Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Great to see DAX coming

Chris DL5NAM
Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in DAX

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Day off tomorrow....?....? Perhaps??? Oh well. If not, I still have my 6500 to play with!
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Does the "digital" in DAX imply that DAX will only work in digital modes? I was wondering if it could potentially be used in SSB/AM to connect an audio processing program's output directly as the tx audio source. Thanks & 73, Barry N1EU
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    It's a virtual distribution of the 8 Audio In- and Output of the 8 slices receivers. Remember: the 6700 will have in future 8 separate receiver. Now you can manage 8x audio Input and 8x audio output channels. So you can run 8 different software tools to do something with the audio. Only one of the choices is Digital Modes. It's up to you want you do with each audio channel. This work (DAX) will done digital in your PC. Hope i am right 73 Chris DL5NAM
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Will the audio be "streamed" over the local network so that we can work digital modes from a remote computer on our local network? If not, when is that capability planned? Ed, K0KC
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited September 2017
    Yes, Ed, you can stream to a local PC on the LAN. In fact, you can run DAX on multiple PCs and send streams out of the radio to each PC. The TX button you see in the DAX video selects which PC will be the transmit source for that DAX channel. When you go to transmit, the radio determines which slice is selected for TX, just as it does today, then if it is DAX the radio determines which PC running DAX will send the TX audio. So the implementation makes the TX button exclusive within a DAX channel. For example, if you select DAX TX on your first PC for DAX channel 1, then go to your second PC and select tX for DAX channel 1, the TX will uncheck on the first PC.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for providing the UTube instructional video...interesting. Looking forward to streaming to other PC's on the LAN here. Merry Christmas Larry K1UO
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    .... run DAX on multiple PCs? Is DAX a standalone tool or a part of SmartSDR?
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Thanks, Steve! Pretty cool...that will be one of the first things that I try when the beta software is available.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    It is installed with SmartSDR but it is a standalone client application, like Smart CAT.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited February 2019
    Very good video, I've saved it so I can use it while setting up. I suspect I will be referring to it VERY often. This is VERY new to me so sorry for my ignorance on SDR & DAX. I'm pretty sure I know the answers to the next two questions but... 1. Can DAX be used with my Flex5K? and 2. As I use the same computer for Flex5K and 6K. (Neil built-very hot computer) I'm sure that both VAC and DAX can co-exist on the same computer? While I don't expect to be using both at the exact same time, I'm sure I will be jumping back and forth while the 6K still is in the Roadmap development period. as always, pse & tu de W9OL
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I use WSJT-X for JT65 and JT9 that requires "split" mode. I have implemented this in the past on my 6700 (with the SignalLink) by opening two slices (and two panadapters). I use Slice A for receive and Slice B for transmit. Am I correct in assuming with DAX, I will have to open two channels, one for slice A and the second for slice B? Thanks! Ed, K0KC
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    WOW! A couple of questions... 1) The latter part of the video talks about setting the sample rate to 48 kHz, although DAX uses 24 kHz. Is there anything to be gained by setting to 24 kHz? I can't imagine that our low-rate digital modes need the full range. 2) (For K0KC) I'm also using WSJT-X, but without split. The +2 kHz button toggles me between JT65 and JT9 "subbands" effectively, and the TX audio settings in the Flex (6500 here) allow the full range of tones. Am I missing a pro tip? 3) I want to call in from work to hover over the Flex site for the DAX beta release. Can someone write me a note? 73 & Happy New Year, Flexers... Geo
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm guessing yes to both, but am not positive. If DAX sets up its own "audio cables" it seems any app should be able to use them. Since it is not explicitly part of SSDR, I think it will work like CAT.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Maybe this will work... To whom it may concern: I examined George J Molnar and have confined him to his home due to Acute RF Deficiency Syndrome (ARDS). I am recommending that he undergo uninterrupted RF replenishment therapy for a minimum of three days at which time he will need to be re-evaluated. Sincerely, Doctor C. Mor Flex
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    George, I certainly would not call myself a "pro", but I can tell you if you set-up your transceiver for "split", you can see JT65 and JT9 signals simultaneously and move between the modes with a simple double-click of the mouse. Check the documentation that Joe Taylor provided and if you need additional "hand-holding", contact me directly via email. Ed, K0KC
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    ROTFLMAO! Thanks!!!
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Another quickie question... Will the DAX stream levels change with the individual slice audio level (speaker icon) and AGC settings? Or is the pickup point for the stream before those controls? I usually run digital with the AGC off, but that makes for some uncomfortable listening if I put it on the speaker. Guess I'll know soon enough - just daydreaming in the office!
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited March 2015
    I am curious as to whether I will have to listen to the psk31 while it is decoding while I am simultaneously checking the SSB traffic on another slice. I will know the answer tonight.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Ed. I see what you're doing there. Interesting idea.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi George ...The video seems to indicate the DAX stream level adjusted on the DAX audio control panel were independent of the slice controls? Soon....
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Steve one of my concerns is I want to pass audio transmit and recieve via a blue tooth head set . Can i do this using my pc the radio is connected to? if so is there some instuctions available. the video above was great and very simple.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I love the comment Robert.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You can mute the audio without affecting the DAX stream. They are totally independent.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The answer to #1 is that there is not a selection for 24KHz and there is nothing to be gained. It is easy to divide 48KHz by 2 since it is a binary number.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    We're getting close. Some last minute testing making a few PSK and RTTY QSOs....
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited March 2015
    wow, hot off the press...
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Just unhooked the Signalink!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Finger on Download button, awaiting the command!
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    It works! If the panadapter is to be believed (and of course it is!), digital mode transmission is notably cleaner. Levels to tweak and such, but so far - so good. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.