Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Great opportunity to leap ahead!

ctate243
ctate243 Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in New Ideas
Elecrafts big Dayton reveal was an updated version of a K3.  Still no Ethernet, or streaming pan display solution. however they have added USB support.  

At this point Flex Signature is in a solid position to take a commanding lead in remote capability for high performance radio.  GL to the team at Dayton and looking forward to more enhancements and refinements in the high performance features.

Comments

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thank you,
    Please keep us posted about Dayton great and greatest developments. For those of us that are not able to make there.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Agreed, thanks for posting this and if practicable, further updates. 

The Elecraft folks updated their website with the info about said radio.  It's a nice box I must say (no worries -not jumping ship).

Enjoy Dayton and hope Wx is decent.

_..--
     k3Tim
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Chris, so how does RHR work exclusively with K-3's

What is Kenwood doing, aside from the 590SG?
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

All.. Im not in Dayton.. but monitoring new product releases and website press releases as they show things in Dayton..    (wish I was there). 

I can say to you Walt that RHR has tapped into big contesting stations, many of which were already equipped with the K3 platform.  so an easy infrastructure target.    More expensive to replace transceivers than to add remote rigs :-). 

That's not to say that the market is not rich for better technology when it presents itself however.. but it will take time.  IMHO.

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I have a K3 with the P3. As a daily rig as well as a contest rig it is very good. Would I sell my present K3 to get a K3S, no but it will be interesting to see how many do once Dayton is over. The K3 can either be built with everything or the bare essentials. I would have liked to see the new K3 with a built in P3,plus a sub receiver built in. Not to say you can't have a sub receiver added, but not as a $650 option. The enhancement to the P3 or P3X looks really nice.

Still looking to add a 6000 series as a second radio. Just not sure which model I want to purchase.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Mark I hear you. I am a contester and DXer.  I have had a K3 and been operating them for 8 years and also own a complete KX line. I have a number of contest titles and records, all achieved with my K line.  I have been remoting using RRC and K3's at my K6LRG hilltop station for years now and am implementing another setup at N6RO currently. the K3 speak for themselves, top notch.   But the remote tech is starting to fall behind a bit.  an inability to get a pan display is disappointing and all the extra setup and equipment is a challenge. 

My flex 6500 on the other hand can stand its own next to the K3 from a receive perspective but is a work in progress and getting regular updates.  Gerald and the Flex team are working it through..  but the bottom line is the the new flex remote capability is on the cusp of a huge step forward.  It already works in a lot of respects and continues to keep me engaged with every update.  The team seems very interested in taking feedback from the contesting and DX community.

As a contester you will need the filters in the 6500/6700 to get the performance you will need.  If you are interested in diversity or listening on 2 separate antenna feeds that narrows you down to the 6700 currently.   In either case.. I sense a great future ahead for these rigs.  Just a few more little pieces need to fall into place. 

~C.

N6WM

• K4SC
    K4SC Member
    edited May 2015
    I would say you will save yourself some money if you buy the 6500 if you are trying to decide between it and the 6300.  I bought the 6300 first then the 6500.  Lost about $400 doing it that way and seen others lose even more.  Also had a K3 and currently have a KX3, both fine radios but in a different class IMHO.
  • Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I am leaning towards the 6500, but there are some things that need to get done with the house. And that comes first, before a new play toy. But it will be this year!
  • Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Chris,
    I agree with all that you have said. From just being on the community here, I denote that the software is the biggest issue when it comes to frustration from Flexradio owners. Not to say that there are not hardware issues.

One thing about the K3 versus the Flexradio is that the K3's enhancements are primarily hardware oriented and uses firmware enhancements to make them better. Where it seems that the Flexradio enhancements are done via the software and not hardware. Am I correct in that assumption?

When I do purchase one, it will most likely be the 6500. The 6700 would be nice, but I don't need all those type of enhancements that it has to offer.

I am slowly but surely getting ready for adding an additional radio. I have a DX Doubler and a ABSS Switch. Getting the cabling done by a professional was a nightmare, because I do not make cables well or handle a soldering iron to good. Plus my patience seems to wear thin as I get older, HI HI.

I anxiously await for the Youtube videos about the Maestro working along with the Flex.

Thanks for your comments!
    Mark KB3Z
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mark, since the Flex is a software defined radio, the software is the most talked about. I don't see it as a frustration, it pretty well works as intended. And as software goes as you may know there is always work to be done. The problems are mostly pilot mistakes when things are not followed correctly. But this community is a place to share ideas and seek help when we are stuck. I suppose anyone visiting the community would come away with the idea that there are nothing but head aches, but most are very happy owners. It is nice seeing you posting here Mark.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.