Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Getting read for SmartLink -- test your upload performance

Comments

• Don, VE2HJ
    Don, VE2HJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Hi Michael, this is a helpful tool. Here is the test result at my QTH and probably the same at my planned remote site.

Some work to do to get better quality and bufferbloat.

Donald, VE2HJ

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    ..."There is nothing more frustrating then logging in and the bandwidth being so bad that it starts up the panadapter and either immediately disconnects or freezes before having time to go into the Display settings and adjusting them to use less bandwidth." ....

Yes.  I have had this very problem several times.  In order to combat it, I have a profile called "remote" that has the waterfall turned off, the waterfall rate turned to zero, and panadapter FPS at 7.  This way, If I can keep a connection long enough to load the profile, I can regain control of the rig.

Having a "Default Remote Connect" profile that the rig reverts to upon initial connect would be nice...

Here are some other options:

1) Could there be a function added to the initial Smartlink Window that would allow the user to preselect a global profile that would be used when connecting?  

2) Or perhaps a box could be adde4d that could be checked like:  
    [ ] low bandwidth mode, or [ ] Use Default Remote Profile.

This would start up the remote session with the REMOTE profile or at least with the Waterfall turned off and rate turned down.

3) Could SSDR be set so that in SSDR-Win if the Waterfall is dragged down to nothing, that the Rate is also set to zero, or suspended?  (Or in SSDR-IOS, if the Waterfall OFF switch is activated, the Rate also is set to Zero?)

Any or all of these might prevent "low bandwidth lock-out" from the remote rig.

Ken - NM9P
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Ken - I have written up the content of your comment into a feature request, #4849
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I have Comcast cable Internet at my residence in Snoqualmie Ridge, and my download speeds over my WiFi run 200+ MB/s, but Comcast throttles my upload speeds to only 30 MB/s. Via Ethernet, my download is 300 MB/s (Comcast "guarantees my download speed to be 250 MB/s). Latency is typically 12 msecs. A nice big Starbucks is 0.9 miles from my home, and I will check their WiFi speeds tomorrow when I am there, as always. However, my plans are to use my ATT iPhone for cellular data connectivity, which runs about 50+ MB/s down, but upload not sure. I will check that. too. It may be some time before we see Starbucks WiFi with decent speeds.

Br,
    Larry
    WA7LZO

• Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    By the way, If you change the display settings FPS and Rate to a very low value, the bandwidth requirements go down. I tried out with both set to 1 and I only need a few hundreds of Kbps to remote. If I run with full force, I need 7Mbps.
    Andy

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I am on day 6 of my iqrouter. The network performance has increased greatly. My bufferbloat rating went from D to A and overall performance from D to B. The Maestro network quality indicator has stayed all green for the last 4 of the 6 days of the iqrouter analysis cycle. During the analysis cycle, high network demands were in place. (Video streaming, Skype, etc). As a result, I have not had to decrease frame rate or waterfall.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Hi Bob, I'm on day 7 with my IQ and so far all speed tests green and good.  Seems like a pretty good little router.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Sorry I missed your reply. Here in Pennsylvania, the local McD's are on ATT wifi. Speed is mostly okay, until we get multiple people watching data hungry applications. What we'll have to remember is that when we try this, we'll be the data hungry users
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Amazing stuff.  I love it when a product works.  If anyone in Canada needs 1, I have 1 left in stock.  mike va3mw
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Mike

I would be. Can you contact me off list? ve6sh@iaru.org

Tm VE6SH

• Don, VE2HJ
    Don, VE2HJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Hi Mike, I would like to get two of them. How/where can i get them in Canada ?

Donald, VE2HJ

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I carried a bunch back from Dayton and they are gone, but if there is a few that want them, I will bring in a bulk shipment.  I'll have to pay duty and brokerage on them, but it is a Canadian thing we all know about.   If I can get to 10, I can do a bulk buy and that will save everyone.  Email me at mike@walkertechnology.ca and we can go from there.  
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Tim, I have an email from you and will respond.  Donald, if you need 2, I will bring them in and do all I can to maintain a price close to the US$ price (converted to CDN + HST.  Would that work for you?  

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Does the IQ Router have ddns capability also?   Just thinking of the remote end of the link in case the commercial power is lost.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    DynDNS?  Yes. 

Mike
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thanks Mike...  ordered one!
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    More like DieDNS ?   :-)

In checking the buffer bloat, with only PC connected direct to cable modem a bad score resulted. Can the aforementioned router help this problem or should the CM be changed out?

• Don, VE2HJ
    Don, VE2HJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Yes Mike,  did you get my email with my postal code and addresse ?

73 Donald, VE2HJ

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Unfortunately, I did not. Mike
  • Don, VE2HJ
    Don, VE2HJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    OK, I'll try again.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I should be good to go:

Cal/N3CAL
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Hi Cal

Your BB is a C, which is OK.  Currently I am testing at a C Level on my remote station and it isn't perfect and I will get some dropouts.   I have configured my router to not be as a good so that I can relate C to what my ears would hear.   When it is an A, it is awesome as others have indicated.   Also, you may want to try your test about 8PM on a rainy night when the world is on NetFlix (Friday or Saturday nights are good).  See if you still get a C rating.  I know I don't and can drop to an F for a few hours.

In talking to my ISP, what that is is local routers (to your QTH) are getting maxed with streaming.  Fortunately, your focus is Up Stream and they are saturated Down Stream, but you will still see some variance.

73, Mike va3mw

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Mike,

I've been using SoftEther VPN to remote to my home networked Flex for about a year now without  any issues.  it's worked very well!  I spend about two to three weeks a month away from home working so I enjoy running remote.  Most hotels I stay in provide enough speed to run SSDR but I do have to turn down the the waterfall rate most of the time.  The test above was while my wife was streaming a Netflix movie.

73 de Cal/N3CAL

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Good stuff.  You still want to do the Friday or Saturday night thing as your neighbours will have an impact on the pipe as well.  Welcome to the remote club.

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I decided to try out the IQ Router.  Just put it online and my bufferbloat went from C to A+

Cal / N3CAL
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Cal

This is great news.  And, as you know, it will get much better over the next week as it continues to self tune.  

For my VE friends, I am bringing in a bunch next week.

Mike va3mw

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Bob,

I just picked up a IQ router and initial testing looks really great!   Thanks for the tip! 

Cal / N3CAL
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Bob,

I just picked up a IQ router and initial testing looks really great!   Thanks for the tip! 

Cal / N3CAL
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Great, Cal.  I have never had such good performance with the Maestro since my iqrouter finished its six day analysis cycle.

Bob, KN4HH
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    For my Canadian friends, I order a bunch of IQ Routers from Evanroute in order to make the available for all of us.  :)  I should have them early next week.  If you are interested in one, please email me directly at mike@portcredit.net.   

Once I know the brokerage charges, I will be able to quote the price + HST.   

73 all, Mike va3mw

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.