Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Going over the #1803 update

IW7DMH, Enzo
IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I hope FlexRadio's designers will have a more reliable approach with the DAX drivers management.

I would like they start thinking to a standalone setup program with new releases only when required. I would like also the creation of new audio devices, like Dax RX, Dax TX, Dax I/Q, etc., would be "on demand".
Actually it is not convenient having a lot of audio devices, many of which will never be used. I am not only thinking about 6300/6400/6500 rigs that have a limited number of audio channels in respect of 6600/6700, but also about people like me, that never used DAX channels except for I/Q lines.
The approach used in VSP program should be more conservative and reliable considering that MS Windows updates are sometimes really unpredictable.

73', Enzo
iw7dmh

Comments

• Chris de Voogd
    Chris de Voogd Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I have to say that I agrree with the remarks of Enzo but maybe there is a reason why it is designed the way it is. 73 Chris DJ2NL
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    The problem is not a fault with Flex radio's management or creation of Dax driver devices. These kinds of problems are occurring with Windows 10 updates across the board with audio devices and port drivers of all types & purposes. It is not unique to Dax from Flex radio.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    1803 killed the auto detect when I plugged in my headset on my Dell XPS laptop. Easiest fix was to format laptop and do clean install of Win10 1803, then install Realtek driver. 

Also a LOT of people using Virtual Audio Cable with their PowerSDR Flex radios got bit too. (VAC is NOT written by Flex)/

MS **** up with trying to reorder the way they handle audio sub-systems in WinDoze 10 1803. Definitely an MS caused issue on this one.

Dave wo2x
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Always wondered if it would be possible for flex to design a program that could uninstall the older version completely to facilitate a fresh install after a windows update. This problem has gone on way too long in my opinion and another approach is needed. This has caused too many resources on Flex's side as well as hours and hours on the users side.

Jim, K6QE

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    the problem is not Flex Radio's. It is an inherent problem with Windows 10 updates. They break things.  I got another update last night. My radio is running okay, but the update killed some other programs. Last update it killed my USB hub and of all things - my mouse.
    It is just what we have to live with as Windows users. 

I used to note that I never had a problem with updates. Turns out I was just very lucky for a while.
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Please do not misunderstand my words: I never said SSDR caused the problem.
    I just suggested to keep low the number of devices, most of which are never used.
    There are no doubts that a missing device can't be damaged by any freak MS Windows update.
    73', iw7dmh
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I've asked several times for a little program possibly called "Flex refresh" that you can run after every Windows update. Windows 10 is an undeniable disaster, and the BOHICA update process is simply going to wreck people's systems over and over again. This is in no way shape or form limited to SSDR, but many programs.

This weeks update has wrecked multiple things on my laptop after last weeks nailed a USB hub and DAX was hosed, and I get a boot up message of a problem with SBAVMonL.dll not starting because Windows apparently wiping out some Creative Technology software. 

I think there would be some psychological value to just having people know to run the program after every update to uninstall everything, then reinstall everything. 
    I haven't been successful with my idea at all. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.