Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FreeDV installation problem

N4AB
N4AB Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Can't seem to load the FreeDV waveform program. I followed the instructions (I think) on page 110 of the software manual. Downloaded the .msi file and then double clicked on the file which seemed to install the program somewhere. The red Icon showed up on the windows screen. Then I opened the File menu and clicked on Waveforms and the Waveform Manager appeared (blank listing). I then clicked the Install... button which took me to the Waveforms Folder where the FreeDV.ssdr_waveform file was located (the only file there). I selected that file then clicked the Open button. The "FreeDV' title showed up on the WaveformManager window but nowhere else. Their is no "FDV" button on the Slice Flag (even after clicking on the down arrow button). I know that I must have done something wrong but I have tried the install 6 or more times with the same result. The only thing that has me concerned that I am missing something is the line that says "Install the FreeDV Waveform Module (plug-in) as described above." If I double click the RED Icon, I get a "No FreeDV slice" message. "HELP" 6700, WIN 8.1, I7 computer Al, N4AB

Comments

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Al, save your profiles and memories, then reset to factory defaults by starting the 6700 while pressing the OK button. Reload your profiles withe the profile manager. Then try to reinstall FDV waveform and load it. You have to do this anyway each time you reset your Flex, as it has to reload FDV. I am also very careful to clean up my Windows 7 regularly and I am admin for all my Windows PCs. All security is handled by my firewall PC which runs a special Linux version. Hope this helps, please post feedback. 73, ALEX DH2ID
  • Ed_NZ1Q
    Ed_NZ1Q Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Al,

I had a very similar problem. However, I did not reset my rig. I would do that only in extreme cases because I fear losing some setup configuration. Not too big a deal I guess.

I'm trying to remember how I got FDV to appear after the loading as you described.

It was something simple like closing SmartSDR and reopening it or clicking the DAX button in the P/CW pane. I think it is something like the PC and SSDR knowing where the new files are. Hope you can resolve it.

Ed  NZ1Q

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If I remember correctly, I needed to close SSDR, and power cycle the rig before FDV showed up the first time.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Alex, Hope you are well.

Always check the prefetch/superfetch system is working. It seems to get broken on a significant number of PCs I come across both XP and 7. Win 8.1, MSoft has removed the booting speed-up features from this system.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Guy, I think prefetch is switched off here as I am using a 1 TB SSD.
    FDV works fine on my system, though.
    73, Alex DH2ID
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Did you install SmartSDR using the default drive letter (C:) or did you chose a different drive?
  • John W9KXQ
    John W9KXQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tim,
    I have had the same results as Al.  I thought that I followed the instructions you gave me at Dayton, but I am unable to get it to show up in the mode options drop down as it did at Dayton.  I am using a 6500.  Should I reset after saving setting as suggested above or ??

Using Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit & 6500.

I have installed, uninstalled and rebooted radio and computer several times.

I am stumped at the moment.

Thanks,

John
    W9KXQ
  • N4AB
    N4AB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

I finally got FreeDV loaded and it seems to be working. However there is no activity on 14.236 and now I can't figure out how to use the QSO.k7ve program (a help file would be nice). Anyway the problem I had was that the SSDR installer put the "FlexRadio Systems" Folder in the "Program Files" Folder and the FreeDV installer put its "FreeDV" Folder in the "Program Files (x86)" Folder and I guess they could not find each other. I moved the "FreeDV" Folder to the "Program Files" Folder and started over and then everything started to work.

Now I am just waiting for some activity.

Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions.

Al,  N4AB

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    John - I recommend that you open a HelpDesk support ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) so we can investigate this issue further. 
  • John W9KXQ
    John W9KXQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tim,
    I went back over Al's first post, and I failed to do one of the steps.  I  now have FDV in my drop down Mode choices.  When I select it and double click on the FDV Icon It seems to work, I will monitor it today and see if I hear anything before I start a help ticket.  Your suggestion to start a help ticket forced me to review the steps once more, and found my oops!.

Thanks for being there.

John
    W9KXQ
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    :-)
  • Dick McNutt
    Dick McNutt Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I appear to have FDV working in all aspects except I am unable to bring up the GUI...it gives me an error message :No FreeDV slice selected"...
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Is the mode selected for slice A FDV?
  • Dick McNutt
    Dick McNutt Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yes it is Tim...it works with the exception of the GUI...which gives the error message....Also I have SDR installed in the program files...should it be in the C drive? ..thx
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Are you starting SmartSDR first, changing the slice demod mode to FreeDV and then starting the FreeDV gui applet?
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Alex, I do not have any SSDs here, but from what I understand as to how they work, prefetch will not give you anything just as fragmentation will not affect performance.

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Since an SSD is basically a ram drive. Prefetch and fragmentation, aren't an issue. Anyone using spinning discs should be keeping the discs defragmented and enable prefetch if faster boot times are the goal.  

Jay - NO5J
  • Dick McNutt
    Dick McNutt Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Tim, I have a profile set for FDV and it brings up all my settings and FDV works as far as receiving and transmitting...the only issue is that when I try and bring up   the GUI I get the error msg : no FreeDV slice selected...however there is one  and it shows FDV...I have it installed in the Programs Folder and running Win 7 32 bit....should it be in the C drive?...tnx 
  • Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    We've seen situations where a FireWall running on the PC will block access to the GUI and therefore it will display the "No FreeDV Slice Selected". Could this be happening on your system? 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.