Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Getting read for SmartLink -- test your upload performance

13»

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    I jave an extra IQ Router V2 that I will not be using if anyone wants to save some money off the going price. Contact me directly at wo2x AT arrl DOT net for more details. I'm located in northern NJ and can also do a local meet. Dave wo2x
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Mike,

Thanks for opening this thread on remote ops, Internet service issues and bufferbloat.  I wanted to share my experience with Spectrum/TWC service and a Netgear R7800 X4S gaming router. 

First, the router was originally configured with Quality of Service (QoS) enabled with automatic default bandwidth settings (about 40 mbps download and 6 mbps upload). I was typically getting grade "F" or "D" for bufferfloat by the dslreports.com speed test.  Average speeds were just a little less than the default QoS bandwidth settings.  

Second, I had read several reports on router forums that manually lowering the automatic bandwidth setting for QoS would reduce bufferfloat.  After some experimentation with these settings, I found that manually reducing the default settings by about 25% resulted in a good balance between bufferfloat and average speed. The dslreports.com test reported bufferfloat had improved to grade "B" on average with improvement particularly large with downloads.  This helped mitigate Spectrum's evil dynamic buffering and throttling, cutting peak latency by more than half. 

Despite the previously poor bufferbloat condition, I've still had excellent results operating remote over VPN (OpenVPN and SoftEther), seldom experiencing dropouts, including a full month of daily sessions from California to Maine. However, I hope this improvement in bufferfloat latency will help in the future when network conditions are marginal. 

Thanks again for your post -- I would have otherwise not investigated this issue. 

Larry KB1VFU
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Looks like I'm good to go at home:

Now, I have to play with my work LAN connection to keep all green bars.  I occasionally get 2 or 3 yellow bars when operating my Maestro from there.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Excellent.  Don't worry about the Maestro Bars.  I routinely have 1 bar and never hear a difference.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.