Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Has anyone had the chance to try SO2R operation in contests with the 6000 series radios?

Neal_K3NC
Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
edited April 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
SO2R lets the rado look like 2 radios as far as contest software like N1MM/Writelog are concerned, so an operator could be running stations on one band while searching for multipliers on a second band.

Answers

• EMIL-DL8JJ
    EMIL-DL8JJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Hey Neal, I done four contests (CW and SSB) with it. I have used two panadapters with respective slices. On the first one, do RUN in full QSK and on second one (active) I move left and right to search the bounces and heard between the characters. Headphone I also set separately one slice per ear. I have used N1MM but it is important, that you should use slice “A” and “C” – not “B” to switch between the slice to send on active. The problem is, if you have slice “A” and “B” you will see the Flex going to “SPLIT” mode - do not work fine in this case. If you have “A” and “C” slice, you can switch to send on each other. I do run on inactive slice “A”, move active slice “C” to search. If you want to send on slice “C” click it on “TX”, click on N1MM to switch to “S&P” and go for it. The problem is that N1MM and SSDR are not 100% compatible yet. The best would be separate „SO2 slice“ modes into N1MM to support switch between both slices with single click into N1MM entry windows – one with “RUN” and second one with “S&P” settings. This should be switch also the TX btween the slices. At the moment you should use only one entry window SO1V mode/N1MM and switch manually between the slices to send in “RUN” or “S&P”. If you try to use other N1MM mode (SO2V or SO2R) you will be not able to enter the right QRG etc. REAL SO2R you can’t do it (only one TX inside). You need second RIG, if you want to send simultaneously. I use one additional TS-480SAT with separate key, paddle and NB with N1MM and do running “RUN” mode on both on the same time. It’s crazy and hard but work fine…Hi Will be nice to hear someone else use the radio in SO2R and with settings he uses. cheers Emil, de DL8JJ
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    If you are transmitting two signals at the same time I don't think that is classified as SO2R. Isn't that in the multi category? I thought that the DDUtil function of assigning a slice to a COM port was going to allow using N1MM in SO2R mode but it did not work. Pandapters did not follow the changes and weird things happened. I went to SO2V mode with two panadapters, slice A in the top and slice B in the bottom. With the two log entry windows open i could bounce between the two slices using the pause key in N1MM...TX focus would follow. I kept slice A in the left ear and slice B in the right ear. This worked fairly well but was still not SO2R. SO2R would require you to be able to Listen to VFO (slice) A while transmitting on slice B...and vice versa. That "may" have worked using both antenna inputs on the 6700 but I did not try it since the switching logic between the software and SSDR did not work when SO2R was selected. Besides being able to listen to one slice while transmitting on the other you should be able to choose some audio mixing options: 1. listen only to the frequency you are transmitting on; 2. listen only to the frequency of the opposite VFO (slice) - in the case of the 6000 series you would need to quickly be able to desitnate which slice you would be listening to in this case; 3. Adjust the mix of the audio to completely seperate ear pieces or a mixture of them. Having to adjust the individual sliders for this is cumbersome. I think a virtual knob with A on the left side of it and B on the right would be a more efficient way to adjust the audio mix between the transmitting slice and whatever other slice is designated as the SO2R slice. Other things are more contest centric, such as easier access to controls instead of requiring multiple clicks to do something. 73 Greg AB7R
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    This is from the recent CQWW rules for the single operator category: Single Operator Categories: One person (the operator) performs all operating and logging functions. There is no limit on operating time or band changes. Only one transmitted signal is permitted at any time. As soon as you have to transmitted signals simultaneously you are in the multi category.
  • EMIL-DL8JJ
    EMIL-DL8JJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Hi Greg, We do not talk about CQWW contest rules. They a many contests, you can do simultaneously send on two different bands (QRGs) without breaking any rules…Hi I have described a possibility of it. I am looking forward to read more opportunities and successful setups of single operator (regardles of the SO2R, SO2V, SO2RR etc.) I will try you setting, it also good idea until all software work properly together and give us more chances. cheers. Emil, de DL8JJ
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Hi Emil I am as well. One of my primary anticipations for the 6700 was the ability to operate SO2R from the one radio. All of the ARRL contests also stipulate only one transmitted signal at a time as well. 73 and CU on the air. Greg

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.