Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Geo Diversity

Chris DL5NAM
Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Will bring us the V2 Geo Diversity or is this theme lost ?

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I do believe it's on the enhancement list for a future release but unlikely to make it into the Zero release (2.0) of V2 Your guess is as good as mine as to when
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Kinda like Lost in Space ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJrw6imp7f8
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    What is Geo Diversity?
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Ria, connecting of 2 RX  - like we have with now with Diversity but Geo means 2 RX on different locations connected via WAN.

Every RX need the GPS extension for time stamps - .... then left ear / right ear

It's also a kind of remote but with 2 radios (master/****)

73 Chris

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Aha... seems like a neat feature. DXCC and other awards won't like it (contacts won't be valid) but it'll be interesting to see it in action.

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    DXCC dont like it?
    WEBSDR.ORG is nothing else - so it's not new. Only if you have 1 VFO knob for 2 RX (real RX = Flex and not any cheap SDR sticks :-)
    I am talking only about RX - remote operation will be with SSDR 2.0 not a problem

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yes, it's against the rules. People probably do it, but in the end it's an honor system, and if you want that plaque up on the wall to mean something you stay within the rules. For contesting it's definitely a no-no and can and will get you disqualified. 

It's DXCC rule 9.a and b if you're curious. 

Remote operation where transmitter and receiver are in the same physical location are OK though. 
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yes, your right. Also using more then legal power, ESSB and ....

c) QSOs made with legally licensed, remotely controlled stations are allowed to be used for DXCC credit.

(have confirmed 331 - but no DXCC award :-)
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yes, as long as the remote is in the same DXCC entity and within a 500m circle. So you can't operate 4U1UN with a remote receiver outside the gate for example. Or you can't transmit from Europe and listen in North America. Well, you can, but it's not valid for DXCC. You can operate my station remotely from Europe (provided you have a US license) and work DXCC that way. Ria
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Ria, i am concern in new technics. Not cheating any others = myself.  Most countries have CEPT so i do not need a US call sign to work from USA.

But thats not my target, but compare 2 QTH (antennas) or check prop or my signal there will be fine.

For me it will be a playground - not a way to get an DXCC or contest advantage.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    According to the information I have from ARRL, CEPT doesn't cover remote operation. Either way remote services here such as RHR require a US license to cover themselves, and I would as well.

However anyone can get a US license if they so desire. I would even let anyone who wanted use my PO box as their address.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Just like regular diversity where the signals from two different antennas fed to two SCU's in the same radio and combined to improve reception, Geo-diversity combine signals from two different receivers for improved reception. With precise time stamps provided by the internal GPS in the VITA data packets receivers anywhere in the world could be combined.
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    GPS time stamp in vita packet

that may interesting for TOA  localisation  of interference or else
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yes, it's like lightningmaps.org since many, many years work for exact lightning strike detection.

Geo Diversity will be a feature for Flex that most of the other pseudo SDR TRX not will have
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2020
    This feature is still on the "wish list".  Currently, it isn't planned for inclusion is a major release.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Any changes visible ? :-)
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Chris, given that this thread was brought up 3 years ago my first thought is, it's not a very high priority.  It sure would be nice if SSDR had the same Diversity adjustments as PowerSDR. 

In any case, thanks for bringing the issue to the surface again.  Hopefully Diversity receive improvements have moved from the wish-list, to something closer to reality now.  
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Ralph

Yes, unfortunately FRS has not yet exhausted all the technical options that you have with your hardware and software at this point.

Integrate the stream of a 2nd Flex6 in SSDR = Geo Diversity

None of the other TRX manufacturers could do that at the moment; this is only possible with the SSDR software and Flex hardware.

I personally now have the impression that FRS has now shifted its previous focus for developments from amateur radio - which has made FRS strong in the past - to the military / governance development.

This is not a reproach and we as customers have to accept it.

I have an F6700 Limited Edition and an F6600 and am satisfied with it. But the other manufacturers are also getting closer and I would be very happy if we can say in the future that we have the best TRX with our F6. It is not about the best RX or TX but that we have the best technical solutions and possibilities.

May the gods be with us and "the dark side of the power" move this point from the "wish list" to the "to do list" so that the priority rises after more than 3 years :-)

We'll see what little things FRS will surprise us with an update next time.

73 Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.