Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FT8 with v1.6.17.74 - Mode Keeps Changing

Fred-NA2U
Fred-NA2U Member ✭✭
Just installed FT8.  The mode keeps changing from DIGU to SSB every 15 seconds.  Any idea how to stop this?  Just not enough time to keep clicking Mode!

Answers

• Mike N9NTC
    Mike N9NTC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    The FT8 software only works on SSB
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    I use USB for all digital modes but FT8 demands USB
  • Fred-NA2U
    Fred-NA2U Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thanks, Guys!  73 de NA2U
  • Fred-NA2U
    Fred-NA2U Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Got ahead of myself.  Tried FT8 in SSB mode and I got nothing.  It does transmit in DIGU.  Puzzlemant!
  • Larry , W8LO
    Larry , W8LO Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I have used DIGU for PSK, JT65, & FT8.  No problems so far.
  • Fred-NA2U
    Fred-NA2U Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Yes, decoding in SSB but I can only transmit if I change to DIGU
  • Fred-NA2U
    Fred-NA2U Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    It will also decode in DIGU but then switches back to USB
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    Are you using any other programs like DXLabs Commander? What mode is Commander commanding? Maybe another program that has control of your radio.

In WSJT-X under the Radio tab I have Mode Data/Pkt selected.

Kev

• Fred-NA2U
    Fred-NA2U Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Using DXLAB Commander.  The FT8 behavior does not change if I set Commander to DIGU.  As soon as I click on WSJT-X the mode changes to USB on the radio and in Commander
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    Can you turn Commander off and try without it? Does it still change back to USB?
  • Fred-NA2U
    Fred-NA2U Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Kevin, I do NOT find a Radio tab in WSJT-X.  And, to clarify, I'm using WSJT-X v1.8.0-rc1
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    When things are properly configured, you should be using DIGU for both TX & RX... >> I suspect some other program ( Logging program, control program, etc.) is causing the radio to switch modes unexpectedly. try shutting down every thing except SSDR and WSJT-s and see it its still switching modes..   How do you have Radio control configured in WSJT-X ?

AL, K0VM
  • Fred-NA2U
    Fred-NA2U Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    As soon as I turn off Commander I'm prompted that the radio is not configured.
  • Fred-NA2U
    Fred-NA2U Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Radio control is configured to use DXLAB Commander (so Qs will automatically log when completed).  When I switch to FlexRadio 6xxx I'm prompted that the radio is not configured.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited August 2017
    OK I think you are set up differently than I am. WSJT-X is capable of controlling the radio directly. I am using WSJT-X v1.8.0-rc1 r7847 which I think might be the latest? Haven't checked.

At any rate, because WSJT-X supports the radio directly I am not using DXLabs commander as a middle man. What I did was set up SmartSDR Cat with a new TCP port 60000 using slice A.

Then I configured WSJT-X to use this port for control.

Then if you are still switching back to USB you can turn off Commander or any other control program and see how WSJT-X reacts. I have a feeling it won't switch back. Then the task is to understand why DXLab commander is switching you back. Let's see what happens here first.

Kev

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited August 2017
    Are you also running JTAlert-X? It takes care of logging to DXKeeper as well as a ton of other useful stuff. 
  • Fred-NA2U
    Fred-NA2U Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    BINGO!  Reconfiguring the port solved it.  Many tnx, Kev.  73 from the desert.
  • Fred-NA2U
    Fred-NA2U Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Yes, running JTAlert-X and it worked like a charm, Kev.  TNX!
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    The Radio tab is in

File>Settings

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.