Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FreeDV on Smart SDR 1.4.11

EA4GLI
EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
The Waveform installer is available here:

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/freedv_waveform_installer-msi/

I installed the file. A FDV red icon appeared in my desktop.

I clicked on File > Waveforms... inside the SmartSDR program. 

Inside of WaveformManager I clicked "Installed..."

This took me directly to the right folder in my system:

I selected the only file there, clicked OPEN and FDV was installed.

I can now selected FDV mode in the slice:

If I double click the FreeDV red icon in the Desktop this little window appears:

If I TX this is what appears on the radio screen. 

Not sure if it works I will stay in 14.236 and wait for any FreeDV activity.

Exciting times to own a Flex Radio! Thanks FRS Team!.

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    You can find FreeDV QSOs through this website: http://qso.k7ve.org/

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    What does the waveform look like when you transmit with voice?
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Oh neat, I'll have to give this a try tonight.  Didn't realize they had released an experimental version yet.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Does one need to use the desktop icon at all? What is the little window for?
    Tnx fer the heads up.
    Will give it a go tonight if poss.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Is that the same as http://qso.freedv.org/ ?
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    How much power should I use when running FDV?
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    The FDV mode shows up ok but when I click MOX, I don't see the carrier as you do. 
    Clicking red icon, the little window doesn't show that strange text either. It is empty.
  • Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just completed my first FreeDV QSO with Mel, K0PFX, in St Louis, MO (from Greenville, SC).  I was on 14236 KHz.  Ran about 45 watts.  He gave me a 10DB SNR (he was using a Flex 5000)..  Is there an SNR meter indicator in Smart SDR?.

Does the audio processor operate in FDV?  He indicated my audio was a little rough, and I was in the DX position on the processor.  Moved it to Normal.

Neat stuff.  Nice to have a new mode!

73,   Gary - W8EEY
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I think so...
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I can hear someone but I am probably not decoding correctly. It sounds like a robot !
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    OK, anything below a signal of 3 is squelched, signals of 5 or more come thru clearer.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have tried to monitor a couple of slices in FDV and it seems that if I mute one it does actually mute. If I change it to a different mode the mute works. Is anyone else experiencing this?
  • Don w2xb
    Don w2xb Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019

Tried FDV and works great! First QSO with K0PFX

Don...w2xb

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Not me, but I will try again tonight.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Just had 3 QSOs with FDV. 
    Sounds a bit bassy.
    Left channel only? Is that normal?
    When the other guy drops below S5 you loose everything. Not much of a mode of you ask me. :*(
    I guess it's ok for strong and steady signals.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    The desktop icon is to show and send the callsign / message text.  It is an "el cheapo" app that is largely crafted as a demonstrator for some enterprising coder that wants to code from an example.  It is not intended to be a polished application. You can type your call and a message in the box below and it will stream out with your data.  The callsign data is not error corrected so it will often get errors if your SNR isn't great.  Also the green bar is a reading from the SNR measurement inside the codec. 
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    There is an SNR meter in the applet that installs.  You can click the red FreeDV icon and the green bar is the SNR.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Digital modes need good signals. They do not graciously degrade like analogue modes as the power drops, they drop off a cliff at some point as I believe is the case with all digital modes.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Can the data/message be read by all FDV users or just Flex folk?
    Thanks for your clarifications on this new release in this thread and others. You have a talent for explaining complicated things so those not in the field can understand. You should write a book.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Ummmm...Yea but with keyboard type digital modes you loose a letter now and then and with Hellscriber maybe things get a bit fuzzy but with FDV it's like BLAM....You loose an entire sentence. I would be ok with maybe a QSB to a Mr. Roboto voice but seeing a nice signal on the screen and hearing nothing bugs me.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Just had my first three contacts.  Sounds good here.  Better than DSTAR in my view.  I noticed audio in only one speaker as well.  I also noticed you wont get a decode if you have FDV selected on more than one slice at the same time.  I had 40m FDV on one slice and 20m FDV  on the other.   No audio until I took one slice off FDV. 

Marginal signals decode the best using my Pixel RF 1B mag loop receive antenna. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mine was coming through left channel only too until I turned off binaural audio.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Ahhh Haaaa.  Binaural audio is the culprit!
  • Barry Comer
    Barry Comer Member
    edited May 2015

For some reason I only get audio out of the left speaker. The balance control is in the middle.

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    We found you need to turn off Binaural audio
  • Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The FreeDV'ers are loving all the new activity on 14.236...
  • Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Neat! I can hear various stations but cannot transmit ("No FreeDV slice." appears in the FreeDV window. I suspect there is something I forgot to do in DAX or something. :(

• Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    Turn off the Binaural Audio that will give you both speakers

• Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    You must have the mode set to FDV in SmartSDR.  This is what the Windows applet looks for in the API.  Then you'd also have to have transmit enabled for the slice by pressing the TX button on the slice flag.
  • KD4Y
    KD4Y Member
    edited May 2015
    Just a note, using FDV with no issues at the moment. Several contacts in the log.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.