Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hardware revision to Flex 6500

Paul M
Paul M Member ✭✭
I have been looking at the used 6500's that have been on the market lately and would like to know if there has been a significant hardware revision since it was first shipped.  Most of the units I have seen are early 2014 to  late 2014.  Is there a reason to buy a newer unit or is the hardware the same as being shipped today?

Answers

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Not an expert by any stretch, but my understanding is that the actual hardware has remained the same -- only the firmware has changed significantly :-)

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Adding to Donald's comments that the h/w seems to be close to the early release. In the official response to similar question:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/bit-the-bullet-and-purchased-a-used-6500-a-2013-mod...

Tim said there are "no required updates" to the h/w. My interpretation is the firmware/software runs "the same or substantially the same" on the complete 6500 line. In the s/w release notes there have been no exceptions as to h/w vintage.

A slightly different twist, the h/w is fixed without an upgrade path:
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/hardware_upgrade_capability_for_6000_series

Not unexpected, as the firmware IS the update.  After using a 6500 for a year now it seems the h/w problems are nonexistent and it's up to the s/w and firmware for new features or bug fixes. 

HNY  

Tim  -  k3Tim/6

• Gary
    Gary Member
    edited June 2020

There was a hardware change I believe mid 2014 ... something called the PIN or something like that. It required the unit be returned. The unit I bought recently was made in early 2014 (week 11) but didn't ship to the first owner until August and it had the PIN mod done before it shipped.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hi Gary,
    If you are referring to the PEN update, it only applied to 6700s and then only some of them.  I have the details on my web page:

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.8
    Win10

• Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    as far i knot PEN update on 6700  was adding 2 tantalum capacitor on PCB
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    There was a small update on some early 6300's that dealt with Audio grounding/balance issues at the 8-pin foster mike connector. There was a small hardware update on the 6700 to provide additional cooling and performance for future high processing applications. There were some early changes to some early-run Maestro's. Those are the only hardware updates I remember for the past four years. I don't recall any changes done on the 6500, which is what I own. The only hardware problems I have had with it were self-inflicted... lightning damage because I foolishly left the antenna connected on the wrong day!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.