Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ham Nation Reviews the Icom 7300

Comments

• Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Well said... In the old days you would have to buy a whole new box "radio" if the manufacturer had an update, or send your box in to let them update the firmware hard coded to a chip. Not to get off topic but some complain about having to pay the 2.0 upgrade fee. I see this as a lot cheaper solution than having to buy a whole new box. So yes you point about SDR is well taken
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Steve two points:
    1. The FCC never mention hobby in relation to amateur radio, they think it's a service and one should do something to earn the privilege to be on the air.
    2. When I bought the 5000 it was under the assumption new features would be added for a lot longer than it was but Flex labeled it mature and no more features thus when I bought the 6300 I was forewarned and I expect nothing more than WAN (however I did not think you would stop working on it for a year). That said I expect the reasonable $200 fee and I hope you have 2.0 before the next fool takes office as U.S. president.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hopefully Flex' biz model doesn't mirror Tesla's TOO closely. Like, you know, the financial performance of the company.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Burt, it's entirely likely, and reasonable, release 2, let's call it 2.x will span 2.0.10 to 2.8.30. They'll all be part of release 2. WAN may not be ready for the first drop. What are you pinning to Jan 21, 2017, release 2 or WAN?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Elon seems to be able to continue to pull rabbits out of his hat. And Flex shoots stuff into Space too that improves cash flow.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The 7300 is an entry level radio per some of Icom's own sales videos but, it is direct sampling with a 14-bit Vs. the Flex 6xxx's 16-bit ADC. The 7300 is small & portable & except for a power source & antenna, it's self contained. It fills a different space than the current Flex line up. I'll probably be buying one at Dayton to play with along side my 6300 & Maestro. It looks like a fun radio.

On the other hand, to buy a transceiver with the same features as a Flex 6300 combined with a Maestro at $3700, one has to spend around $5000 or more with Elecraft or any of the Japanese manufacturers & you still end up with a hybrid; a superhet followed by a DSP. Hybrids are a kind of hardware trap with firmware upgrade possibilities much more limited than with the architecture of direct conversion radios.

It appears to me that the 7300 is only the first of what will be a long line of direct conversion amateur transceivers to chase Flex in this market. It's exciting times. Maestro due here on Tuesday.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    First name basis now eh? Oh you name dropper you.

I once worked with a guy that was so proud of and would tell everyone that would listen that he actually met (ran into) Dennis Richie at a water bubbler at an at&t facility in NJ. Talk about'basking in reflected glory'.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I stand by this comparison as I think its a somewhat accurate comparison study all the way down to the software upgradeablility, however I do not personally know Elon Musk..but his factory (Tesla) is around the corner from my office in Fremont CA.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Steve I would agree and add that there is not just "a unique benefit"  but more specifically a number of unique benefits that tie together.  Not only does this platform(6000) offer the Direct sampling software architecture  and its upgrade ability but also the client server architecture unique to the 6000 series that enables expansion clients like Maestro that also itself can be built upon software wise, and 3rd party api developed enhancements. these are things the 7300 and Icom are doubtfully equipped to offer and even the mature flex 5000 did not offer(client server).   This advantage also differentiates flex from Anand as well.  Its the entire eco system that sets this generation of flex radio apart.     
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I can see having a 7300 up at the northwoods cabin where my internet connection is probably going to turn out too slow to permit remote operation with the Maestro, but what I'd really like to see is a '6100' with a 10w QRP board built into a Maestro cabinet.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Walt 2.0 on 1/21/17
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    We tend to forget the number of software version and upgrades that our radios have benefited from in the last year.

March 2015 we received v.1.4

Feb 2016 we got v.1.6

In between those, we got 6 versions/revisions for a total of 8 software releases in 1 year plus now 1.7
    Some highlights:
    • LAN remote
    • FM
    • Memories
    • Client optimizations (huge improvement... tons of older PCs can use SmartSDR)
    • Binaural receive
    • Actual transmit audio record and playback
    • Improvements in NR
    • ATU Memories
    • Wideband NB
    • RTTY AFSK mode
    • FDX (Full Duplex - one of my favorite upgrades)
    • DStar / FreeDV
    • SO2R support in CAT
    • Flex control improvements
    • DAX and CAR overhaul
    So, YES, I would like new things... all the time, I would like features not to be found in any other transceiver and I can see how it looks like limited resources were devoted to Maestro instead of software.... but I think it is unfortunate the say that in 1 year we have not seen "anything".

I think there are many improvements that are needed in the GUI.
    But I ask you to try other SDR software packages... and you realize how good SmartSDR really is.
    I have enjoyed some of the new features on PowerSDR but moving from SmartSDR I find even PowerSDR cumbersome. Having the waterfall follow the panadapter is something I take for granted... and it just doesn't happen in other software.

I want the new features, I want FRS to surprise me with new things but I think we forget the amount of things that have changed/improved in the last 12 months.

