Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FreeDV and VOX operation

dlwarnberg
dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
I installed the new SmartSDR 1.5.1 and installed the FreeDV waveform, everything seems to be ok... next test was to transmit, I use a heil headset and VOX.. no transmit, flipped to USB VOX works fine, back to FDV nothing.. anyone else experiencing this??

Answers

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I have a sneaking suspicion a new version of FreeDV will be required as well... this is a fresh install of SmartSDR and FreeDV (all previous uninstalled) I've tried rebooting (PC and Radio) same same.. Anyone had the chance to install SmartSDR 1.5.1 and FreeDV and test??
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    David

Vox doesn't seem to work with FDV selected for me either. MOX seems to transmit but VOX won't trigger on mic audio. Did VOX work with FDV before. I never tried using VOX, with FDV before.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Yes, I'm 99% sure it worked with FreeDV under SmartSDR 1.5.0, I only had 1.5.0 installed for a short time with FreeDV.. 

You know come to think of it I'm not sure I ever tested that.. but shouldn't it work??
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    OK so I'm not crazy.. in the manual, section 26.4.2 How to Operate FreeDV, page 113 it says..

Transmit Operation:Setup your transmit configuration as you would for any USB voice mode with the following restrictions.
    Δ – Turn off the RX and TX Equalizer and PROC as these signal processing features will adversely affect the FreeDV transmit quality. This caveate will be eliminated in a future release of the SmartSDR.

SmartSDR 1.5.1 and 1.5.0 both turn off the processor automatically when FDV mode is selected...
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Vox is not working for me on my 6300 with V1.5.1

Cal/N3CAL
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I replied on other thread...  Vox and FDV not playing nice together.  Could be by design though as FDV may sending out header / syncs etc etc as the digital stuff likes to do.  Let me see here, does D-Star work VoX...   Nope.   I'd guess this is by design for the aforementioned reason.  The interested student would check the FreeDV website for definitive answer.

_..--
    k3TIm
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    K3TIM... I checked and am finding no answer to my question, did that first before coming here..  Also, just as a little test.. I have a ICOM-9100, DSTAR chip install, VOX works fine in DSTAR mode on that radio...and the plot thickens, I do not have the DSTAR ThumbDV for my FLEX
  • Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Currently, none of the waveforms support VOX operation.

The way the audio is routed to the waveform processes makes this a little tricky. We do have an issue in our tracker to address this in the future. 
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    very good, thank you Ed

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.