Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Guinea Pig report on Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3116908)

Jay Nation
Jay Nation Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
EEK! Not Again!!!

Another update KB3116908. Microsoft made me cringe with this information "This update replaces the previously released update 3120677". It's a replacement for 1511. It seems to be a "no drama" update instead. It installed, asked to reboot and Booted up glitch free, and SmartSDR seems to have survived.  I wish Microsoft was aware of the difference between Updates and Replacements.

I suspect that If you haven't installed 1511, you wont be offered this update. If I'm wrong, you might get to experience the 1511 Upgrade in the process. Having already installed 1511 I can't test that speculation, so be careful you might have to do the How to do a Complete uninstall of SmartSDR for Windows from your PC Fix, to get things working if that's the case. 

"Don't Panic!! Mostly Harmless!!"
Be sure you know where your towel is!
"Share and Enjoy"

In my case it was just an update that needed a reboot.
So far so good. image

73, Jay - NO5J

Comments

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Possibly, the  KB 3120677 1511 update is no longer being distributed, and this is the Cumulative "Full" replacement for it with a new and different name. 

I can't be sure.image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I think Jay you have coined a new phase for M$ updates:

Either they are:

"No drama updates" - The good kind 

or

Something else we have not named yet.  "Drama Queen" Update?  "Don't panic" update?

LOL
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Some might call those TEOTWAWKI updates as in ...

"It's The End Of The World As We Know It."

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Well I like that one too!  You are on a roll here Jay.  So we have:

"No drama" updates

and

"It's the end of the world as we know it" updates

Works for me!  Now how do we tell which is which when an update comes out?

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Simple! Let someone else, test them.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Instead of "kernel Panic"  perhaps they are "General Panic" updates?
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I rolled my system back to pre-1511 and finally have it stable, even more so than under Win7.  I'll be interested to see if anyone else that hasn't 'upgraded' to 1511 tries this, and what the results are.  As it stands, I'm going to wait for SSDR 1.6 to come out before I change anything, at which time I'll fully delete 1.5.1, and then try updating Windows before I reinstall SSDR.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    >>"Don't Panic!! Mostly Harmless!!"
    Be sure you know where your towel is!
    "Share and Enjoy"<<

BIG, BIG fan of HHGTTG.

I have Win 10 on its own partition and do not use it as my main OS as I really do not like it on so many levels, that to mention them here would get me a slapped wrist for a long and OT post. I only use it for experimentation and playing with as I am a confirmed computing hobbyist. I don't know what the heck I will do when Win 7 comes to the end of its life.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Sadly, It's too late for me, So, Goodbye Cruel World! There's still time for some of you, Please remember, "Women and Children First. No Shoving! or you will be sent to the back of the line.
    One step for a man, several more than that for those at the end of the line. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. You have to play to win.image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    You will likely be running a later version of Windows, Hint: Win8, and Win8.1 worked, sort of. But I bet you can guess where Win10 found a ready supply of bugs that still need fixing. Microsoft, might release a Windows11, they have said they won't though.
    We might be running Doors1 next. Maybe they will call it Gates1, They have hinted/stated that their intention is, that they want this to be the last version of Windows. But they seem to be good at changing their minds. There will be alternatives. 

I don't think anyone needs to be concerned, SmartSDR or it's successor will run on any OS it's written to run on. Something will still be capable of ethernet.  If I live that long, I'll probably just use what everyone else is using.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Let me correct the basic premise of this thread: KB3116908 IS NOT a replacement for 1511. It's just an update for 1511. There have already been several. This one is "cumulative".... Nothing to see here, folks. Move along, please. Peter K1PGV
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Peter 
    Yes it's just a normal update. I got the quoted "This update replaces the previously released update 3120677" from the Microsoft Knowledege Base article found here ...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3116908

Their description, not mine. 

I think I said as much.image

It might have just been a boiler plate, "this is an update" description.

But it knocked my blood pressure up a little, regardless.

Your right Peter, there have been several updates since the upgrade. this was just the the most recent, the others installed just fine. This was just the first time since the the 1511 upgrade, that I had the chance to read the notes before Windows installed them.

So yeah! Nothing to see here folks, move along!

73, Jay - NO5J
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I  took the bait and installed today w/o any problems seen (so far).  Went very smoothly, as simple reboot and it was done.  The MS website has a list of files replaced, which were many...

Thanks for pointing this out Jay as I missed the update notification.

"Moving along now, going about my business...."

k3Tim

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    You mean: " Microsoft Windows 10 (KB3116908)" ;-)
    Another reason for me to stay with 7, as long as possible...
    73, Alex - DH2ID

• Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

I will only upgrade to 10 + when Flex tells us too, other wise this "FLEX" computer is staying as is.  It runs my 5000A and the 6500 at the same time, just fine. Other none related computers in the house will get the upgrade first.  Its to bad I couldn't go from XP to 10, have lots of those boxes around doing nothing now.

k.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Widows pushed an update on my machine yesterday.   It, and the one right before it broke my CAT & DAX.  The first one part way, but I didn't need those functions at the time so I muddled along.  last night's finished it off.

Before I could get it running again, I not only had to totally uninstall SSDR and all of its components, but I had to go into -- ControlPanel>Hardware and Sound>device manager -- and have it show me all of the COM ports, including hidden ones (using View>Show Hidden Devices), and delete all of the hidden COM ports that had been left over from my previous installment of SSDR.  (They were not removed, even after a total uninstall of SSDR and FlexVSP.  It meant manually clicking and removing about 10 pairs of COM ports.  

