32 which handles all of the usual awards and qsl chores. Outside of contests I sit on logger32 watching the cluster and spots appearing in the slice a bandmap and click on a spot to qsy the flex to the freq. I like the grey line tracking and other optional windows and it's very customisable to get the layout that suits you. Strong rotor and antenna switching facilities if you need them and logbook of the world integration and uploading. Both program's work well for me and are free! 73 Steve gw0gei
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    So now you have a LogEntry class instance that you merely tell JPA (or the .NET facsimile) to persist(). Where callsign clearly won't work as a primary key, use a synthetic primary key and build a secondary index on callsign. Doing queries against that via the 'like' predicate which takes a regex for missing middle characters. easy peezy
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Ray. Problem solved for me. As I'm not into contesting, and will never be operating SO2R, I'm happy to stick with Logic9. 73 Winston

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.