Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ham Radio Work Bench

Options
Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I want to thank George KJ6VU from Ham Radio Work Bench for hosting the post cast we did the other night.

We had a blast and talked about a bunch of things.  A lot of Flex radio, some remote HF operating ideas and even Node-Red for making a Remote Control Dashboard you can be proud of.  

You can listen to it here:  http://www.hamradioworkbench.com/podcast/flex-radio-and-remote-operating-updates

Mike va3mw

Comments

• tparish
    tparish Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Mike that podcast ROCKED.  I'm a fairly new 6400/Maestro owner and I'm keenly interested in the remote capabilities. Your shared insights were priceless. Especially the part about NODE-Red. Loved hearing about all your projects.  I passed that podcast along to a number of other Hams.appreciatively
    Tom KB5RF
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Tom,

Mike and Andreas, N6NU got me hooked on Node Red. I have mine set up for remote control and monitoring of the KPA1500 amp, Yaesu G1000dxa rotor with Idiom Press serial card, Data Loggers Web Switch Pro , and radio info from 6600.

The programming language is not bad and you create flows for each group. It uses blocks for different things you want to do like parse information from a data stream, input button, send commands to the amp or radio, etc.

For anyone interested in the Node Red project i can share my programming to get you started and see how it works, then customize it to your needs. Very cool stuff indeed.

Dave wo2x

This is a screenshot from my iPad.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Lot's of interesting news....

Smart SDR update out "any day now" including a new feature allowing Maestro control of Smart SDR?

Interesting talk on  IBM product, Node Red, and the doors it opens to integrate multiple third party apps and devices.  Not a Flex product but appears ripe for developers to provide new products and soluions.  Do I have that correct?  A quick read of the IBM website says it is intended only for developers??

Alan
    WA9WUD
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi Alan

The developer turn is pretty wide.  What it means is that it is those that want to role your own.  As an example, unless you eat out all the time, you are a developer in your kitchen.  Here is some of the node-red discussion:  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/remote-operating-and-node-red.  In fact, I just looked at Dave WO2X's current panel, and I am going to ask him to send me his 'flow' for his Radio Info panel.   You can then take it to the point where the radio knows what your Amp is going (we do that already with the PGXL), but maybe even other vendors.  Or, make up some IFTT rules.

The Flex product line has always been wide open for others to connect and control the radio.  In fact, that is how the iOS and MAC clients were developed.    There are many many products available today that integrate with a Flex Radio.  This is what makes it an amazing platform for not only an appliance style of operation but those that want to take it to the next level--what ever that is.  

Cool, eh? (spoken in my best Canadian)

de va3mw
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Thanks, Mike

I did pick up on your comments about a new Flex API coming out that has allowed you to do more with node-red.  The Flex API is territory I have not ventured into.

For myself, this all sounds very exciting.  For remote control, I am currently using Apple iHome to control a number of relays and have numerous third-party apps in server/client mode as part of my normal "flow", like PST rotor.    I consider myself somewhat able to read the manuals and integrate apps at the user level. For more adance integrations, like maybe node-red, I am hoping others will "kick start" the interfaces, like was recently done with FRStack and the stream device (or is that comparing apples and oranges?). 

I will follow the links in the community message board to see what others have done so far.

Alan
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited September 2019
    Options
    No new API, just the current ones.  :)  You don't need to use the API's to talk to the radio.  You can talk directly to the radio with a simple TCP connection.  http://wiki.flexradio.com/index.php?title=SmartSDR_TCP/IP_API

I'm not a programmer at all, but I was able to figure it out with some help from those in the Community.  I just had to learn it.  Never stop learning.  It keeps you sharp as we grow older.  Just do it! 

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Mike - can u provide a link to the video you mentioned in the podcast about using multiflex and connecting to another's radio. Couldn't find it.'
    73 Paul w2eck
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited September 2019
    Options
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    that's it - thanks
    73 Paul
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi Dave.  I would be interested in seeing your code for some examples.  I am just getting started with Node Red with Flex radio.  Very cool stuff !!  Thanks -Joe N3HEE

Email good on QRZ
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi Joe, saw the email from Mike Walker. Check your inbox in a bit. Dave wo2x
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Thanks Dave. 

I have noticed that some messages being sent by my radio over TCP port 4992 never seem to change no matter what the radio is set to.  For example, it always sends a "speed" message of 30 ?  Also always sends a mode message of CW ?  Am I missing something or is there a bug in Flex messaging ? 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Look at my FlexRadio flow I just sent. The top line has a TCP in, then trigger block, and then TCP out.

The top trigger block is what sends the commands to the radio. So if you want to customize it to send other commands you can have a button - trigger - TCP out to initiate commands from a button on the Node Red UI.

Dave wo2x

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I undertand that part and have that working.  What I was talking about is parsing messages sent from the radio to display on Node Red dashboard.  Such as frequency, mode, cw speed, power, etc.  It seems there is a problem in that many of those messages never change.  Such as mode, cw speed, etc.  I've been watching the msg.payload in the debug window.  If I switch the radio from CW to LSB the mode message still says CW ?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Not sure, never played with it that much. Last 2 months have been a blur for me.

If you want, send me a flow with what you are attempting to do and I will try to debug it here later or tomorrow.

Dave wo2x

• Gene
    Gene Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Dave, can you send me your code also? I installed Node Red but need to get some examples for interfacing to different equipment. Thanks.

k5pa@arrl.net is a good address.

Much thanks, Gene, K5PA

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Can I make a recommendation that we post it in the NodeRed discussion so all those interested can see and learn?  

I will be doing that with mine, once I clean it up.  I will also add it to GIT or the NodeRed flow page.

Mike

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Absolutely.  Link please :)
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi Gene. Sure will. Will not be til this evening though Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.