Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FRStack 1.4.7 adds Scanning, Band Edge Beep, Band Use Label, SSB Meter Level Mute, Remote Hand or Fo

Mark_W3II
Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
This release of FRStack allows you to create up to 10 Scan Banks. A scan bank is a group of memories which are scanned in sequence in one of three modes. Scanning is initiated by using the slice context menu to select the scan bank you wish to scan.

Band Edge Beep feature when enabled emits a short beep from the PC where FRStack is running when a slice frequency crosses the band boundary in less than a 1MHz change. There will be no beep when changing Ham Bands. 

Band Use Label feature displays a slice frequency’s US Band Plan plan information. For example 7.200 MHz will display “40M Phone EAG” which indicates Phone portion of band for Extra, Advanced and General class operators.

SSB Meter Level Mute feature will mute the active slice when the current meter level is below a user selected level setting. This is a poor man’s squelch for SSB.

The MOX COM Port feature allows you to use a hand or foot switch to key the transmitter using your remote PC’s serial port (or USB port using a inexpensive USB to RS232 Converter) . Consult the FRStack Help for additional information.

The original FRStack postings:

Global Hotkeys for common SmartSDR operations in FRStack

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/global-hotkeys-for-common-smartsdr-operations-in-fr...

Memories and Most Recently Used Frequency Utility

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/memories-and-most-recently-used-frequency-utility

This link downloads the most recent FRStack

https://onedrive.live.com/download?resid=D6EA27C831DD8A7A!914&authkey=!AOBrxzxCvgXMTYw&ithin...

Comments

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Mark, I updated to the new version and got this screen:

BandEdges.cfg:

1.8|2.0
    3.5|4.0
    7.0|7.3
    10.1|10.15
    14.0|14.350
    18.068|18.168
    21.0|21.45
    24.89|24.99
    28.0|29.7
    50.0|54.0
    144.0|148.0
    222.0|225.0
    420.0|450.0
    902.0|928.0
    1240.0|1300.0

line 8 is 7.0|7.3, which should be 7.0|7.2 for our region. Can't see what overlaps there.

All else runs, will test tomorrow. Thank you for your excellent software!

73, Alex DH2ID
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    This is a region parsing issue. You use commas for decimal separators right?
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Mark,  thanks for this program and for continuing to make it better.  You and all of the others who develop these apps make our favorite radio just that much better.  I only wish I had the skills to make some of the ideas we banter about into workable solutions as you have.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mail is on the way :-) Yes, we use commas as decimal separators here,
    although I wish that could be interationalized...
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I have updated the program to fix this issue.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mark, with the newest version the decimal separator issue was solved.
    Thank you again for your effort and FRStack,
    Alex DH2ID
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Localization issues.  Who what have thunk it? (this has tripped us up more than once)
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Great program! Incredibly useful!

Just one thing is there anyway to specify the Dax channel on the scanning feature?

Also, the scanner doesn't seem to be holding for me - even when there is a QSO going on, the scanner "moves on"...

Roy, AC2GS
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    This is a great program and only getting better.
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    The DAX Channel of the Scan Bank Memory should be set on the Scanning Slice. Double check the memory has the DAX Channel you desire.

Have you set the Scanning Mode to Hold and then set the meter level control just above the noise floor?
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    OK, it seems to be behaving. It took me a little time to figure out the new features.

Perhaps in some later iteration you might consider being able to edit the numerous settings for each frequency.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Yep, I've bumped my head against this one several times in my software.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Many thanks for this effort Mark.  The new features are nice additions, especially the scanning feature and the squelch. It was easy to learn the new items from the summary given above.  Now to add to memories and scan lists.

This really adds to the enjoyable operating time with the 6500, especially the SWL part. 
      _..--
    k3Tim

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Google Chrome is blocking my download because it "may harm your browsing experience...."
    How do I work around that?  
    I know.... download Mozilla Firefox...
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I got the same thing, Ken.  At least when Firefox blocks a download you have the opportunity to disregard their message and download it anyway.

I am really, really tired of companies trying to protect us from ourselves.  If you read their little message that goes along with the block it's obvious that they feel that they know way more than you do.  I appreciate a warning.  I don't appreciate being told I can't do something.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Firefox worked....
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Observed this also on Chrome on the past several downloads.  Checking the download file with two independent virus detectors gave an all clear.  I'd say better safe than sorry so I'm happy Chrome's got my back.  A false negative beats a false positive any day.  

Be that as it may, the app is just terrific!  
    _..--
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    New Request:

Because the USA is one of the few countries in the world that still designates CW Only Bands, during the heat of a SSB contest I sometimes find myself working too close to the SSB Exclusion Zone.  