Then I had to do the same thing with all of the Audio Inputs and Outputs, removing all of the hidden DAX Channels.  There were two complete sets of DAX devices.  Probably because I had previously done an Uninstall/Re-install of SSDR, trying to get it to work again after the Win10 Update.  That meant there were  2 sets of 8 DAX Channels, Each with 4 "cable ends" for each channel.  (Plus the IQ Channels)
    I had to remove each one of these manually.  (Do the math... that meant 64 DAX "cable ends"  plus 8 IQ "cable ends.")  Each one took 3-4 mouse clicks to delete.

Then I did two reboots just to be safe (I have occasionally had computers "reboot" only to do only half the job, leaving some things that were not reset until after a second reboot.)

After checking all of the paths under Device Manager to make sure that the COM Ports and DAX devices were all gone, I finally reinstalled SSDR.  After installation I needed to reconfigure all of my Dedicated, PTT, & Shared Virtual COM Ports using SmartCAT.  And I needed to take the time to set the properties of all four ends of the first four DAX Channels (setting the sampling rate to 48,000 & 16 Bit Stereo)  and Disabled the last 4 (since I have a 6500 and don't use channels 5-8)

After all of that, I now have everything working smoothly again.

It took a while to do this, probably 90-120 minutes, including diagnostic & griping time , but it seems to be "Clean" now.

I hope this helps others who may have this problem.  The "Phantom" or "Leftover" COM Ports and DAX Audio Channels can really mess you up.

I love having leftovers after Thanksgiving.  But not on my computer!

Ken - NM9P
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Anyone using Windows 10 BEFORE 2017 is subject to continual self inflicted wounds. MS usually needs a couple of years for a product to be out in the wild before they can find and fix all the unknown issues. I still see absolutely no compelling reason or benefit to downgrade a perfectly working W7 installation to W10 before MS finds and fixes all the known and unknown bugs.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ken 
    Your experience, is why I brought this up in the first place.
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I wouldn't have done it initially, but I was having major problems with my Win 8.1 installation and decided that Win 10 couldn't be any worse, even as an "Insider Preview."  Now that I have it up and running (most of the time) I like it better than 8.1.  

But these occasional blips do add to the frustration of being on the "cutting edge.!"

Now that I know what I am up against, it will take less time to fix it the next time they break it....Kind of like resetting all of my 6500 parameters over and over before FRS implemented Persistence!  It just became part of the routine and I got so that I could do it pretty fast.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

Howard
    Do you feel Microsoft is done updating the bugs in Windows7?
    Have they stopped pushing out updates for that version entirely?
    I'm not arguing, I think your approach is valid, new/shiny, often has a dark side.
    Sometimes I even miss knobs.image
    But, I get over it!
    73, Jay - NO5J 
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Howard. Some may want to upgrade before 2017 to get it free. Here is a note from the MS web page. a free, full version of Windows 10 -- not a trial or a lite version -- if you complete your upgrade before July 29, 2016. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    dsJay As you know software is never done. But having used MS Windows in commercial environments I found that we had considerably less problems after the release of Service Pack one hence much less cost and disrupt
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    What concerns me is this. Did the 1511 upgrade fit the definition of a service pack?
    Microsoft has been a little vague about Win10, will it have service packs or only cumulative updates?
    The Service Packs were really just rollups of all the accumulated updates, in the previous windows versions. How will we be certain they have released a Service Pack, If Microsoft won't call it a Service Pack? 

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Jay, As you remarked, here is a note about the elimination of 'service pack' terminology. No Service Packs For Windows 10 Windows 10 is different as there will be no service packs. Instead, Microsoft plans to issue updates as and when they are ready, rather than batching them together in one huge update. The primary reason for this is that Windows Updates will be automatically downloaded for most users without choice as to which updates they want installed. This applies to Windows 10 Home editions, whereas Pro editions and higher allow more flexibility. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Al
    Ah! so it's me and my inferior Home Edition. Now I kinda get it.
    Sorry Microsoft, NoSale!, yet.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Nothing is truly free. You pay for this Free bug filled W10 by wasting time fixing things it broke. My time is more valuable to me than the Cost of paying for a future stagble version.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    So much for FREE
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Absolutely on the point, Howard! I will also be waiting for a stable "pro"
    version of Win10, if I ever upgrade from 7...
    I have a notebook with 2 HDD caddies and try out 10 on that, but until now
    I'm not impressed.
    73, Alex DH2ID
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Geez ... I am living the good life, laying on this white sandy beach, drinking margaritas, and using the wonderful latest release of Windows 10 and SSDR in the here and now. No need to wait for the second coming to start enjoying the benefits of Windows 10. I uninstalled SSDR and the DAX drivers, found the download in my 'downloads' folder, reinstalled SSDR and restarted the computer. I remember the days when an update for my Borland C-compiler consisted of 21 floppy disks, so I find this Windows update rather painless. Indeed, less than 5 minutes and plenty of time to crush more ice!

W7NGA  dan
    San Juan Island, Wa.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Anyone remember fighting the floppy read errors when installing FreeBSD back in the days when CD writers were something that only got installed in PCs I couldn't afford. what was it 30 floppies, I probably still have a set stashed somewhere for emergencies. They probably haven't aged any better than I have. My ZipDrive floppies sure didn't. I'm also collecting failed Thumb drives. Was it the disk, or the OS, I'll probably never decide.

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.