I compliment the software team for the improvements and look forward to new exciting features and GUI improvements.

• Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    The thing is, buyers expect memories, FM, RTTY, NB, NR, etc. to work right out of the box. When you have the basics in place then there is no need for many updates.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I have also a KX3 and PX3 most of that Salvador mentioned came with the KX3 plus it copies CW and sends PSK, RTTY without having to manipulate outboard programs to make them work. If WAN wasn't coming, if it indeed is coming, I would dispose of the 6300.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    That is the part I don't understand....  If I wanted a K3 I would buy a K3. If I didn't like my 6700 I would sell a 6700.

As a matter of fact, best course of action for you might be to sell the 6300 and do not buy it until it meets your requirements.

I just find all the talk and veiled threats on ownership/selling to be very "childish". The mature thing to do is to act... not talk.

If Flex doesn't deliver it will lose clients. It is very simple, I am pretty sure FRS is very aware of it.

If Yaesu comes up with a radio that does more than the 6xxx series for a similar or better price it will get the business. Heck, you can even deliver an entry level radio like the 7300, which is selling like crazy. Probably the best selling radio from Icom in a long time. And all it offers is a all in one package... which doesn't excel on anything but it sells at a price that is attractive to many buyers.

Remote operation is very feasible with the Elecrafts, Burt. And you can have it today. Might have to spend a bit of money, so waiting for WAN doesn't make sense....

• Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    The 7300 excels in the basics- FM does work, produces full 100W out, and does not have the TX spikes...just the 3 most recent bugs in the Flex software that will require a software update. The 7300 is a radio that just works, plug and play. Flex is a mostly finished product. Drawing software/firmware release frequency comparisons between the two is simply inappropriate. Not trying to make anyone abandon their Flex in favor of Icom. I myself purchased both. But saying that Flex's frequent software updates is a desired feature is simply twisting reality and ignoring the fact that Flex is 2/3 baked.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    But the 7300 will likely remain what it is, a fine entry level radio, as opposed to the Flex which is constantly being improved upon.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I actually expect ethernet, multi rx, rx antenna, multi tx antenna, reference in and out, 4k panadapter, etc... I'm sure a software update will get that on the 7300.....
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I actually expect ethernet, multi rx, rx antenna, multi tx antenna, reference in and out, 4k panadapter, etc... I'm sure a software update will get that on the 7300.....
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I love saturation in the phone section of 20m with RTTY 100 KHz away and 100w spikes when I am TXing at 50w or below... great basic stuff on the 7300... 
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I am sure multiple software updates and feature additions are in store for the 7300..."its the software, ****"!- James Carvell. Guys this is not a zero sum game. In order for the Flex to be the most **** radio ever, all other comers don't have to ****. Maybe they'll do what Elecraft does and offer replacement circuits with roofing filters.
  • SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited May 2016
    Half baked - so true.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Salvador I am not as smart as most here. I want WAN to work without having to do three flips, two somersaults and face Mecca which it will probably do when Flex gets around to it.
    The half baked comment does fit but I knew it going in.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    IQ is available thru USB. You could likely remote it will Windows iot on a raspberry pi. Sal, in the decision to sell is also the decision to take, likely, a 30% or more hit so replacing a radio one is unhappy with is a shades of gray decision, not black and white... At least for some people.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Still looking for the Vhf/UHF/SHF allmode.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    AA0KM...a VHF/UHF/SHF all-mode SDR would be a niche of a niche product.  No way for Flex to make any money.  Too few customers would be willing to pay what it would cost for this equipment.

(Now watch FRS announce one at Dayton)  :-)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Now that is an idea! I hadn't thought of that.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I would buy it.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    We could have a small tower mount for the Maestro with a Stepper or Log Periodic mini beam up about 8 feet!!!

(just kidding!)
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    The Icom 7300 is an entry level radio and the $1500 price tag reflects it. The nearest Flex, the 6300, is $1,000 more. When it comes to designing a radio, engineers must make trade offs. In the case of the 7300, IMHO, the designers have done a fantastic job with the trade offs. To hit the $1500 mark they have decided on a 14-but ADC, a single antenna connector, and a touch screen to replace mechanical buttons and knobs. The Flex designers, on the other hand, have made choices that impact ALL products, including the top of the line 6700. Again, as a reminder, the capabilities that were omitted include memories, FM, RTTY, NB, NR...all basic capabilities. Again, the 7300 is only the beginning. As the replacements of Icom's high end models make the switch to DDC, the price tag will go up and the current trade offs will no longer be needed. Finally, numbers speak volumes. There are 73 eHam reviews for the 7300, compared to 86 for all the Flex models. The 7300 has been on the market for less than two months and clearly captured the minds (and wallets) of hams. I cannot think of a better compliment to the Icom designers and the trade offs they made.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.