Hamcation 2019

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Well at the tender age of 72 I have gone and done it! What? Booked to fly to the good old USA and attend Hamcation 2019. So the question is - will there be a Flex dinner and if so based on previous years, would it be worth an old fogey like me attending? And, if there is a dinner, how do I book and pay?

TIA
Tim
Photo of Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

• 152 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

• 152 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Sorry, hit return to soon - if there isn't a Flex dinner, who is up for arranging something ourselves. Never having been to Hamcation before, I don't know the area and what is available so I would have to rely of the guys more in the know what would good. My own plans are to stay on International Drive, Orlando and drive to Hamcation every day. I don't drink but I love big juicy steaks!

Ideas anyone?

Tim
Photo of K8AC

K8AC

• 47 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
While in Orlando, don't miss Skycraft Parts and Surplus.  The freeways in Orlando are under heavy construction and it's a good idea to have a GPS in the car.
Photo of Tom O'Boyle

Tom O'Boyle

• 20 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I will be headed there for the 1st time as well.  If the Flex group gathers, let me know.  I also will be staying on Intl Drive.  73 de Tom, N9GUN

Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 703 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Flex usually gets together at HAMVENTION in Ohio. I've never heard of one in Orlando, I could be wrong.
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 468 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Several years ago Flex hosted a hospitality suite one evening. Only a handful of attendees showed up, so I guess Flex lost interest in having an event in Orlando.
Those that did show up had a great time seeing remote access and talking with the Flex staff including Gerald. I would like to see an informal event at Orlando.
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 912 Posts
  • 234 Reply Likes
I'll be at Hamcation as well, and will stay tuned to hear if a group dinner will happened.

Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

• 152 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
I know that Flex will be at Hamcation but, at the moment, there are no plans for a Flex evnt, e.g. a dinner. Perhaps if enough people shout loudly enough....

Failing Flex organising something, perhaps everyone planning go could arrange something. I can't because I live in France and it's 30 years since I was last in Orlando!

Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 132 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Tim,

At the ripe old age of 73, come to the Dayton Hamvention next year (you are a year older than I am).  Flex has a huge exhibit, well-staffed with many operating positions (I got personal expert counseling on setting up my 6600M for various operations).  In addition, Flex sponsored dinners on two nights.  On the night I went, at least 150 attended.  I had a great time.  In addition, the flea market is huge, there are many interesting forums, and their is an array of related activities, such as extended contesting and QRP educational sessions, contest and DX oriented dinners, etc. 

Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

• 152 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Hi Neil,

Much as I would like to spend my time coming to the US and going to all the big Hamfests, I suspect that Hamcation will be my first and last trip to a big event.

There are a multitude of reasons but the main ones are money and old age. I do not have the money to spend on lots of nice boxes that will be trying to cajole me into buying them - these days, one radio, two antennas, a psu and computer are all I need, but not all I want! When I think back to some of the radios I have owned, Yaesu FT One, Kenwood 850 & 790 - both bought in the US fully loaded, Yaesu FT1000, Icom 775DSP and many more, I still miss them but within 2 weeks of owning a Flex 6300, I knew that I could never go back to a 'knobbed' radio - doesn't mean I wouldn't like to own them! 

I will be collecting a Flex 6600 when I am at Hamcation and I fully expect it to be a superb radio.

Old age is the other major factor, due to cancer, my mobility is somewhat restricted and when I saw that I could hire an electric scooter at Hamcation and that the ground is nearly all level, that made my mind up so I booked my ticket.

The only regret is that Flex don't seem to have any plans for a dinner or something similar, I would love to meet other Flex enthusiasts and learn from them.

Tim
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 132 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Tim I wish you the best.  Enjoy the Florida trip.  Hope to work you Flex-to-Flex some day. -- Neil
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1787 Posts
  • 622 Reply Likes
There is a banquet / get together planned for two nights typically in DAYTON but not in ORLANDO.   The registration usually opens in late January.  Here is an excerpt from LAST year.

Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
Win10

(Edited)
Photo of Joel Swapp KO6FL

Joel Swapp KO6FL

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey Tim-When at Orlando Hamcation take the time to stop by booth 091 and say hello to another 6500 owner. Will be there embroidering caps as a vendor. Looking forward to seeing you. Will make you a special deal on a new cap.

Last year being a new flex owner I was very interested in a banquet in Orlando but sadly found out it did not happen in Orlando. I did however get to go to one of the two banquets in Xenia during the Dayton show. Very nice event including the food and talks.

Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

• 152 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Thanks Joel, that's a kind offer, Ill do my best to come and see you.
Tim