Could you also insert a Mode Edge Beep for SSB to remind us not to transmit in the CW zones. 

"My Opinion - I really hope that some day we can transmit SSB in the same bands as all the DX stations already can" 
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Oh, perhaps one day the minority of the world's Amateur Radio population will follow the rules the majority of the world's Amateur Radio population follow.
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I have created an updated BandEdges.cfg file that includes the CW to Phone transitions. Download the BandEdges-CW.cfg file using the link below then rename current BandEdges.cfg to BandEdges-ORIG.cfg and rename BandEdges-CW.cfg to BandEdges.cfg then copy to FRStack installation folder.
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D6EA27C831DD8A7A!1951&authkey=!AMV8zyXNo53Ux5c&ithint=...

• Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for the scanner mode, as a listener of Utility Stations (aviation, weather fax, coast guard, and many others) it will help to discover where they are operating. I programmed 5,6,8,11,13 MHz aviation frequencies in and found them right off.
    The muting seems to work quite well. I'll explore more as time permits.  Best Regards,  
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited November 2016
    I use both seems to be a way around the road blocks :)

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    @Mark
    Thank you

That was amazingly fast.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    @Walt
    Hate to tell you this but the World does NOT revolve around the USA.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_operator
    There are far more Ham Operators outside the USA

SO... I totally agree with you....perhaps one day the minority of the world's Amateur Radio population (USA) will follow the rules the majority of the world's Amateur Radio population follow (the Rest of the World) ...and eliminate archaic SSB exclusion zones.

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    "My Opinion - I really hope that some day we can transmit SSB in the same bands as all the DX stations already can"

Do you mean to say delete the CW-only segments on the lower sections of most bands? That would be an egregious alteration in my opinion. I treasure the CW allocations and can't imagine a workable SSB intrusion. SSB has a huge allocation on most bands and should leave the CW slice of the pie alone. Surely you are not suggesting otherwise?

I suspect I have misunderstood ...

W7NGA - Daniel
    Koh Samui, Thailand
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Of course I am...

Most countries in the world have for a long time let Hams decide what modes that they want to use and which part of the bands they want to use...

Unfortunately we live in a Nanny State where Big Brother dictates where you can and cannot use a mode.  So much for the alleged Freedom of the USA..

You only have to look to our neighbor to the North.. No limits on band usage by mode..

Frankly it does not cause much of an issue in the rest of the FREE WORLD as who the heck want to carry on an SSB conversation when all the CW racket is around...

OTOH there are times when I wish to work a DX SSB Station below say 14.150 but I am precluded by our rules..

BTW.. this issue was hashed out years ago by the FCC who decided to continue the Nanny State for a few more years...

Like with the Demise of the CW Licensing impediment, i fully expect that Band Mode Freedom will ultimately come to the USA.
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'll keep my fingers crossed that wiser and less myopic minds will prevail. Sorry Howard I couldn't disagree with your proposition more fervently. Should you ever relearn the Morse code you might enjoy it and understand a mixing of the two modes is not the best approach. It might benefit your SSB contesting desires but the ham universe is much more expansive than just you. Then again, there is also a historical aspect that perhaps biases my perspective.

Thanks Mark for your efforts. I am anxious to return home soon and use your software with my new 6500.

W7NGA
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Oh stop it Howard, that is an insane claim. Just because you don't do CW doesn't mean the those **** democrats are raining on your parade.

With the exception of Japan, the US, by FAR has the majority of licensees per country. What is the Japanese band plan and did Obama decree it as well?
    Rank Country Amateur Radio Licenses
    1 Japan 1296059
    USA 679864
    3 Thailand 141241
    4 RO Korea 141000
    5 Germany 79666
    6 Chinese Taipei 68692
    7 Spain 58700
    8 UK 58426
    9  Canada 44024
    Russia 38000
    11 Brazil 32053
    12 Italy 30000
    13 Indonesia 27815
    14 France 18500
    15 Ukraine 17265
    16 Argentina 16889
    Poland 16000
    18 Australia 15328
    19 Netherlands 14529
    20 Sweden 10817
    India 10679
    22 Venezuela 10600
    23 Denmark 10060

The rest are all under 10,000

* Japan absolutely has CW only segments...sorry Howard.
    http://www.jarl.org/English/6_Band_Plan/JapaneseAmateurBandplans20150105.pdf
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    if you want Chrome to Download it just click on the left side of the download line and "show all downloads"  then click on "Recover malicious file"  then you can download it manually to the Downloads folder. 

Bret
    WX7Y

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I too have them all but my preference is SeaMonkey project at
    http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    Once you tweak the security settings to your liking you are good to go.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.