Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

H?ow to run Two Series 6000 on the same LAN and setup remote access ports

Martin Boroff
Martin Boroff Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in Networking
OOur Club would like to setup our field day site with a 6600 and 6400 and have operators access via SmartSDR. I can use the usual ports (4993 and 4994) for one of the radios. What should I use for the second radio and are changes to the remote operators required.

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you are not going to run it over smart link then just put them on the same LAN, 
    Each radio user will have to login to the PROPER radio in the SmartSDR Radio chooser, SMARTCAT Radio Chooser, and SMARTDAX Radio Chooser otherwise operator A may have SmartSDR on Radio A and CAT and or DAX on Radio B and visa versa. 

Make sure in the SETUP tab you DO NOT have "Autostart DAX" and "Autostart CAT" checked and start these manually so you make sure you get the correct radio,This get's confusing using data modes if they grab the wrong radio.
    Good luck
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    There is a "--serial=" command-line argument to point DAX/CAT/SSDR to the correct radio. Just put that into a Windows shortcut and start up using the shortcut. No chooser needed.
  • Martin Boroff
    Martin Boroff Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bret

Thank you for the information. I get the startup options for the users. Correct me if I am wrong. I believe I need smart link because users will be remote. I think the answer might be use a different pair of TCP and UDP ports on the second radio.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    When you said same LAN I miss understood 
    If the two radios are on the same LAN a separate pair of ports need to be setup as OUTGOING ports in the Smartlink settings and your Router and I use Two different SmartLink logins one for each radio 
    Each user logs there computer into the SmartLink account of the particular radio they want to use, at least this is how I do it here. 
    DAX still doesn't work for most things over SmartLink though  

This is what I have had to do for mine to work hope this helps you.
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Martin Boroff
    Martin Boroff Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for the reply, Bret. You have given me something to work with. I'm not sure why you have DAX trouble. We have five Flex radios that share the same login. They are in five different homes. SmartSDR users select which radio that they want to use from the select screen. We use DAX for voice or digital apps like WJST-X. Nobody has reported any issues with DAX. Is this setup using smart link or am I confused?
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yea with SmartLink for Voice using the computer PC MIC audio is flawless but the DAX digital stuff has issues, If I run through my VPN and not through SmartLink then all is well.
    By the way the Remote PC MIC for Voice DOESN'T use DAX If DAX is enabled then PC MIC audio is blocked at least on my 6700 and 6600M, a lot of times I don't even start DAX unless I am going to run Digital. 
    I run Remote 99% of the time I operate so this isn't new to me.https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/dax-and-remote-audio-smartsdr-2-0-19   but this must have changed with the resent updates if it works for you.
  • Martin Boroff
    Martin Boroff Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks so much for your help.

I think we operate oppositely. I am 99% digital because I operate in the family room of my YL's house and the radio is remote. Thanks for thew info on DAX. On the 6600 I have to enable DAX and PC Mic and VOX. Sometimes the spacebar does not activate the VOX button so I just click the button. I am running Windows 10 under Parallels on a MacBook. The only idiosyncrasy I find with the Mic is that if the Laptop Mic is not set for default I get not mic to work. Why it gets changed from default I don't know. Just FM.

Take care and be safe.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.