Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

GPS Stopped Working

I have a Flex 6700 with the optional GPS.
It has always worked very well, and have used it to also discipline my transverters or other sat radio. 
Today it stopped working.  The first time I noticed it was after I had re-installed Windows and a new install of Smart SDR.
I have a solid Yellow Light on the radio, and blinking Yellow in SmartSDR.  
The radio setup tab "GPS" is showing "GPS is active, and the status as "warming up" … but it stays that way.

Has anyone seen this before?  I am wondering if I have a problem with the internal GPS unit, or the antenna.

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    When you did the new install of SSDR, did you do a factory reset? I is a good idea to. And check the antenna?
  • Mike Presnell
    Mike Presnell Member
    edited June 2020
    Bill.   No, I did not do a factory reset.  Not a bad idea... wish I had thought to do so.   Regarding the antenna, I am using an external marine antenna mounted on my backyard deck.  All connections look good.  Not sure what "tests" I can do on it however. ??
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Ok do your reset,,save your profiles in case. Sometimes the antenna connection gets damaged because it is so small, thats why I mentioned it.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I had the same problem, I bought an identical replacement antenna from Mouser and the problem was fixed. the connector on the supplied antenna is crimped, not soldered and it can go open, try unscrewing the antenna and reconnecting it. Nothing wrong with the supplied antenna until it becomes a problem. Also, the only way I've found to "reboot" the GPS board is to remove power and do a cold boot of the radio, sometimes that fixes it. otherwise it might be waiting for a power cycle.

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Mike Presnell
    Mike Presnell Member
    edited July 2019
    Jay, thanks for the comment.  I am "not"  using the supplied antenna.  I am using an external marine "boat" GPS antenna that is mounted on my backyard deck.  I use LMR400 to connect it, and the coax is about 25' long.  This has worked well for me until today.
    I just don't understand the Flex status messages, and there is no information in the provided Flex GPS manual.    So I am trying to ascertain whether or not I have a problem with my GPS unit.  

My GPS tab says "GPS is Active"  and the Status is warming up.. but that never changes.    If I click on "Uninstall"  and then "Install"   it will not show that there is a GPS attached.   

I did the "reset" as BIl recommended but unfortunately, no change in status.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Open a ticket
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Go into the settings menu and open the GPS tab. Delete or uninstall can,t remember which. After that reinstall GPS. I think that would do it. It will of course begins the sat acquisition and start up. Had it happen to me a while back, and that fixed it up. If it does not work, then open the ticket. Sorry missed your second paragraph, guess you already tried it.. if you have a meter check and see if the bias voltage to the antenna is present. I think it should be about 18 volts. Center pin to ground.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Mike

You can get the warming up, indication for a long time. At least 45 minutes before I'd start worrying about it. Does it see any visible sats? That could be indicating an antenna problem or a bad antenna connection, if it doesn't. You had it working in the past.so you should know that. My point was about trying to get a better connection from the SMA connector Mine occasionally looses it, but a reconnect of the SMA connector and a cold reboot and it has always started working again, knock on wood. Sorry, but help desk ticket time, otherwise.

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Years back someone else had an issue like this and they fixed it by unplugging the GPSDO and reinstalling it. Some how a bad connection had occurred. Good luck with it.
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited July 2019
    I'v had this problem a few times in the past and just the once this year on my 6700, I did spend a lot of time looking for a solution but in the end just disconnected the antenna at the SMA connector on the rig, leave it off for a few minutes reconnect and away we go again.
  • K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I had the same experience as Rob. My 6700 GPSDO has had the "yellow led" problem twice now. Each time removing and reconnecting the GPS antenna connector followed by a complete power down and reboot did the trick. Using the Flex-supplied antenna. Hope you have similar luck.

73, Tom
    K1FR

• Mike Presnell
    Mike Presnell Member
    edited July 2019
    IT WORKS!

This Flex Community message board is great.

Special thanks to:

Bill, VA3TWB
    Jay, NO5J
    Pat, N6PAT
    Pat, WH6HI
    John, AI4FR
    Rob, G6EIH
    and Tom, K1FR

You guys were all correct...  that darned connector is problematic.  I replaced the coax segment inside my shack (which included a new connector).      Now am tracking 11 Sats!

Thanks again Flex gang!  

r/Mike
    WB0O
  • ToTracking
    ToTracking Member
    edited December 2019
    If you have concerns about where your Vehicles are going this app is for you. ToTracking System helps you to track your vehicle in real time from your mobile. So you can always monitor your vehicle movement like vehicle position, vehicle state (Start/Stop/Move), Velocity.

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Troll alert!!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.