Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Freeze when rearranging panadapters

rfoust
rfoust Member ✭✭
edited March 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hi,

Found an issue that is pretty easy to reproduce and causes SmartSDR to lock up completely, where Windows throws up the "SmartSDR is not responding  - close/wait" message.  Here are the steps I've been taking to reproduce:

1) Open 6 panadapters (4 didn't seem to trigger it, or at least not as quickly - I didn't try too hard with 4)
2) Maximize one of them.
3) Un-maximize that same one.
4) Drag and rearrange that, or any other, panadapter to reposition it.
5) Repeat steps 2-4 a few times (might take 4 or 5 tries) to trigger the app hang.

After the app hangs, if click on it with the mouse, thats when Windows pops up the "not responding" window, and if I let it stay there for another few seconds, a ~2 inch wide blank vertical bar shows up on the right edge of the screen (from top to bottom, on top of whatever is on the screen).  It's not the windows 8 "start" bar, that bar still functions properly.  After I **** the SmartSDR app, that blank bar goes away.

In addition (no idea if this is useful at all), if I have Perforator attached to the SmartSDR process, at the time of the app hang, The "HW IRTs per frame" drops to zero, and the other metrics freeze at what I assume was the last known value, such as:

Frame Rate: 28 fps
Dirty Rect Addition Rate: 344 rects/s
Video mem usage: 45.02mb (out of 2gb)

My OS is Windows 8.1, current patches.
SmartSDR v1.1.3
FlexRadio 6700
FlexControl

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Robbie

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This is a known defect that is in the bug tracker.  It is on the list to be fixed.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Awesome, thanks Tim!
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    In case they need any more info, I found a faster way to cause the same type of freeze.

1) Load WPF Performance Suite
    2) Launch SmartSDR in Perforator
    3) Click the Visual Profiler tab
    4) Select Actions -> Select Process, and select SmartSDR
    5) In the "Element Tree" box on the left, expand "MainWindow" and either click on "MainWindow or "Border" (which is one level above MainWindow).

Selecting one of those elements seems to immediately freeze the app with the same vertical bar on the right edge of the screen.  I'm not sure if this is triggering the same bug in the code, but it kinda looks like it.  Might make testing a little easier/faster for the developers.

Thanks,

-Robbie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.