Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

good remote headsets

can someone recommend a good sounding comfortable headset to use with my laptop when I am working remote ? I had a logitech gaming headset it worked well but the build was so flimsy I took them back .  thanks John kb2huk

Answers

• kg5eiu
    kg5eiu Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    My Heil Proset seems to work well - with the right adapter you can even use if via USB (iMic)
    add another adapter and you should be able to use it on your iPad.....
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This headset was recommended by someone.  I don't recall who or why but it was on a ham radio message board.  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JXAEGS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2JF4JH72JVD6N&...  ymmv.

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

I highly recommend the Yamaha CM-500 headset.  It is made for the music industry & is well constructed.  It comes with 1/8" plugs for both mic & headphones, so it will plug directly into your computer soundcard connectors  Two 1/8" to 1/4" adapters are included so the headphones can plug directly into your radio, also. The microphone has an electret element, but a battery box is supplied to provide the bias voltage.

The headset is MUCH more comfortable than the Heil.  I can wear it for hours over my glasses with no discomfort.  I can even wear them with my hearing aids in place.

The best part is the price.  They go for $55-60 on Amazon.com.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited April 2015
    I second this recommendation. This is what I've been using when working remote from my laptop. Good audio reports, and I feel the audio quality when listening is good for a $60 headset. It's a really popular headset among the Elycraft folk. 

Ray points out that it is an electret element. Many computer sound cards, including the cheap $7 USB sound card I bought, provide this voltage as most of those goose neck computer mics are electret as well. 

I usethe CM-500 with this sound card with no issues, and no need for the battery box. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NMXY2MO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited April 2015
    The microphone will not plug directly in. The headset has an 1/8 in jack for the microphone, and another 1/8 in stereo jack for the headphones. 

You can plug the headphone side of the headset in to the 6300 with a standard 1/8 to 1/4 inch stereo converter.

I made (very cheaply) a cable that connects the headset's microphone to the 6300's 8 pin input using the appropriate connectors and some quality UTP cat6. The bias on the 6300 is 5v, which is within the tolerance of the CM-500, so there's no need to incorporate a voltage divider into the homebrew cable. 

Edit: This was in response to a posting that must have been removed asking if the CM-500 can interface directly with a 6300. I'll leave it up anyway as it's relevant information for those looking to use it with their Flex directly. 
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Rob, I didn't word that very well so pulled it for a rethink.

I do have an 8 pin adapter for my Heil Handheld mike, and a stereo converter for PHONE, so just hoped to match them hassle free. And it sounds like the mike is good to go so I should be able to use the CM-500 for either remote or local service.  TNX. -Dave
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The CM 500 is about the best I think, I have been using for rag chew with a bunch of guys that pick on audio, and they say it sounds really good.
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited April 2015
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

WARNING:  The Heil Yaesu adapter will NOT work directly with the Yamaha CM-500.  The CM-500 microphone connector is a 1/8" stereo plug with the hot side of the mic connected to BOTH tip & ring.  The Heil Yaesu adapter has a 1/8" mono jack for the mic.  Consequently, when you plug the Yamaha mic into the Heil adapter, the ring is shorted to the sleeve, shorting out the mic.

There are a couple of solutions:

1. I found some 1/8" stereo to mono adapters on E-Bay for about $2 each.. Plug one of these between the mic & adapter and all is well.

2. W2ENY sells adapters for the Yamaha CM-500 on E-Bay for about $30.  (Or, I will make one for you for $15).

73, Ray, K9DUR

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    TNX Ray. I noticed that. Where do I send the $15? xxW6OVP@arrl.netXX
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

I bought the Heil Proset Elite with the IC element. I've also bought the Pro Set Plus replacement earpads. The Elite earpads are round and a little small to fully go over the ear. For the additional $9 the Pro Set Plus earpads are oval and more comfortable.

The laptop I am using is the Acer Nitro Black Edition. The sound card has a combo mic/earphone 4 pin 3.5 mm connection. I bought an audio splitter cable from Micro Center http://www.microcenter.com/product/437911/6inch_35mm_Speaker-Microphone_Jack_Splitter

The laptop supplies the voltage for the IC element.

here's my settings for rag chew operation when running remote

• 63  +4
    • 125  +2
    • 250  -1
    • 500  0
    • 1k  +1
    • 2k  +2
    • 4k  +3
    • 8k  +3

Processor on and level of normal. Transmit bandwidth for rag chew of 50 - 3500

Dave, wo2x

• Rod Lane
    Rod Lane Member
    edited April 2015
    Here's one I found on Woot some time back.  I've spent hundreds of hours wearing David Clark H series headsets, and this one compares pretty well.  It's a lot more comfortable, and sound much better. My wife even uses one at her desktop.  She finds it that comfortable.

I can use it with our without the mic boom.  It disconnects easily and it comes with a cover plug for where the boom disconnects. 

It's a little "artsy" with all of the Battlefield 4 graphics, but that doesn't bother me much.  Nice thing also, the headset terminates in a TRRS 1/8th plug that fits my Galaxy 4 phone perfectly.  Now it's dual-duty.  It comes with a "Y" cable to break out for computer use.  Not bad for the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301437547803?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

73, N1FNE

• John Molenda
    John Molenda Member
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for the info guys .  I like the look of the razer headset and I have other people compliment the products from this company Razer. thanks again  John kb2huk 
  • John Molenda
    John Molenda Member
    edited April 2015
    Still open to other ideas .   Question what is the advantage of usb connection over the two mini connectors for phones and mic if any ?  thanks  John Molenda kb2huk 
  • Gary F
    Gary F Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    I use the Heil ProSet Media with excellent results.  The cost is around $125.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

The USB connection will create a new sound card device. I found better results running the internal sound card on the new Acer Nitro laptop. I did try the Razer headset but returned it. For whatever reason I had issues under Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 with the USB headset not being able to put out enough audio level.

For the on board Realtek audio I turned off all effects and have the record device level slider set to about 60 and get excellent reports.

Dave

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bill,  Can you post your eq and bandwidth settings when using the CM 500?
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don't want to beat this one to death but this product announcement might be interesting to some:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/audio/news/nab-2015-schoeps-hsc-4vxp-headset  I have a pair of the Ultrasonne headsets and they are excellent. 

One thing to note about the Ultrasonnes is that they are very sensitive.  They pick up a fair amount of hiss if plugged directly into a Flex 1500.  I alleviated this issue by using a separate headphone amplifier (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002I9S12/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and adjusted down the gain to reduce hiss.  Another solution is to use a pair of Bose headphones instead as these have a switch for hi/lo gain.

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

I'm currently using a USB adaptor and my favorite set of David-Clarks - I think that set is a 10-30 - for remote and a RadioSport carbon at the rig. 

The DC's are not light and unless you find a used set they are an investment, but they are also life-time gear that you wouldn't destroy if you wore them everyday extensively.  Ditto with the RadioSport sets.

Steve K9ZW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.