Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Freedv

Tony Hateley
Tony Hateley Member
edited February 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I'm in the uk and only a m6 which is what's called a foundation licenses and we are only allowed 10 watts output at the antenna,my question is what power setting should the power slider be set at when using fdv mode,as to stay in our 10watts.thanks

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Is this a trick question?   10 on the power slider is ~ 10W output.  To measure the actual power at the end of the coax, you will need to put something like a Bird meter to get the real output.  You can calculate it based on the coax type to get close, but nothing is as good as seeing it with a meter!  Then you can bump it up a few ticks to compensate for your coax and connector loss.

Congrats on the 6500.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016

What a **** rule making the power at the antenna 10 Watts. Some one in government must be working at Microsoft to think like that.

Jim, K6QE

• Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited April 2016
    No it's not a trick question,I read somewhere that the power output for fdv was something like 4/1 I.e 100watts =25watts output could be wrong,sorry for my ignorance but I'm a disabled person with **** related problems
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited April 2016
    You don't no how lucky you are in the USA
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Duty cycle of FreeDV is low, but it was corrected in the Flex and driven a bit harder because the bit rate loss of the random peak summation wasn't great enough to limit the duty cycle so low when set to 100W.   This was debated pretty heavily during the Alpha testing.  This means 10W is still your limit because every now and then the peaks will sum up to 10W total.  If you try to tune it higher to get the average power at 10W, you will technically be over your power rating at random times.
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited April 2016
    Thank you

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.