Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

got a report of an intermittent clicking sound on my JT signal

Bill-W9OL
Bill-W9OL Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Been spending a lot of time doing Jt65 and jt9 on all bands. (need something to chase)
Today I received an email from a ham reporting that he heard an intermittent 'clicking' sound on my JT signal (not sure if I was running JT65 or JT9 when he heard the clicking).
Obviously without any sound on transmit (no sidetone or audio) with version V1.3, there is no way for me to hear it. Can't even make a guess where it's coming from.
So, if any of you hear me, I'd appreciate a email or better, a recording.
Apparently it's not so bad as to rate any comments from the stations I'm working.
But we (me and Flex) don't want to be putting out 'clicks'.
If you get a recording, bill@w9ol.com.
If you just hear it, same addy. LOL
I'm mostly working 80-40 and 12-10 JT9 or 65.

And if you hear me, and DON'T hear any clicks, that's important also.
pse & tu
de w9ol

Comments

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

if you on tonight 40m jt9 or JT65  I will look for you

Jim

WU5E

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited December 2018
    great 40 is my next goal, still need a couple for JT DXCC on 40. LOL
    I'll jump back and forth between JT65 and JT9
    this the first rig that I can't monitor my own transmitted signal without a 2nd receiver...
    so this came as a surprise this afternoon.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I double checked the email. The reporter clearly said he heard the 'clicking' while I was transmitting JT9
    So I'm up at the JT9 marker
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Im there listening right now. Mike N9DFD
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    There is someone right on 2500. No decodes though. One at 3050 is 15 seconds early other two decode fine at 25 and 2700
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Is it the morse code at the end of the transmission???
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I've been sitting on 14073 all day today running 1.3.8 and my DAX degrades also.  It starts stuttering and the only way to fix it is to click on the DAX channel number in the DAX control panel to toggle it on and off.   I can see the waterfall looks good in SSDR, yet horizontal chopped lines in FLDIGI.  After toggling it, the audio is restored.  I can confirm the audio is choppy by enabling the "Listen" option under the recording devices for the DAX Audio RX 1 device.
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2017
    Check out one of these places. Maybe you can catch yourself on a borrowed rig.

http://websdr.org/

http://www.globaltuners.com/

I suggest using Chrome and HTML5 at WebSdr.

Another option: I've copied myself with my son's handheld tribander when troubleshooting Tx. Maybe you have a friend who owns one.

Also, can't you plug in a speaker and enable the monitor Tx option on the radio? Forgive my ignorance, I've never tried it.

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I do NOT have the cw id enabled, never did.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I got the same report, and was able to listen on a second rig. Sure enough, pops and clicks that seem real enought, but no clear idea where they're coming from. Similar in nature to the clicks one gets while increasing power in the "tune" mode. Does not seem to be RF related. Flex 6500, Mac Pro with Parallels. SSDR 1.3.8, WSJT-x 1.3 rc3
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    if you have Display on TX enabled you may be able to SEE the Clicks if they are there?
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    That is why I asked a short while back here if one can rely on what one sees for the TX signal in the waterfall.#

13 characters is not enough to give a good sig report. Snagged Tazmania for > 10,700 miles with 30W last night.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I don't understand
    Where is this option to 'Display on TX'???
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Chris - we are aware of this issue as it has to do with DAX buffer corruption.  We are working on a solution, but the issue isn't trivial.  As you have discovered, the mitigating action is to "reset" (re-init) the DAX channel which recreates a new send and receive buffer.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    In SSDR settings/transmit and then at the bottom. It says "Show TX in Waterfall"

Jon...kf2e
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Ok, I misunderstood
    I most surely do have Show TX---- enabled.

Thank you but I see NOTHING abnormal or different from my signal than any other on the band.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Hi Guys ,i wanna to say that i reported multiple times previously abt. this issues from the time than DAX appeared the first time. In my case the issues was in general related when SSDR/DAX installed on the Virtual Machine on MAC OS, Vmware or Parallels it make no sense(please look into remarks P.S. below), but no final solution i have found yet (multiple tests and installations only individual solve in every  individual case). In case installations on the native Win machine - i never seen such impact, BTW !!! to be clear i wanna to say what the same issue but with extremely small effect exist also (just collect statistics a long time) on Win machine and users just not bring attention on this 

P.S. i have tested it not individually but together with Paul RN3A, 
    my MAC is MAC 27,  i7 2,93Ghz, 16Gb RAM  from 2010 - issue in general always visible in case usage Parallels and just in case some DIGI siftware in case usage on the VMware Fusion
    Paul MAC - iMac 27, i7 2,93Ghz, 16Gb RAM from 2012 - HE REPORTED WHAT HAVE NO ISSUES AT ALL, THAT I SEE ON MY MAC

IMPORTANT  - DIFFERENTS BETWEEN OUR MACHINES IS - VIDEO CARDS

IMAC 2010 - ATI VIDEO
    iMAC 2012 - NVIDIA

Tim i guess we need to collect more statistics right now due to the issue may be very important and can be related with realization of the video output  in SSDR (IMHO)
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Did some more poking around. In just the "tune" mode, if I rock the FlexControl knob just a touch to change frequency, I'll often hear a pop - just like I do with an "FSK-like" signal on WSJT-X or FLDigi. That said, though, I still get pops with WSJT-X in its built-in tune mode, where no FSK is going on (AFAIK). It's not RF-related, I'm sure. No difference on dummy load or with any power level. Pops are visible in the TX panadapter if the averaging isn't set too long. By the way, Nvidia graphics with 6Gb video RAM. 
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Sounds interesting, unfortunately I can't try it right now, waiting for my F6700 from PEN

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.