ghosted com ports

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Is there any information on a release of SSDR that fixes the ghosted com ports problem that is in SSDR 1.10.15? I've been running without SSDR Cat installed as the problem messes up other radio connections on the computer.
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 516 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Rick

Rick

• 160 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Do a google search on that phrase and you will quickly fix Tim's easy terminal script to expose ghost ports. I've had the same problem and this should help.
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 516 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Yes, I'm aware of the fix and using Tim's postings been able to get rid of them. I'm just wondering when we will have a fix so we don't have to do that.
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes

1.10.15b and newer are compatible with Windows 10 and the com ports no longer get corrupted when upgrading Windows.

I'm on the Microsoft Fast Ring and get new versions regularly. The updated Flex VSP in 1.10.15b now behaves during an update.

If you have other virtual com ports then the software for those may be causing issues. My setup has a 4 port PCI-e card, a USB com port for the Power Mastr II wattmeter, and the Flex Control knob.

Dave wo2x

Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 516 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
How can I tell if I have 1.10.15b or not? ON the Startup screen it says the version is 1.10.15.43.

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
then you have the beta.
1.10.8 and 1.10.15 are public beta releases.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Rick

Rick

• 160 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I know know that I have problems if I use a virtual serial port app like vspe . I often have to quit SmartCAT to run other devices that utilize those virtual ports created by vspe. An no, I don't have any ghosts or duplicated ports.

I'm running win 7

Rick
(Edited)
Photo of Larry: KE2YC

Larry: KE2YC

• 76 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi all,
I am still getting corrupted com ports.  Not as many but still have to get rid of the used com ports that are not being used.

Larry ke2yc
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 215 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
I've done now several search on "ghosted com ports" and the only thing that comes is for beds!
Can you post the link ?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
Official Response
Mark, the issue with 1.10.15 is not "ghosted" com ports, that is is a different issue when a physical or virtual com port is no longer properly recognized by Windows and it can happen for a variety of reasons (drivers removed, registry entries not removed, etc..)

The issue observed with the FlexVSP driver is that valid ports are marked as reserved (in use) by Windows when they are not.  That requires a different and very specific change to the Windows registry to correct.  The procedure for removing the "in use" flag from a com port is documented in this procedure found on the HelpDesk.  

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000504463-Removing-In-Use-Com-Ports-for-Availabl...

We have entered a defect report with the company that we source the FlexVSP driver from for this issue.  At this time we do not have any information regarding an ETA on a fix.
(Edited)
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 516 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Tim,

Sorry for the confusion.

It was the reserved ports that was messing me up.  I have a Icom 7300 that uses a Prologic USB interface and one time when the 7300 was not connected, the Flex VSP "took over" that port making the software that interfaces to the 7300 stop working.  I found the HelpDesk article and cleared things up, but my understanding was that these reserved ports would keep coming back with 1.10.15 , and I was asking when this serious bug (IMO) was going to be fixed. From your comment above with the third party, I assume that this has not been addressed in 1.10.16.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
Technically, the FlexVSP driver didn't actually "take over" the port.  Windows failed to enumerate the port as being in use by the Prologic USB interface and when FlexVSP sent to create a new port from the first available, it used it as it should have.

Windows handling of virtual com ports is, well, really poor (I have a rather adult way of putting it, but you never know who is reading the Community).  This is nothing new.  Virtual com ports running under Windows has been crappy since the first virtual com port functionality was added to PowerSDR 14+ years ago.  It has gotten a little better over time, but it has a log way to go.  Physical UARTS (com ports), no problem.  Virtual com ports, many problems.

Believe me, it is very frustrating for support to deal with too.
Photo of Rick

Rick

• 160 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I feel your frustration believe me. I do have a followup question for you though. I have 2 radios that occupy physical comports. The ports that service at least 1 radio  not recognized in Device Manager unless it is turned on. Should i have these other radios powered before I install the new SSDR version so those ports aren't grabbed by SmartCAT?
Rick, W2JAZ
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
You should not have to do that.  If you never ran one of the 1.11 BETA versions, then the old FlexVSP driver will be uninstalled and the new 1.0.3 version will be installed.  The system already knows what com ports you have defined under the 1.0.2 version and it will recreate only those so there should not be a conflict.

(Edited)
Photo of Rick

Rick

• 160 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I'm running beta v 1.10.8
Rick

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
You should upgrade to the newly released 1.10.16