Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Furture Upgrades?

2»

Answers

• Brian Hemmis
    Brian Hemmis Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    THANK YOU, Ken ! Part of the fun of owning a particular brand and radio model is discussing it's (and the company's) pros & cons and second guessing what's next. Although I've been registered here a while I've only made a couple comments prior to today. Many of the snide and caustic replies would make a thinner skinned person reluctant to post again. I felt my comments were of a speculative and hopeful nature and not mean-spirited in the least. I might note there is a FaceBook Flex owners page where people seem to be helpful and friendly although when stumped often send a person here. Flex owners are a diverse group- We are not all super computer geeks or super rich elitists. What we have in common is we appreciate new and alternative technologies, high performance and American made products from a solid and responsive manufacturer. It's funny, I thought the Icom Yahoo was full of fanboys. Yes, the 7300 does power spike but they will jump on you if you suggest it, Then a half dozen hams privately email you saying they have the same experience but are afraid to say it on the reflector. Ask me how I know this !  I'd hate to see this group spoiled by a few cranks. We're all in this together kids. Your analogy to a new person in your church is a good one and I thank you for bring calm to the discussion and group.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I, personally, have no problem with the upgrade fee.  I have several "box" radios from the big three and every one of them costs me money when I do anything, i.e., repair, upgrades, etc. 

Money going into the **** is what fuels new innovation.  Having been a Flex customer since the 3000 came along, I have seen a ton of innovation come out of Flex even before they started the current upgrade policy.

For anyone selling their Flex, be sure and tell the buyer about the version upgrade policy.  I am sure they will be glad to get a brand new radio now and then for free, and occasionally pay a small amount for a really comprehensive upgrade.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I seem to remember it mentioned somewhere around this forum as being included in a long list of "wish-list" items for V.2....  or at least the ubiquitous "some time in the future."  Was it by FRS officially?  I don't remember.  As we all know, FRS never officially says anything is IN or OUT until it happens, or just before.  

But as we also know, "wish list" items, and statements like "we hope to be able to add this feature,"  "a lot of people really want this," and "We think this may be possible and desirable,"  are in no way a contractual agreement, or even a promise in any way beyond saying "we would like to be able to do this..."

It has previously been discussed RE: roadmaps, that while most interpret them as "forward looking statements" about the vision of the company, and a snapshot of current expectations....  there are others who looked at the visual and verbal "we hope to develop things along this timeline" and interpret it as a solid promise, or even legally binding contract.  Which is why we no longer have a timeline.  That is unfortunate, because I love to dream and get a picture of what MAY lie ahead, knowing that in any journey detours and changes in itinerary ALWAYS happen!  Others, apparently cannot deal with the uncertainty.

So...is it IN?  I don't know... They haven't told the Alpha Team anything about what is IN, other than WAN, which is the main point.  (And I couldn't discuss it if they DID...which they didn't...)  I suspect we may see it sometime in V.2.****  but How FAR in? ... Well.... we have had V.1.**** for three and a half years, now.  And a LOT of things have found their way into V.1.**** in three years.

Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.