FRLogger - Custom Alerts Tutorial

• Praise
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • (Edited)
This is a tutorial on how to use regular expressions to create very powerful custom Alerts in FRLogger.

FRLogger has a very powerful Alerts engine that can Alert on just about anything you can think of.  The sky, and your imagination, is the limit when it comes to creating alerts in FRLogger !  

A regular expression is simply a sequence of characters that define a search pattern.  These search patterns can be used to parse out just about anything you want from the available search fields in the FRLogger Alerts engine. A regular expression looks like this [aA-zZ][aA-zZ][0-9].$

Here are some Alerts I created using regular expressions.

Alert if someone calling CQ between 20-25 WPM is spotted -  [2][0-5] WPM

Alert if a signal stronger than 30 dB is spotted -  [3-9][0-9] dB

Alert if a 2x1 callsign is spotted (Great for chasing WPX awards) -  [aA-zZ][aA-zZ][0-9].$

Alert if a  2x2 callsign is spotted (Great for chasing WPX awards) -  [aA-zZ][aA-zZ][0-9]..$

Alert if a SKCC K3Y Special Event Station is spotted -  (K3Y.[0-9])

Alert if a 13 Colony Special Event Station is spotted -  [kK][0-9][aA-mM]$

Alert if a 1x1 Special Event Station is spotted -  [nNkKwW][0-9][a-zA-Z]$

Let's take a look at how to create a custom Alert using a regular expression. We will be creating one of the alerts I created above.  CW speed between 20-25.  However, you could create any alert you like. 

First, open the Alerts Editor in FRLogger by clicking on Alert Settings button in Alerts panel.

Select the COMMENT field. (The COMMENT field is where the CW speed info is stored)

Insert the regular expression into the text match box   [2][0-5] WPM

Select RegExMatch in the Match drop down menu.

Select the Modes and Bands you desire for the Alert.

Enter a message for the Alert in the Message box.

Set a color for the alert in the Mark & Color box.  (For Alert color on Alert Panel only)

Set the type of notifications you would like. (Display notification (Windows Pop Up), 
Send Email or Send Text or all three if you like.  

Set a color for the Alert on the panadapter. 

Create a Test Spot to see if color looks good on panadapter.

You can set a sound to play for an Alert if you like.

You can also trigger a script to perform another action such as open Notepad or another program.

Here is what my panadapter looks like with color coded Alerts.

Yellow = Normal spots.
Orange = Continent Alert for Europe
Orange Background = Alert for CW at 20-25WPM

To learn more about regular expression visit https://regex101.com  Here you can create and test your own regular expressions for use in FRLogger Alerts.

Have fun and share your custom FRLogger Alerts with the Flex Community !!  

Joe
N3HEE

Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 334 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Bob- W5TX

Bob- W5TX

• 112 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Joe, Thanks, good info.
Photo of AB4RW

AB4RW

• 108 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
any tutorial on spot clusters? maybe list or something, great info on alerts! Thanks!
Photo of Mark WS7M

Mark WS7M

• 505 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
Thank you Joe for the example and tutorial!  I will likely integrate this into FRLogger help under the alerts section.

To add to what Joe has done:

For the CW alerts you need your spot source to have skimmer/beacon spots enabled.  The CW speed and signal strength are put into the COMMENT field on spots when you enable skimmer spots.

After you connect to a spot source, you can use the message window to send a command to the spot source telling it to enable skimmer spots.  I believe most of these will remember that it is on for your call sign.

In general:

There are two primary sources of "stations to work" in FRLogger.  The primary one is from a spot source.  Provided with FRLogger are some common spot sources but you can create others if you have one you like to use.

The other source is from WSJT-X if you are using it and enable the monitoring.  

Both of these "sources" create a QSO record/object for every station that is spotted or monitored from WSJT-X.

By using a QSO object alerts can key off of the same fields whether the source is a spot or a WSJT-X monitored station.

The way that alerts work in FRLogger is based on matching things against fields.  You can as Joe shows use Regular Expressions to match lots of neat things in almost any field you want.

For example, on a much simpler case.   Assume that a new DXpedition is going to be operating and they have said their call sign will be  ZZ95AA.    You want to work them.

You can quickly add an alert where you look for CALL contains ZZ95AA.   This will alert you anytime ZZ95AA appears as a spotted call or in a WSJT-X monitored station.

After you've worked them on all bands and all modes you can easily delete that alert record.

I expect that the alert system will continue to see some improvements over time.  I'm always open to ideas.