FT8 with 6600M

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Answered
Is it possible to run FT8 on my new 6600M without a PC.  I know that a computer is required for the WSJT program but will the radio do everything else?  I have a IC 7300 and it does the "everything else" part easily.  I am hoping the 6600M will do so also.
Photo of Gordon, ve7on

Gordon, ve7on

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of John - K3MA

John - K3MA

• 273 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Yes.  You will find it easier to setup a Flex to interface to other programs than many other rigs.

Search the forum for the program and you will most likely find a video example of how to setup CAT, DAX and the decoding program.

Oh and one other pro tip.  Read about setting up Profiles.  If you setup a profile for each of your digital programs then you will find startup to run to be very easy and fast.

Opps just realized you might also want to download and read/play with the free FRStacks program on the PC that you use for the decoding software.  Because you have a M model it will make it much easier to switch profiles, use memories, band stacking and CW via the keyboard.  Hint....setup hotkeys so that you can change display bandwidths when you move mode via one push of a button.

John K3MA
(Edited)
Photo of Mike va3mw

Mike va3mw

• 824 Posts
  • 196 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Gordon

No, you still need a PC to run all digital modes, however we make it very easy as you won't require any cables or digital interfaces at all.

Mike 
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1039 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
I run WSJT-X with the flex 6600m with and without SSDR. I just have SmartCAT and DAX running on the PC with WSJT-X.

So in answer to your question it runs fine.
Photo of Bob- W5TX

Bob- W5TX

• 92 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Gordon, yes you can run wsjt on pc without SSDR all
let radio do all else. You may need to get a patched wsjt v1.8.0 as the “official”version needs a couple of files revised for the 6400 /6600 radios. You can look on forum for info by wo2x and a link to revised file.
Photo of Tommy Teague

Tommy Teague

• 16 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have run it without SmartSDR.  The DAX... works from the face of the radio.
Photo of Gordon

Gordon

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks for the replies.  With Mario's help I have it working.  So yes, it can be done.

73 Gordon

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.