Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Graceful Maestro Shutdown With Marginal Bandwidth

Options
Chip Swett
Chip Swett Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in New Ideas
I have marginal bandwidth at my remote base site in Maine.  Sometimes I can operate happily for hours, and sometimes Maestro shuts down when the bandwidth pipe runs dry.  On bad bandwidth days, I may have to restart Maestro every 10 minutes.  Under these circumstances, the restart process is a pain.  It is necessary to push 8 buttons to get back on the air and takes a while (at least the way I do it).   To avoid a total restart, I go to network settings and disconnect the radio and then reconnect which involves reselecting the local network choices, etc.  I would like to see the radio automatically reconnect when bandwidth is available.  I realize that that may not be possible, but Maestro should at least remember the local network settings, software versions etc to shorten the restart process.  Thanks.

Comments

• Chip Swett
    Chip Swett Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    As often happens, you find your own answer after you have posted a question.  I just stumbled on the "Select Radio" button which saves several steps.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    My Meastro is usually on Wi-Fi. I have a 100M/s connection (more like 32Mb/s download and 10Mb/s upload) but I lost connection last night and saw some very bad noise (about 10 sec duration, similar to noise mentioned recently in the community ) while trying to work 9LY1JM on 160m. I turned off the Maestro and back on. Yeah it takes too long (watched ****) but managed to work him. There are so many devices on 2.4GHz I find my laptop and Maestro play best if I curve their position to each other on the table. But I need to move to 5GHz.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    As a bit of incentive, Steven, to start using 5G, let me recount my experience. I recently decided to do the dslreports.com speed test on both my 2.4G and 5G WiFi networks. The 2.4G network gave me a bufferbloat value of "D". I then repeated the test after switching the WiFi to my 5G network (on the same wired network), and got a bufferbloat value of "A+". What that indicates is that there is much less delay variability on 5G, and I sure notice it when running my iPad or MacBook Air to my 6600 in the house and the deck (I don't usually use remote out of the house/yard). My audio and waterfall/spectrum stutters like crazy on 2.4G, and is smooth on 5G. Doing a wireless survey tells me why - 2.4G is very crowded and congested so it has to share a lot. Of course you may have a better experience with 2.4G in a quieter environment, but you probably have your own devices competing with the Flex data on 2.4G, too :-(

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.