Has anyone tried 4G cellular modem for an internet connection to remote the 6000 series? If so, how did it work out?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Photo of Ronald Forkner

Ronald Forkner

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3543 Posts
  • 1400 Reply Likes
Yes so far I have iPad Remoted from22 different countries and from 11,500' via 3G and 4G. 3G is OK if you have at least 2Mb/s 4G is usually better than most hotel WIFI. The only issue is latency. Good enough for SSB and digital. Not CW

BTW. currently running 4G remote while XYL drives us home from LA.
(Edited)
Photo of K2CM

K2CM

• 265 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I connected into my F6.7K with my laptop using a cell phone as a 4G hot spot. Worked quit well!
Photo of Ronald Forkner

Ronald Forkner

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for the quick responses. Being a CW guy latency drives batty. My micro-ranch is in central Oregon, and I'm 5 miles from a Verizon 4G tower. It is line of sight, and I can actually see it, so maybe I should plan a short trip and try it out. 
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3543 Posts
  • 1400 Reply Likes
Latency runs about 15-50ms locally, 50-100ms nationally and 100-300+ ms Internationally.  Not an issue for SSB or Digital Ragchewing.. International Latency is a bit too long to run rate in SSB contests.

CW.. the only way to run CW right now is via CWX -  QSK needing 8ms would be an issue...

But it you are not to quick off the trigger, you can do CW - just don't expect full break-in on a cellular network.

On the way back from Visalia DX Convention flying @ 155kt in a Centurion at 11,500' I managed a 20M SSB QSB over 4G cellular.. so everything is possible...