Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Got 6300... Now I'm lost! :-)

Mark_WS7M
Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Just as I was about to press send on my post about the stealth jpole UPS delivered my 6300.

I took a while to setup power connectors, install software, redo keyer and stuff and finally got it up and running.

The SmartSDR software is quite different from the PowerSDR with the 1500... I'm lost!  I have to poke around to find things.   But I did manage to get DAX working, got HRD connected to it as well as digital master.

Just did a PSK conversation with a guy in CA.  So things seem to be alive.

A couple questions for the masters:

1) I have Bose speakers setup on my computer for music.  I'd like to pipe SmartSDR output via the computer sound system into them.  With the 1500 I used VAC and repeater and it seemed to work ok.  Is there an easier way?  Dax seems to setup LOTS of lines.  Can I something up so I have radio audio coming through?  I'd rather not use a small cable and route that way if possible.

2) The PowerSDR software had a mode where you could right click and your cursor became crosshairs that could be us to quickly move to a signal.  This doesn't seem to work in SmartSDR.  What is the equivalent?   It seems like to get to a signal I have to drag the yellow line to it.

3) Ok this is probably just because I'm new to this stuff... But what is a slice and why would I want two of them?

4) The spectrum display... The 1500 power SDR had an option to fill it... I don't see the same thing on SmartSDR.  Not critical, just curious.  For my eyes the filling makes it very easy to see what is going on.

5) Anyone have a primer on remote operation?  How does it work?  There might be times I'd like to sit up stairs with my Mac or my MS Surface.  I realize SmartSDR doesn't work on Macs but I could probably get it to run in VMWare Fusion.   At any rate I also have a MS surface that would be perfect for it.   What happens with audio if anything?

Ok a few praises:

A) The radio is very cool.  Compact and nicely done.
B) The ATU is FAST FAST FAST!  AND QUIET!
C) CW break in is actually fun!  No clicking relays that I can hear.  The 1500 was a little annoying that way.

Nicely done Flex!

Answers

• Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    Welcome to the world of Flexradio 6300 Mark, you will have fun and enjoy the learning curve, everyone on here is great and loads of great tips.

Regarding Mac OS try this link it works great with 6300, DogPark Software free trial upgrade any time, enjoy.

Rob

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I envy you because you have so much enjoyment and discovery ahead of you.  I think you will love the 6300.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    For the audio via your computer, try the "Remote" button. Best approach is to run a direct line from the Flex audio out to a 2nd input on your Bose speakers (not sure if you have that, though).

You can double click on the panadapter to change frequency, drag the yellow line, or use the mouse wheel. FlexControl knob is a great addition.
    Think of slices as separate radios you can configure independently, but using the same antenna. For split operation, band scouting, etc. For example, I often run a slice on 6m to check beacons while monitoring digital sub bands on another slice.

Panadapter fill - not yet, but I hear it is a popular request.

Remote - remember that only one client can be running (at least right now). If you want to run a remote client (and the suggested Mac DogParkSDR is excellent) you will need to close SSDR. I've had good luck with VNC for remote operating digimodes remotely, too. So you can operate your main machine and SSDR instance from anywhere. A Windows remote can run SSDR, of course, but only on the same LAN (until version 2.0).

Oh, and with either a Mac or Windows remote client, the remote audio function works fine for moving sound where you need it. K6TU has sent an iPad remote app with audio to the iOS App Store - iPad users will have that as an option, too.

And WELCOME ABOARD
  • K9APW - Dick - Verona, WI
    edited June 2017
    Might you share with me exactly how you set up your HRD software package on your Flex thus resulting in your ability to use HRD for digital modes? I would sure appreciate a "step-by-step" tutorial as I cannot make my 6700 work on digital using any software -- & HRD is my choice of programs?? If you should be willing to help, you can use my direct email to reply, "K9APW@ Yahoo.com"?? Thanks. ****
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Hi ****, ok I sent an email.  I'm going to write up what I did more formally and I will get a posted link here.  Let me know if you have issues.
  • Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018

Mark,

If you want your receiver audio out the computer speakers,  just click the Remote button at the top..   Provided that the speakers are your default Windows Sound device..   

I thing the rest of your questions have been answered.   

Have fun with the new radio and you will learn how to get around in SmartSDR soon enough.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Left click on the bar between the panadapter and the waterfall (where you can read the frequency) and while holding the left click down move left and right.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.