Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Have just set up the 6500. What is a good logging program and how does one configure it with the Fle

Bob K4RLC
Bob K4RLC Member
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Logging Program set up

Answers

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Bob
    What logger are you using now? There may be no reason to change it.
    A good logger, is one that your comfortable using. image
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'd like to tag along here Bob, if that's OK with you. I am in a similar situation, as I have not yet hooked up a logging programme to my 6700. I have been using Logic 9 with my PROIII for many years now, and I really like it. It does everything I need, and more. From what I hear, most Flex users seem to use N1MM. I've had a look at N1MM and for my style of operating I would prefer to stay with Logic 9. Has any one had Logic9 operating with the Flex 6xxx series, and if so have you experienced any limitations, particularly with split operation? Winston VK7WH
  • Barry Meltzer
    Barry Meltzer Member
    edited May 2015
    "LOG4OM"
    FREE and sophisticated in a simple configuration.
    73 K3my  Barry
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    DXKeeper in DXLab works very well for me.  almost effortless to set up, also.

73, w5xz, dan

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Bob,

Of course, asking what logging program to use is like asking which is better, Ford or Chevy? 

However, I will go along with NM9P and heartily recommend the DX Labs suite of program.  It is free & will do absolutely everything.  There is a fabulous user community on Yahoo where you question will more than likely be answered by the author.  The logging portion is called "DXKeeper".

Interfacing is very simple.  Open the SmartCAT  control panel & select the "Main" tab.  Write down the port shown in the box labeled "Connect 3rd Party Program To Port".  In DX Labs, open Commander & click on "Config".  On the "Ports" tab, set the "Primary CAT Serial Port" to the value specified by SmartCAT.  That is ALL that you have to do to interface with DX Labs to SmartSDR. It took me longer to write how to do it than it took to actually do it....hi..hi.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Winston, remember that N1MM+ is a contest logging program and not really suitable for general logging.  I use N1MM+ for contests & use DX Labs as my main log. If you like Logic 9, then there should be no reason that you cannot continue to use it. simply connect Logic 9 to the serial port specified by SmartCAT -- 73, Ray, K9DUR.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Good suggestions here so far.  The ones I have experience with:

N1MM+ is one of the best for contests, I love it.  But it is not good for day-to-day logging.
    Log4OM is free, powerful, versatile, and interfaces well to the 6000 series. 
    Many people swear by HRD, a very complex suite of programs, but it is about $100 US.
    DXLabs has a great suite of programs that are freeware.

I have used N3FJP's ACLog for about 15 years, so it is my go-to logger.  As some have said, if you have one you really ****, use it.  ACLog is simple, logical, and works well.  But it doesn't implement multiple Slices, it only logs "A" Slice.  It also doesn't interface with DAX Channels for voice keyer, or send CW via CWX or CAT.  (At least I haven't figured it out yet.)  You can get ACLog for just a few Dollars.

If I needed to start from scratch, I might begin with Log4OM or DXLabs.  I just haven't gotten around to making the switch yet.

Ken - NM9P
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am rather partial to HRD-Logger. It is a respectable logger in it's own right and well integrated into the HRD family of cooperating apps. But, if you are, say, a contester, N1MM is nice. I believe, however, that even though everything should ultimately become ADIF format, once you pick a horse to ride, you pretty much have to stay on it. I suppose you could push everything up to LOTW and download it from that into a different logger. The thing that concerns me is if in the conversion entries were dropped.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I like HRD-Logger also, for me it is just about right for things I do.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If we're voting, I vote for DX Keeper, part of the DX Labs suite of programs.  Its reliable, comprehensive, and the support is the best software support for any product I've ever seen. Seriously.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The rationale behind that stmt was HRD has their own proprietary internal format. I do not know what the internal formats of the other loggers are. I don't understand why people don't internally store log information directly in ADIF. The other Smart SDR will be.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Walt,

An ADIF file is not a database but a text file.  It was designed as a standard for moving log data between different programs that use different database structures. 

From a programmer's viewpoint, a text file is okay for small amounts of data, but it is not a good choice for large amounts of data -- for example, a log with several hundreds or thousands of contacts. (I have over 16,000 contacts in my log.)  To modify a single contact, you have to search the entire file to find the desired contact, modify it, & then write the entire file back to disk.  It gets much, much worse if you need to work with groups of contacts, for example to upload to LoTW, print QSL labels, etc.

Database files on the other hand are designed to easily access a single record (contact) or a group of records.

This is why programmers do not use an ADIF file directly for log data storage.  It would be cumbersome, inefficient, & REALLY ugly to program.

DX Labs uses a Microsoft Access database as do several others.  However, many logging programs use proprietary databases.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    This is one of my reasons for hesitating switching loggers. I have used a call NOTE as a flag to make station notes and comments re: antenna and rig changes, location changes, etc. Many logging programs import/export do not always transfer contact comment entries completely, either. Once I can be assured that everything will transfer, I may change loggers.
  • Luke Reynolds
    Luke Reynolds Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I want a logger that can call up short path/long path beam headings and allow me to launch the qrz page or auto fill from QRZ. I want to get away from HRD logger.. can any of these do this?
  • Bob K4RLC
    Bob K4RLC Member
    edited August 2016

Thanks to all who have replies. As I mentioned, just set up the 6500 last night and looks like a steep learning curve. All replies are helpful.

