Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Gradual Loss of RX Signal

Andy F5VAI
Andy F5VAI Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Flex 6300  SN: 1015-4175-6300-2622  SmartSDR V2.0.19

My rx signal slowly disappears and the only way I have found to get it back to normal is to trip the tx.  It is almost as if it is a sticking relay.  It is also intermittent and variable in loss.  It can happen quite often, or go for some time without causing a problem.  It does it on all antennas. The panadaptor also varies and will disappear below the -140 line when it is very bad.      

I have done a factory reset, uninstalled SmartSDR etc and reinstalled.

Any ideas? 

73 Andy F5VAI  (G3HCU)     

Comments

• NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Is this on all bands, or just low bands? eg, 160/80?
  • Andy F5VAI
    Andy F5VAI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    On all bands, I am on 20m at the present time and it is bad 
  • Andy F5VAI
    Andy F5VAI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I think I have found a problem with the ATU.  With the ATU in circuit the SWR is very high and yet my real SWR is about 1:5.  I guess the best idea is to remove the ATU and see whether that cures the problem.   
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I have the same issue. The only difference being that it only happens when I have the attenuate/preamp switched on. It drops down to -145 to -150 and when I hit TX, it comes back up to -130 to-135. Within a few minutes, it drops again.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    No issues with SWR on mine and it still does. It still could be a relay on the ATU though.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I noticed it doesn't appear to happen on 6 meters. It does happen on 10 to 160 to varying degrees, and on both antenna inputs, with or without the ATU enabled. Never happens with attenuation / preamp turned off.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I tried this on three different antennas, all connected directly to the radio, and got the same results. This rules out any connections or issues with the amp, tuner, meter, and coax jumpers.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Call and open trouble ticket. I believe that the TR switch is solid state and could be failing. Pat
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I had the same issue with my 6300...was told that I was nuts. It is gone now.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Did you switch to a different model?
  • Andy F5VAI
    Andy F5VAI Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I have found the problem and it is not the Flex!  My rig etc is remoted in my garage, so today I stripped everything down and isolated items one by one.  It turns out the fault was most bizarre!  It was a right-angle PL259 adaptor!  In all my 52 years of AR I have never come across this problem.  I have now removed all right-hand PL259 adaptors as you can imagine. 

Why it should show up as a gradual loss is in the RX path, and only when using the ATU seems to be very strange.  Anyway I am pleased to know it is not the Flex and it is a salutary lesson!     
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Interesting. I did have that exact same problem with a 90 recently on another rig setup, but none on the Flex.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Andy, good work. I knew this was not a problem with your radio, but I had no answers.
  • Greg, N6GD
    Greg, N6GD Member
    edited April 2018
    Andy, has your TR problem come back?  I ask because I am having the same problem with my 6500.  Received signals will disappear after a transmission (usually in DIGU mode) and will only be restored by switching to transmit a short burst of CW in a different slice.

• Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I bought a lot of new, Communist China, Rt angle PL259's and 1/2 of them were bad or intermit. A friend of mine had an old mil spec one from 20 years ago and it had turned bad. Very strange considering no moving parts on the center core.
  • Essgkay
    Essgkay Member
    I had this same problem with a new Flex 6400, and when I read Andy's post above, I checked out both of my right angle connectors in the coax path. Sure enough, one of them had a cracked dielectric and a singe mark, possibly from a lightning strike I had in 2017 which damaged a previous radio. I removed both of the right angle connectors from the coax path and that solved the problem. The 6400 is working perfectly now. I also had a problem of intermittent transmit. It would stop transmitting for a brief second on FT8 and immediately resume again. This problem has also seemed to have been solved. I've also been a ham like Andy for 52 years and have never seen these issues before. Thanks, Andy! Good detective work!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.