Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FT8 and DAX eat up my 4G allowance. Anyone using Remote Rig?

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
FT8 eats up my 4G data allowance when using Flex DAX. Have anyone tested e g Remote Rig compressed mode eventhough you loose some dB of deep resolution? I understund that it can be done. Or any other bandwidth diminishing techniques out there in use ? I run 100 % remote at my isolated island and eventhough you may buy more 4G it is quite some hassle to do it. Yesterday and day before that I used 20 GB after some very successful remote DX-ing. 73 Kari SM0HRP www.sm0hrp.se

Answers

• kr4k
    kr4k Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    For digital modes, I use SplashTop.com and remote into the home QTH. It consumes much less data allowance than Flex DAX. Works well.

73/gus  kr4k
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited January 2019
    What is SplashTop for a EU ham? If like Team viewer you would need a PC at remote Flex. I preferenser not to use PC with so much ham Gear at remote site. Increases reliability.
  • kr4k
    kr4k Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    https://www.splashtop.com/personal

I've tried many remote desktops, and this one works best of all for me. Others use Go-to-My-PC, and similar remote desktop apps.

Works with windows, mac, iPhone, iPad, linux. Free use within your LAN, and 18 USD annually for access from INTERNET.  Feeds received audio, but there is no TX audio, which is fine for digital.

73/gus

• Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited January 2019
    Ok thanks Gus for all info.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I use VNC and a vpn.
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Team Viewer is known to be very bandwidth efficient, for both video and audio. Top notch security. Works flawlessly across firewalls, hotel/cafe networks, etc.
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited January 2019
    But I do not want to use a Remote PC. Arter 5 years or serious dx and contesting over remote being without a remote PC is the trick I believe. I need to do it with remote rig boxes it seems. Like making local CW side tone when doing remote contesting. Hopefully Flex is coming up with a solution soon.
  • kr4k
    kr4k Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    For the data rates associated with RemoteRig settings, see:
    http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=388
    http://www.remoterig.com/firmwares/datarates090529.pdf

This covers your audio and PTT.

I use RemoteRig with a TS-480 and TS-2000. For these special radios, you also get control, but you effectively have a local computer - the remote radio face.

For a Flex, you want no remote computer? Will you use serial over RemoteRig somehow - without a remote computer - to control the Flex?

Where will your FT-8 MODEM be running, and what exactly do you expect for a radio interface? 

73/gus  kr4k
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited January 2019
    I use Remote Rig today for remote Contesting. To get local CW sidetone (and for Rig control) when using a Contest logger. I use the com 3 fsk port. No other PC free alternative. Works 100 % ok. So doing FT8 should go fine. Guess the fsk port 3 would do it with as high bit rate as possible. But I have not tested yet.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.