Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Genius Power XL

Chris DL5NAM
Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
copy from FCC report

... no 10m CW possible - must be a mistake !

Comments

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I don't know Chris.  Have you downloaded and compared the FCC report from the SPE 1.3k-FA to see if there's a difference or the same?
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    see what is in lower part written. There is the product name, the device name and serial number and date

And NO, i have not compared with SPE Amp !
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Guys... Let's not get too excited about things like this.  Patience.  :)
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I believe that the FCC requires that all amplifiers have zero gain from 26 to 28 MHz.

Howard
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Howard is 100% correct.

So a properly certificated amp will have zero gain on 28.00000000000000000000000 MHz. 

It will have gain on 28.010MHz. If you are an amateur licensee you will not be transmitting exactly on 28.0 MHz. That would put you outside of the legal band and I am pretty sure the stock Flex TURF would not allow it...

The FCC has some strict rules to prevent CB amps. This is one of them. If you've had one of them in your neighborhood tearing up your TV late night because he's talking to skipland you'll appreciate it. 
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Did we ever get a ruling on getting rid of the 15db gain rule that was before the fcc last year?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    No ruling yet, only a denial of the waiver request that was requested by expert linears. 
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Del
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    One thing I do not like is that on 6 meters it needs more than 100 watts to get 1.5kw out. Hopefully that will change. 
  • Brad A. Steffler
    Brad A. Steffler Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Ria,

I suspect that the input padding attenuation will change with each band selected. All that would be needed is to reduce the input attenuation on 6 meters. Then the drive would be adequate to see 1.5 KW out across the band.Flex and 403A are chock full of smart guys. We will see 1.5 KW out with a lot less than 100 watts drive on 6 meters, I am sure.

Brad
    KE4XJ
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Like a small capacitor across one of the resistors on the input attenuator would
    help drive Power XL Amp to get Full Power at 6meters 
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Is there any publication about the IMD3 values of Flex6 from OUT=1W till OUT= max. ?

Also what max. power output on each band at 50 Ohm (not antenna) are possible?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited September 2017
    Same thing with 20 meters. qpp warr drive. Again this was a very early unit and a lot of things have probably changed since then Dave wo2x
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Can you change a device after FCC approval ? No need for new approval?

If yes, it's easy for every to get FCC :-)

I don't know how are the rules at FCC

73 Chris
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Most Flex Radio's do about 85 Watts to 90 Watts output Power
    but with needing 100 Watts output drive can only 
    guess Pout will be less than 1.5Kw on some bands :-(
    13V versus 14.2V at DC Plug of most Flex6xxx radio's

My 2K-FA puts out 2.2Kw to 2.4Kw all Bands except with 6meters 
    with 2Kw Maximum Output but use it solidly at 1.5Kw output
    to keep it cool since it's a massive amplifier in size and heavy in
    weight compared to others.

Still Prefer the Power Genius since it's Plug N Play with SmartLink 
    and v2.0.xx SSDR with remote ability, hopefully they can tweak it
    a little so Maximum drive can be less than 100 watts ( say 80 Watts)
    and very small in size and light in weight !

My 2K-FA only needs 30 to 35 Watts for 1.5Kw out on all
    bands 
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I will most gladly accept the delivery of anyone's new Power Genius XL amplifier for testing in the harsh environment created by having WWV in my backyard.  I'll put your new amp through its paces for a period of one year or until someone else sends me their Power Genius XL amplifier as a replacement for the test.

I will cover return shipping in the original containers and boxes.  Your unit will be as good a new, just carefully broken in and adapted to the high RF environment in Fort Collins.

I offer this service absolutely free of charge.  Just email and I'll give you my shipping address!  Each month you'll received a detailed report of the frequencies and power levels that your amplifier was asked to work on/at along with detailed opinions of performance as I put it through its paces on a daily basis.  Again... you get all of this free.  The only cost involved is the shipping to my QTH.  As specified above I will pay for the return shipping.

This is a deal you cannot pass up!  Your amplifier gets broken in, characterized and used in a difficult RF environment.  You'll have much more confidence once it returns back to your shack that it will meet your needs.

Email for further info on this special offer!

Mark - WS7M
  • 4O3A Signature
    4O3A Signature Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Ria, you are correct. It is just a banal mistake in FCC report. I will send comment to Lab. PGXL does not operate from 26MHz to 27.999 MHz, due to FCC rules.
  • 4O3A Signature
    4O3A Signature Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    We need 6-7W, and we have 10dB att in between radio and AMP due FCC restriction. Unit which will be ship soon needs a bit less than 100W. EU model will be with 10W of drive for full power.
    We deliver first units for 3Y0Z and this month we will start to ship pre-orders to Flex. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    So, the amps headed for the States will need near 100w to drive them to full power?
  • 4O3A Signature
    4O3A Signature Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    No. It needs 50W
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Based on this I don’t think anyone has anything to worry about.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Here are the first two for UPS pickup leaving today for 3Y0Z via Atlanta.  No problem making 1.5 kW on all bands.  100W drive is required on 6m.  

imageimage

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Nice to read that Flex is back in race after changing from Flex PA to Acom PA :-)
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    The original press release when Acom was contacted to supply amps to Bouvet had said that Flex was still going to supply two PAs and Acom was going to supply the rest (manual tune PAs). So that has not changed. Those are the two of them.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Does the amp have a ground lug? we saw some pictures were there was none.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I believe it does. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2017
    Yes, it does
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Tim please send me one of those ground lugs...  feel free to leave the PGXL attached :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.