Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Has the NB and ANF been fixed in the new release?

W2PP
W2PP Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
That's what I am curious about,  My NB is poor and the ANF is not as effective as my other much older ICOM radios. 

Answers

• James Whiteway
    edited May 2018
    Short answer, no.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    OK, but, I found posts up here from 2014, these are foundational operating aids, I sincerely hope Flex intends on addressing this.  I'll be chatting with them on Friday about this and several other issues.
    Peter

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

The DSP on the IC-7300 makes a world of difference to my ears, the background noise fades away and all that is left is the signal, even if you adjust them to full stop.  I can barely move the Flex DSP controls from zero without hearing degradation in the signal.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Yes we all know the Flex DSP still needs work as Flex had mentioned before. They said they will re visit it in the future. That is a project that will tie up people for some time to work on. It is a big project. The 7300 or Icom for that matter is a much different thing all together. SSDR is a very different thing from anything Icom uses in their radios. It is not clear to me that the DSP in an Icom is 100% software. Or does it share hardware for the DSP?

What I find that works very well is careful use of the AGC-T. I know, I have read were some people said they have tried working with it and find it not so effective. I don't think they really tried to understand it, IT WORKS, I can tune mine down so the noise can be hardly heard and still hear week stations.

And all the Flex DSP is not broke. The WBN is amazing, without it some day my radio can't be used and there are lots of videos showing how well it works on the net. The noise blanker is very effective on some types of noise as well, I have found that useful as well.

The NR I run at 2, any higher it messes with the audio to much.
    The ANF works to a point but needs more work as well.

None of this is a deal breaker for me as the AGC-T is so effective for noise control.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bill:
        I appreciate your thoughtful response, however, the issue is that this has been a known issue for more than four years.  In context, that is an unacceptable amount of time.  Fix in the "future" is a dissatisfying response.  
    Peter
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    That is just how software development goes, remember, everything that they do in SSDR is breaking new ground, never been done before in SSDR, so they learn as they go and sooo much testing needed.

PSDR on the other hand was over ten years in development before Darren got working on it improving things.
    It took 5 years before we got persistence, that was a pain as most things would not save when closing the software. And they worked 6 years to get the DSP to work as well as they got it. Remember?

So in the long term, I think Flex has done a great job on SSDR considering it is much more complicated to work on then PSDR was.

Anyways this conversation is so old and keeps coming up on every release. Nothing we can do or say hear can change Flex long term plans as to when they address anything. But be sure of this,,they read all this and hear us....
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    The fix is probably on the same schedule as fixing DAX corruption
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    No, those issues were not addressed in the current release.  You can determine what was and was not included in the release by reviewing the SmartSDR V2 ChangeLog (http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr_v2_changelog-txt/).
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Today, my NB, NR and ANF seem to be working much better.  I am using the latest version

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Tim, Yes it is working much better in the latest version.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Odd as they didn’t touch it
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Amen
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    For basic things I couldn't agree more.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I just checked and mine are unchanged as Tim had indicated...
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    DSP algos have been around for over 20 years. Hopefully FRS is not reinventing the wheel as Bill is suggesting.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. License the code from someone who has already mastered it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.