Hamcation 2016

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
How about something like Dayton @ Orlando?
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 511 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 677 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
What are you talking about? The clogged toilets? Please, don't wish that on the Hamcation...I'm going.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
or the parking lot "volcano"?
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
yikes brown tide
(Edited)
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1467 Posts
  • 739 Reply Likes

If you mean the Flex Banquet, that would be awesome, as unless other work needs bring me to Dayton at the Hamvention timeframe, I too am looking at Hamcation and Hamcon for 2016.

Steve K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 511 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Banquet with 6700 raffle would be great.[sell tickets at the booth to get the volume up]. FRS could speak on some emerging technology to keep us interested.
Photo of Gary Wise

Gary Wise

• 79 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I will be at Hamcation this year (for the first time). I'm assuming that Flex will be there.

I'm wondering, who from Flex will be there (Tim?). Looking forward to meeting other Flexers.

Gary W4EEY
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
Oh yes, we will be there with bells on.  We have not finalized the entire crew yet, but a vast majority of the customer service, engineering and management team will be in attendance.  The only time I have missed Dayton with FlexRadio was when I had just gotten out of the ICU and was not ambulatory, so I am planning on being there.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1467 Posts
  • 739 Reply Likes

Please keep us posted as like many folk I too have decided to do Hamcation rather than Dayton.

Just makes more sense to spend our time & money going to somewhere warmer and a destination in itself, than spending even more to do the Hamvention in decidedly dowdy-Dayton.

Better Hotel costs, much better airfare and then the better domestic costs (no offset for a second trip to make up for Dayton) make Hamcation a no-brainer.

Adding a professional need to be in the same area a few days later is sweetener.

Even a less formal banquet type presentation at Hamcation would be appreciated.

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
We (including me) will be at Hamcation too.  Here is our 2016 Hamfest schedule
http://www.flexradio.com/about-us/events/
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 615 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
See you in Orlando!
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
Steve, Matt and I are coming for sure.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1467 Posts
  • 739 Reply Likes
If nothing official gets set up, please advise and I'll get something lined up for a Lunch on Saturday or even on Sunday.

I'd also appreciate a chance to talk about your GGOB experience in business organization.  

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
I vote for boxboro 2016.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Just by way of a correction. Boxboro hamfest...it's technical name is
ARRL New England Division Convention. I think the hamfest part is in the parking lot. (It's a small thing, but it's a thing). The goal is to have this be the main draw in this part of the country. It does draw international visitors. How many Flex owners are in New England? We might like a banquet too.

http://www.boxboro.org/about.html
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3740 Posts
  • 1602 Reply Likes
@Steve

Dayton is " Dowdy"?

Rather it's a Pigsty. Not fit for human consumption.

BUT it's still where all the new stuff is announced.

So for some of us Dayton is a Must. Until the vendors move announcements elsewhere.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4203 Posts
  • 1338 Reply Likes
I can drive to Dayton in a little over 3 1/2 hours from my location.
it is still the best deal for me, even though the place has gone downhill.
But then, many smaller hamfests in Indiana are held in 4-H facilities with some of the flea-market spaces in the livestock stalls (after they are cleaned up)
That is Midwest living at its finest!  We are used to the great outdoors and sometimes bring it indoors!

I am hoping to make it to Dayton again this year, but my schedule is still a little up in the air.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1467 Posts
  • 739 Reply Likes

Agree - but to answer that "Chicken and Egg" question of which moves first, excepting if I were to be paid to be at Dayton my attending is not happening. 

I offered the XYL a couple choices, telling her I wanted to attend a ham event (or a few) in 2016 and Orlando was a super easy sell, Germany was next but it unfortunately conflicts with other travel for us this year, and she's always okay for the much smaller W9DXCC in the Chicago metro come autumn. 

Now to be fair if during January or February in Wisconsin I suggested travel to about anywhere sunny & warm it is an easy sell.

With virtualization whether by net press releases, streamed video or first hand accounts from attendees, I simply could make no case for Dayton other than to meet with friends.  Even the family we have near Dayton in Ohio (which all have their licenses) refuse to attend the event at the Harra.  As one of the wives said - "we attend horse shows all over that are 100 times nicer than that Hamvention, and furthermore if we wanted to slum it there are closer dumpsters we could crawl in and have a picnic." 

I think the years where pong blew up outside (that isn't bubbling crude Jethro) and there were simultaneously almost no working toilets & air-conditioning finished off everyone's enthusiasm.

We did consider Hamcon in TX and the Pacific coats events, but logistics & costs didn't favor them for us.

Steve K9ZW 

Photo of Roger Rockwell/na4rr

Roger Rockwell/na4rr

• 69 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
We are planning on being there in Building 3.  Look forward to seeing all the Flex folks.

roger
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 286 Reply Likes
An Orlando based Flex banquet might be a great addition at some point.  The area is loaded with banquet venues and hotels.

73  W9OY
Photo of Kent Hufford

Kent Hufford

• 50 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
The ARRL Convention is in Orlando this year. Great time to have a FLEX Dinner on Saturday night. Time to start an new tradition!
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
Official Response
Stay tuned for more details.  Not a dinner yet but a hospitality suite.  We will announce more when we have the details nailed down.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1467 Posts
  • 739 Reply Likes

@Gerald - have any final plans been made?

Can stop by the table to check as well.

All best and 73

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 286 Reply Likes
The florida contest group has a dinner at orlando every year. You might try to cooridinate something with them. Pres is k1to@aol.com dan. Maybe invite the contesters over before their dinner or something. There are a lot of big shot contesters in that group

73 W9OY
(Edited)
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 511 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.