GPS Antennas

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I am trying to find external weather proof GPS antenna for my flex 6500 to connect to the gps antenna on the 6500 with some gain any suggestions
Photo of Jay Woods

Jay Woods

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Photo of Matt NQ6N

Matt NQ6N

• 109 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
For general GPS tinkering I've had good results with this unit, and the price has been very good on Amazon, but it appears to be sold out:  PCTEL / Maxrad - GPS-TMG-50N
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 536 Posts
  • 132 Reply Likes
Tim, will using an external 10mhz reference work with 2 meters on the 6700?  I am a little off frequency but I thought I read that the 10mhz port would only work on 160-6 meters.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
The external clock source drives the radio's master clock, so it is band independent in that regard.
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 536 Posts
  • 132 Reply Likes
Tim, I know when using the external 10Mhz reference with the 5000a, there was an option to turn it on/off in one of the menus.  Is there anything I need to do to turn on this functionality on SSDR?  I see the GPS tab on the setup menu but it looks like that pertains to the internal GPS option.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Yes, it has to be connected and providing a 10 MHz sine wave signal when the radio is powered on.  That is when the radio looks for a valid click source and it will search for an external source before looking for an internal source (OCXO, TCXO or GPSDO)
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 536 Posts
  • 132 Reply Likes
Thanks Tim.  I will give it a try this weekend.
Photo of David-N5PSM

David-N5PSM

• 171 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
I use this one with great results on my 6700.
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LXRQY9A)
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 215 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Have used one of these for three years on a 6700 with no trouble:  https://fairradio.com/product/gps-ant/

If you use it outdoors make sure your lightning protectors pass DC.
Photo of Wayne VK4ACN

Wayne VK4ACN

• 157 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I have the Flex gps unit, in a piece of pvc pipe for weatherproof, outside the window fixed to an awning.  What lightning arrestor would I need to use for GPS freqs?
Last week in a storm, 2 lightning strikes close, took out the cable modem, its powerpack, and 1 fibre media converter, that was connected to it.  Any ideas on a gps arrestor?
Wayne
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 215 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Anything with a 3GHZ passband and DC pass will work.  If it's receive-only, power rating doesn't matter.  I use Alpha-Delta but lots of good choices.
Photo of Wayne VK4ACN

Wayne VK4ACN

• 157 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Thanks , Ill check them out, I got polyphasers on my hf antennas, was thinking about changing to array solutions or morgans
(Edited)
Photo of Greg Zenger [N2GZ]

Greg Zenger [N2GZ]

• 36 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I have been successfully using a surplus HP/Symmetricom 58532A GPS L1 Antenna for several years now.  they are available on eBay and frequently seen at hamfests. 
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 215 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Walmart have then for less than 50 dollars. They are meant to be use in a boats.
I bought one and it has been working well in Northeastern Florida for the last two hurricane seasons and lighting.