Go from 5000A to 6500 What features do I lose

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

I have a 5000A with ATU and RX2, latest version of PowerSDR. I use a Pixel loop on RX2 for receiving. 

What, if any, features do I lose by switching to a 6500. Not interested in what I'll gain, I pretty much know that. But with the current software for the 6500 are there features that aren't there yet?

I am particularly interested in TNF and narrow filters for CW and CW performance.

Thanks,

Pete W6OP

Photo of Pete - W6OP

Pete - W6OP

• 31 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 621 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Hi Pete, I have a 6500 now but I had the 5000A w/RX2 and ATU, and, as far as I can tell TNF and CW filters are as good if not better than with the 5000A.  I'm mainly a CW/RTTY op and really enjoy my 6500...

Dennis, k0eoo
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1458 Posts
  • 736 Reply Likes

I don't see why you can't as the 6500 allows for more than one input.

You can only have ACTIVE one SCU, but that SCU can be configured a number of ways.

If I follow right you just want to use a receive loop on 160m but still broadcast on another antenna?

I believe the 6500 has provisions for a receive only antenna in addition. 

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Pete - W6OP

Pete - W6OP

• 31 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Yes, you are correct in what I want to do. I was just looking through the hardware manual and it does look like I can use a receive only antenna in addition to my transmitting antenna. Looking through the software manual now to see how to configure it.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3791 Posts
  • 914 Reply Likes
Yes Ant1 and Ant2
Photo of Pete - W6OP

Pete - W6OP

• 31 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Page 95 of the software manual shows me I can do what I want with a receive antenna.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Pete W6OP
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4189 Posts
  • 1334 Reply Likes
Correct. You can transmit on one antenna and receive on another. You can receive on multiple frequencies at the same time. you just can't receive on two frequencies using two different receive antennas at the same time, except with a 6700.