Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Has the receiver software changed how it uses the hardware?

Larry Loen  WO7R
Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I recently upgraded to 2.3.9.112 .  I had been far behind, running 2.1.something.

Every since I've owned a Flex, I was able to set it up the way I set up most rigs for HF.  I had any extra preamp shut off and generally set the AGC control (which I treated as if it were RF receiver gain) to a lower level -- usually in the 30s or 40s.

Since upgrading, the rig seems to behave much differently.  It cannot be the hardware fundamentals.

For one thing, I have to turn the preamp all the way on to get decent receiver performance.  And, whether I noticed it before or not, the noise floor, at least as shown on the panadapter display, dropped when I increased preamplification.

This was not a mere rescaling either.  Actual signals seemed to be about as strong as they were before.  Preamplification now simply dropped the noise floor.  This improved the signal to noise ratio.  This is contrary to my experience of HF rigs.

Also different was how the ACG "RF Gain" control worked.   It seems to have no effect I can discern until I drop it to maybe "10" or even less on the SmartSDR provided scale.

I have gotten OK performance this way ,but it really bothers me.  If there is a good explanation for this, I would appreciate having it. 

Receiver performance is very important to me, especially on the low bands,  and how I have the Flex tuned now is nothing like what I historically have done with any rig, including this very one.

Have I overlooked something?

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I don't know what may be going on there, but i can report with the latest update my receiver has been really really good.

What radio are you using,,and have you been using this radio regularly?
  • K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Have you tried downgrading to your previous release to make certain it is the new release causing the issues?  I am on 2.3.9 and keep my AGC-T around 25 and get significant attenuation of background noise.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2018
    Larry,

I'm not aware of anything that we did that would explain what you have described.  I agree with Ken that you should probably downgrade back to where you were to see if the different behavior follows you.  That would eliminate the newer software as the sole reason for the change.

You might also backup your profiles/preferences using the Export function and then do a factory reset to ensure that it isn't some inadvertent setting that has since been forgotten about.  Keep us posted on what you find.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.