Like Winston, I upgraded from a 756Pro3 to the 6500. Have not been on HF for about 2 years. Old logging program is Win-EQF. Installed new version on new computer used for 6500. Strange file incompatibility issue...so wondered if there was a built-in logger or one favored by the community. Anyone else use Win-EQF (now a "donationware" program) but worked well for many years.

Tnx es 73 de K4RLC

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hi Ray, yes, I understand that. In the not windows world there is JAXB which binds XML (or json) to a class. And now there is Odata. Just as there is ORM (object relational mapping) there is also now a OGM (object grid mapping). The former maps to an RDBMS and the later maps to an NSQL data store. In either case, you program is dealing with an object that can be transformed into a persistable state, i.e ADIF.  Consequently, once one has the schema for ADIF there is not really any incentive to invent one's one persistable facsimile. Well unless, of course, one captures elements not represented in ADIF 1, or 2 or 3.

I do realize .NET provides the same sort of ORM. I don't believe they do OGM.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    DXLab does all you ask and a lot more.

Jon...kf2e
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Is there a simple logging program? I do need tons of ****, I like the QRZ log, SIMPLE but resident on the "Cloud."
  • Luke Reynolds
    Luke Reynolds Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Jon I downloaded it but didn't see the beam headings do you have to use the rotator program? My rotator box is too old to be controlled via the PC
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Luke,

Dxlab has several modules you can choose to install to get more functionality. DXView is the one that provides rotor control. You can use the program without actual rotor control to show you headings, distances and a host of other info.

Jon...kf2e
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Luke,

Not sure what your rotor is but this device will likely work with your rotor to allow automated control.

http://easy-rotor-control.com/

I use one with my old Yaesu g800sa.

Jon...kf2e

• VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Ray. Yes, I will continue using Logic as it is a very comprehensive programme, very stable, and I am very comfortable with it. Somehow I was under the impression that N1MM plus was the ONLY programme that would fully utilise the capability of the Flex 6xxx series rigs. Are there any limitations with programmes other than N1MM plus that you are aware of? 73 Winston VK7WH
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have been using HamRadioDeluxe for a long time with a lot of different TRX. My IC756PRO works just as easily with HRD Log as my 6500. Add to this that it connects to WSJT-X through JTAlert and is able to upload to LoTW, eQSL and ClubLog. HRDLog uses MS Access databank format.
  • Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015

+1 for DX Labs Suite (DX Keeper). Take your time and learn each module one at a time. Great Yahoo Group and an online help wiki.

Gary W8EEY

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Setup for HRD programs: 1. Start SmartSDR 2. Start MiniDeluxe, setup to SmartCat com port 3. Start the HRD programs You can also use DDUtil to connect the HRD programs.
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I like everything about DX Labs Suite EXCEPT their steadfast refusal to include 1.25 m (220 MHz) in any way, now or in the future.  So my continuing question: If I am active 160m-70cm INCLUDING 1.25M, what logging program should I use with my 6700 and transverters?????
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    When I first started logging with a PC, I'd already installed HRD mostly because of DM780 or whatever it was called at the time. I initially used HRD's logger becaue it was already installed.
    I was comfortable wth the HRD logger. I wasn't comfortable with the rest of the HRD suite, I didn't need PC control of my radio, PowerSDR did that. DM780, and the logger were all I had any use for.
    Then I started using Fldigi, which then and now can do almost any digital mode. Fldigi led me to DXLabs and DXkeeper so I had to learn a whole other method, I'm still learning it. There is almost always another useful feature to learn, configure, and then wonder why I hadn't learned to use sooner. Compared with HRD, DXLabs is a better fit. Fldigi is a better fit too, and it interacts with DXKeeper so well that I've never used Fldigi's internal logger at all.  I don't believe that anything
    deserves the title of BEST, best so far in MY experience, is all I can attest to. I haven't really tried the other possibilities, and who knows what the future may bring. I tend to learn and use whatever works,
    and works for ME. I tend to avoid abandon-ware, when even it's creator no longer supports it and no one else has stepped in, it's time to upgrade, that said I still like my SDR1000, and PowerSDR, enough that I made sure that the PC I put together would and could still support firewire and parallel port device's even though hardware manufacturers and Microsoft have largely abandoned them.
    The only recommendation I'd make is, use whatever works, and works for you. That wll be the BEST solution for you. If someone else recommends it, then it likely works for them and might work for you too. There may actually be a BEST something, I just haven't upgraded to it yet. Maybe someday.

Jay - NO5J      
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Winston,

Flex is initially working with N1MM+ for implementing SO2R in a contesting environment.  General logging is a different story.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• Luke Reynolds
    Luke Reynolds Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Jon is there a forum for dxlab/dxkeeper. I consider myself computer savy and I am hung. When I open dxkeeper it wants me to add a "tx band" but it wont accept anything or let me precede past it

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.