Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Front Panel Display... An Idea!

WA6FXT Mike
WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in New Ideas
How about some radio 'status' information on that neat front panel display. 1. GPS information (Same data, or as much as will fit) available in the GPS window (v0.15.2.59) Freq. Error, Grid, Lat/Long, Alt. 2. Supply voltage (Current, if you can measure it) 3. Temperatures 4. Fan Speed 5. ???
12 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    5. View / set IP address settings.
  • W4EG
    W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Mike, The same as your request for additions to the Roadman. These, also are some that I would support. But, why do I need to know my grid/lat/long/alt/ etc. Those don't change and I would assume that it does not for others. (unless you are going mobile) The same with the IP address? This change every time I turn my computer. if I need the IP for the radio I click the CAT setup. I feel that we are going overboard on the request subject.
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    No, the roadmap request are not features, they are fundamental for the radio; whereas, this feature and the GPS data on the status bar are definitely add-on's, like CWX, memory keyers, psk32 and packet decoding. Mike
  • WB5CCO
    WB5CCO Member
    edited February 2016
    Is there a time line when we will be able to assign a static IP address rather than obtaining it from the DHCP Server??
  • Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Can't wait to be able to manipulate IP Static Address and port(s)
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Mike, Regarding #2 (voltage and current), see Steve's comments here. http://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/how_do_the_fans_operate_in_the_flex_6000 Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Some more suggestions... + Active slice frequency + SWR/Power + Audio level display & volume control on rocker switches + "IF Shift" display & adjustment + Network time + System Up time + Transmit timer Can the display change color? Menu selection to set any value as the "sticky" default. Ideas, ideas, ideas!!
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    I can see some display items as being a good idea but many of these are on the SSDR display. Isn't that what you are normally looking at and not the front of the black box? Greg
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hi Greg, I'm thinking that in some cases, I would like to maximize my screen real estate for a logger or other applications, and minimize SSDR. Having some info on the black box would be a help then.
  • Drax
    Drax Member
    edited November 2013
    I'm debating with myself the philosophical reasons why the box even has a display. Other than it's nifty looking for advertising. Everything should eventually be available in the software leaving the relativity expensive (I searched for like ones on Mouser - even in volume) component of the display redundant, right?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Drax, I think there is a valid reason to have the display provide some basic information for troubleshooting. The may be times when you can't connect SmartSDR to the radio. It could be a network issue, PC issue, Power supply issue, cabling issue, SmartSDR issues or maybe something else. - voltage / current - fan status - temperature - GPS status I agree that everything should/could be also available in the SmartSDR appliation also. (and more) This will be especially important when true remote operation over the Internet is implemented. Also for those of us that have located the radio in plain view on the operating table, the scrolling screen can provide that most basic information even when we don't have SmartSDR up and running. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    One more reason for the display --- at some point the configuration keypad will probably support some features for setup or troubleshooting. The display will likely be used to show menu options and messages. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Drax
    Drax Member
    edited November 2013
    You know I never even noticed that those directional buttons are on the front of it! It has to be button burnout. Like my tv setup has three remotes and 70 buttons but only a few that do anything I need.
  • Drax
    Drax Member
    edited March 2015
    Maybe then the display could be used to select a boot image for the FPGA chip.
  • Greg Zenger [N2GZ]
    edited December 2016
    When using the radio, you can turn the connected computer off and continue to operate because all of the demodulation takes place inside the radio. With the flex control connected to the radio, you will have the ability to change frequency. The display can be used to show the frequency, mode and other operating settings. Why would you want to operate without a computer attached? Well you probably wouldn't, however in the event of a computer failure you might still want to chase DX or finish a contest. Or maybe you are doing field day and want to use the radio as a 'traditional' radio, no shame in that. I'd certainly consider this a low priority upgrade, but the hardware is there so when the other features on the list have been implemented, perhaps we will eventually see a 'throw-back' mode where the radio can be operated like the radios of the previous generation.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    In a power outage, your battery will last longer without the computer. I will hate to resort to using my Icom just because I am running on battery power.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Get your "fixed" IP by DHCP leasing by MAC address and you can manipulate your ports and network priorities to your hearts content.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Here is a suggestion on how to set up what you would like to display on the LCD panel.  Update the "Radio Identification" box on the "Radio Setup" screen.  

Some notes:  The items in the list are just suggestions, more could be added.  The Item titled "Supply Cable Resistance" was suggested by Steve Hicks.   See this post for details.  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/how_do_the_fans_operate_in_the_flex_6000?topic-repl...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.16
    Win10

• Mike NA5U/K5D/K1N
    edited March 2017
    I really like these! Just scrolling through them would be monitor of system health. Thanks.
    Mike
    NA5U
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭

I like this too, and I think would be easy for Flexradio to add.....

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭

After 7 years and the fact that the displays were not carried to the new models, it is very unlikely to happen now. There are many more enhancements that would benefit a wider range of customers. They also that have more votes and have not been addressed either over the years.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.