FT8 power level

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Just wondering what power levels everyone is using for FT8. I keep it low but I'm not sure how low it should be.

Also, I had to add a mapping for FT8 to DATA in TSQL to get it to upload to LOTW.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 479 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of David - AB1XG

David - AB1XG

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have never run more than 40 watts (very inefficient HOA friendly antennas here), but I've also seen reports that say JT8 isn't like other WSJT modes, run what's necessary to make the contact. Still, I would be uncomfortable running more than what I do now.
Photo of Jerry Gardner

Jerry Gardner

• 63 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I normally run about 35 watts, but will go all the way up to 1500 watts if necessary to bag a rare one.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3703 Posts
  • 1552 Reply Likes

I normally run about 75W into a gain antenna with an ERP near 600W

However when I try to work any station below -18dB I always kick up the power to 1.5KW with an ERP around 12KW.

I might note that my 6700 usually hears about 6dB better than the legacy radio at the other end hears me when we are running the same power levels so if I hear them about -18dB they are most likely hearing me around -24dB or more likely not hearing me at all...

So power is the only way that they can copy me.

The MYTH of low power is a legacy of PSK31 which is overly sensitive to XMT IMD hence the need to keep power levels low for PSK31.

This is NOT TRUE for FT8 which is a WEAK signal Mode NOT A LOW POWER MODE.

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3703 Posts
  • 1552 Reply Likes

I am wondering if anyone else has done a correlation between their sent and received signal reports on FT8.  

Assuming we are running the same power, I generally find that I hear about 6dB better than most legacy radios especially when they use external interfaces such as Microham but almost equivalent to most SDR

Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2308 Posts
  • 946 Reply Likes
I ran 200 watts to catch indonesia on 30.
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 492 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Will the PG-XL output 200 Watts on 30m?
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2308 Posts
  • 946 Reply Likes
It can do up to 2kw. Into a dummy load of course. :)

However I have my Tx profile on 30 set so that PGXL can do 200 watts CW.

Even the alpha 91 I have works on 10Mhz
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 492 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Interesting that it's not limited to 200 watts. Can't wait for the roll-out. Like to band hop on FT8, pouncing on the best DX of the moment.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.