Full power transmission will crash and restart itself

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
6600M at 40 meter band,
when ATU bypass, if tune, SWR is 2.8.(My antenna tuner MFJ-998B is not working very well)

Full power transmission ,6600M will crash and auto restart.

when 6600M ATU open,everything is OK.

Is this normal?
Photo of BG6SNJ

BG6SNJ

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 378 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
Official Response
No, it is not normal.  

Items to test:

• Run the same test, but transmit into a dummy load - this will help eliminate RFI as the problem
  • Measure the power supply voltage at the radio to make sure you are not having a voltage brown out.
Those are the 2 majout items that can cause the radio to crash and reboot.

Mike
Photo of BG6SNJ

BG6SNJ

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I finished the test
Everything works fine when using  a dummy load.

but swr 2.6 or 2.8 when tune, the 6600M will crash?
Photo of Paul Menown

Paul Menown

• 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Take the mfj out of circuit if you are using internal atu
Photo of BG6SNJ

BG6SNJ

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My antenna is an 84-meter skyloop ,and 4:1 balun to the MFJ-998RT.
Because I use the amplifier, the 6600M internal atu can't work.
When I only use 100W, it may be possible, but the Feeder sheath may have radiation.

sorry, my english too bad. haha.

73 de bg6snj
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1107 Posts
  • 383 Reply Likes
I have something similar except I have the problem even on a dummy load
https://youtu.be/W1SP7PD6GQc
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 378 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
Burt, what make and model of power supply are you using and how old is it?  
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1107 Posts
  • 383 Reply Likes
Astron 20A but resets below 20A, age unknown but the meter is constant and it doesn't reset if the ATU is engaged.
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 378 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
My Astron 20A fails every time on the low bands and both a 6600 and a 6600M.  It isn't RFI as I can run 2000 watts out the back of the amp without issue.   The SS-25 does not.  That is from personal experience. 

With the ATU, you may not be using the same amount of current.  Just to be sure, I would add an amp meter in series on power cable and see how it goes.  

I'm pretty confident this isn't a radio issue, but a power supply issue.
(Edited)
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1107 Posts
  • 383 Reply Likes
The power supply already has an ammeter, it doesn't get near 20 A  at 80 watts. But it crashes
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 378 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
When it crashes, what happens to the voltage when measured on the back of the radio?  I bet is sags down around 11V.  Are you sure you can trust the Amp meter readings?   Also, analogue meters are pretty sluggish.   I would swap out that power supply and test again.  

I would also clean the contacts at the fuses.  It only takes about 0.2 of an ohm resistance at 18 amps to drop 3 volts.   

Areas you need to check:

• Power supply sag
  • Less than 0.5 ohm resistance in the power delivery/power cord 
  • Clean the area the fuses 
  • Try another power supply - as a test, raise the idle voltage of the power supply to 14.5 volts instead of 13.8V
However, since my 25 year old Astron 20A is doing the same thing on 2 different radios, I am highly suspecting the power supply and once I get up to my remote station, I am going to swap it out for another power supply.

It does not do the same thing on the SS25 or the Alinco DM-330MVT supply in my case.   Feel free to feed back after you have done the above tests.

Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 357 Posts
  • 134 Reply Likes
Good point Mike, I have 3 Alinco DM-330 and one is dedicated to just the Flexradio. Even so I experience crashes/lockup in the past on 80m when using an amp. I have beverage antennas on both RXA and RXB so I moved the amp a few feet more away from the 6700 and loaded up on ferrites on everything connected to the radio including looping the power cord through a larger ferrite. That took care of it.
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 378 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
Burt, sounds like your RS20A is working as designed.  It is browning out just past 16 amps and that is all it can do continuously.  It is a 20A peak meaning, ok enough for SSB only and not for any constant carrier modes like CW, RTTY or FT8.
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 378 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
Official Response
Tim and I discussed this this morning. 

The RS-20A power supplies just don't have enough and I went and dug up the specs.  The RS20A is a 16A continuous supply and 20A ICS.  We need closer to 25.  

This is why the SS-25 is a 20Amp continuous and 25A ICS (Intermittent Communication Service - aka - peak).

If you have to run an RS20A or similar, go into the the radio and set your maximum TX  power to about 80 watts until you have a chance to upgrade your power supple.  This is in the TX menu.

Mike