Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Frozen Brand New Radio

Options
2»

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Mike, the M model does not need to be connected by a lan cable in order to work. You may try and unpluging that lan cable and see how it works. It will only need the cable to the network for updating.
    If that does not solve the problem, then RF is effecting the radio another way. Anything connected to the radio can be an antenna.
  • Holger Hannemann
    Holger Hannemann Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi Mick
    You never said when your display freezes. Is that during operation or during boot/start-up process? If during start-up it wouldn't be a RFI issue but more likely a network problem. If the radios comes up just fine when switched on without Ethernet connection it would confirm this. If so a reset of your router may solve the issue.

I had similar problems with my 6600M during start-up . It was an issue with assigning the IP addresses and solved by router reset.

If the problem happens while operating you may check for RFI issues, common mode etc.

73 Holger, ZL3IO
  • Mick
    Mick Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Thanks Holger,
    Actually you're right on the money.
    The network culprit and freeze up during start up was my network connection.
    I had the radio and the laptop in my shack going to a range extender to my WIFI
    router in the living room. The extender was dying, I reset it and it connected once.
    Then I tried to go in the extender to set a password and could not get in.
    So, I hit the reset button and it never connected to my router again.
    It's now in it's resting place in the trash can. ;)
    Radio works fine, I just have a direct connect to my laptop for now.
    I put a ferrite on the Ethernet cable to the radio and separated all the cords
    instead of having them wrapped together under my desk and now there is no freeze up
    or any other problems with RFI.
    Thanks all for your help!!! 
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Glad it worked out
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Glad you got it fixed.

We do get a lot of power supply problems with all types of power supplies.  Flex radios require 25A or better.

The one test you need to do is have the radio transmitting in a constant carrier mode (like FM) into a Dummy Load.  Now, we a voltmeter you trust to measure the voltage on the back of the radio and make sure it is about 13.5V or higher.  Again, while transmitting.

Since the radio draws over 20amp on TX, imagine if you had 0.1 ohm resistance somewhere between the power supply and the radio.  How much voltage do you think you could lose?  

I can give you the answer if you wish, but give it some thought.  :)

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi Mick,

Sounds like you got it sorted.  I will say that you would be best to hardwire your radio to your router using shield network cable and perhaps some RFI cores on the cable ends for good measure.

A vast majority of "strange" issues with Flex Radios have been resolve with better networking.

Another option would be to do a fiber link between where your radio is and your router.  More expensive, more pieces to be buy but the benefits are zero RFI pickup on the fiber cable which can be very long.  And isolation from any kind of spike that might come over ethernet.

I have my radio and its switch connected via fiber just for safety sake.

Mark - WS7M

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.