Has anyone configured a Flex 6500 to work with ALE

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • (Edited)
I am trying to configure MARS ALE to work with my 6500. I get it to work but the relays in the radio are clicking like crazy... It's not the antenna tuner as I have it shut off so I am guessing its the preselector. I have only run it for a few seconds as I don't think it can be good for the relays.

Is there a way to turn off the preselector? Say via CAT?

Once ALE locks I would like the Antenna Tuner to tune and the preselector to come back on... can this be done via CAT?

Any thoughts?

Photo of Steven Catani

Steven Catani

• 23 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 849 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
MARS-ALE is in many ways similiar toPC-ALE , but has not been updated since 2008.
The last PC-ALE beta update has been in 2014.

Look at Tim's and Andrew's commentaries at the end.

I had PC-ALE working with my Flex-6k5 and the Kenwood settings, but found that it works
much better with my "old" ICOM IC-756pro and a microHAM DigiKeyer II.
Photo of Chuck - KJ6HT

Chuck - KJ6HT

• 47 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I have a commercial ALE radio now but the 6500 performed well for me with MARS-ALE. If you zoom the pan-adapter all the way out it will help minimize the relay activity as this puts the radio in "Wide" mode and minimizes pre-selector operation.  I found that using the MMI-RADIO commands will lead to much better results than using the stock Kenwood or Flex-3000/5000 pre-loaded setup. Make sure you use and understand the MMI_RADIO command scheme, this will greatly minimize the relay operation, pay special attention to QSS. QSS is short for Quiet Scan, it is acheived by a series of CAT commands that open a Slice B and set the TX flag on that slice when you start the scan. This causes the tuner to setup for the frequency chosen for slice B and stops it from operating on all of the frequencies that are being scanned on slice A. When it is time to transmit, the scanning stops, slice B is removed and the TX flag is now on slice A. The tuner immediately recalls for that channel and the radio transmits. It takes a bit more research and work but the MMI-RADIO setup is worth the time. There is a sample set of MMI-RADIO commands that are included with MARS-ALE. They happen to be for a Kenwood TS-480 so many of the commands can be used for the Flex 6XXX series. Regarding your questions,  there is no CAT control of the pre-selector that I am aware of. If you pre-tune all of the ALE frequencies and use the QSS scheme you should have great results.