Has the bug in V2.4.9 that would not allow transmit on the 630 & 2200 meter bands been fixed in V3?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
I do not use remote operating nor do I have any use for the multiFlex feature in V3.  I am interested in operation on the 630 & 2200 meter bands and that is not possible with V2.4.9 and that was my primary interest in upgrading to V3.  However, I did not see in the changelog list for V3 that the bug preventing transmit on 630 & 2200 meters has been corrected. 

I was also disappointed to learn that the DXLab package is not supported in V3.  Since I have been using DXLab for many years and wish to continue using it, I see no reason to upgrade to V3.

The next question is.  Will the next update to V2 fix the transmit bug for 630 & 2200 meters?

I upgraded to the Flex-6600 last October from a fully loaded (including VU) Flex-5000a that I used for eight years.  I also invested in transverters for the 144, 222, 432 & 1296 bands to go with the 6600 and with the expectation that I would also be able to operate on 630 & 2200 meters.  I hope I did not make a poor decision!  
Photo of John Swink

John Swink

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Lucas - W6AER

Lucas - W6AER

• 72 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
My understanding is that in order to operate the 630 and 2200 meter bands, one needs to use the XVRT port which has very low power output and therefore needs amplification. If there is another way, can someone please jump in. But I am not aware of another way.

I purchased a small 5W amp on ebay ($50 or so I think it was) to play around with it and to try and modify my 160m antenna (via a loading coil and bucket variometer) but have not had much time. I can receive wonderfully on both 630 and 2200 using the 160m antenna and have let it run overnight with WSPR. Picked up a dozen stations, mainly on 630 but there is some activity on both bands. 

As a side note, I also have 3 transverters for VHF/UHF as well as a transverter selector I built and all works very well. Using the 6600M here. 
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 924 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
I believe this is correct....
Photo of John Swink

John Swink

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I was told by Mike at Flex that this was a known bug in V2.4.9 and that I would need to go back to V2.3.9 which I have not done as I was expecting the bug to be fixed in V3.
Photo of Lucas - W6AER

Lucas - W6AER

• 72 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Well, I have not tried with 2.49 so possible that it is a bug. I will try and check once I get back from Visalia IDXC, I already made the move to 3. But I suspect if you did not see it in the changelog then perhaps it has sadly not been addressed. I really hope this gets fixed as this is a major bug in my opinion.
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 897 Posts
  • 342 Reply Likes
I will need to check on the 2200 and 630 band fix.  If you have an issue number that was associated, that will help me in my research.

Note that several people have reported using DX Lab successfully with v3.  There are some things that won't work in the current version (mute, audio gain, etc), but the basic operation is fine.
Photo of John Swink

John Swink

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Eric,
I was assigned ticket #28163 on 26 Dec 2018.  Your e-mail to me on 27 Dec stated that this was a known problem and would be fixed in the next version.  The workaround was to go back to V2.3.9.  Hope this info helps.
Photo of Andrew Russell

Andrew Russell

• 277 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Eric, John,
I have had no trouble with TX on the transverter port of my 6500 on 630m and 2200m with 2.4.9.
Andrew VK5CV

(Edited)
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 894 Posts
  • 341 Reply Likes
We also went and tested it both on v2.4.9 and on v3.0.19 and didn't have a problem on our bench.  John -- Can you tell us more about what you tried on v2.4.9 that didn't work?  Maybe we are testing in a different way.

We simply went to those bands, set the TX Antenna to XVTR and hit Tune and immediately saw the output in the Panadapter.
Photo of John Swink

John Swink

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Until mentioned here, I was unaware that you needed to use XVTR for the transmit antenna.  If it is stated in the software user guide, I missed it.  My previous tests were done using TX ANT 1 & 2, which would not transmit.  When I set the TX ANT to XVTR A or B and hit tune, the transmitter activated with some output showing on the panadapter as you stated in your test. 

With the RF Power slider set to maximum, how much power output should I expect on the 630 & 2200 meter bands?

Since I am already using both XVTR outputs to drive transverters, I will need to add some type of switch before the transverters to select the antennas for the new bands.  This will certainly complicate the antenna switching process as I had originally expected to use my coax switch from ANT 1 to feed the new antennas.  I also expected that the TX output on these bands would be closer to 100 Watts, which will require the addition of an amplifier.  This was not my understanding when I decided to upgrade to the Flex-6600.
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 948 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
Hi  John

On the specs of the radio, it specifies XVTR ports from 100khz-54Mhz 0 to +10dbm.  This is under the Transmitter section.

If we talked on the phone about it, I always specify that the RF out is on the XVTR port.  

I haven't had a chance to go through the SmartSDR User Guide yet, but there are numerous conversations on the Flex Community regarding 630M or 2200M operation.  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/630m-2200m-using-flex

Mike