Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Free Screen Capture Software

Rob Fissel
Rob Fissel Member
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I've noticed quite a few people asking about good screen capture software. A few payware pieces of software have been mentioned, but I wanted to make the community aware of OBS:

https://obsproject.com/ is a excellent piece of software. Open source, free for all, and records beautiful 1080p screencaps. It allows for mutliple simultaneous audio sources, making tasks like narration on top of a DAX channel a breeze. 

Here's an example of the quality of recording you can expect with this software and a decent computer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3YoikCPbYw

For reference, my box used in the shack is a i5-4690k OC'd to 4.2GHz on air, 16GB of RAM, running off a 240GB SSD on Win7 Pro. 

Rob
K2RWF
2 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    The Snipping Tool is a pretty handy, free screenshot utility included in the Windows distribution (look in the Accessories folder in your Start Menu).

• KD4HSO
    KD4HSO Member
    edited February 2017
    The Xbox app in Windows 10 will also do app (video) capture:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-use-windows-10s-screen-recording-utility
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks, Rob.
    That is exactly what I was looking for!
    I downloaded it this evening and have posted my first A/V Tutorial.
    It is so easy that I am sure that there will be more coming.
    I have wanted to do this for a couple of years.
    Thanks again for the link to an excellent program.

Ken - NM9P
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited October 2015
    You're welcome, Ken. It took me a long time to stumble upon it, but once I did, i never looked back. 

Now I'm just waiting on VLC to deliver their open source video editing platform. That'll be great!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    One thing it lacks is an audio mixer so I can adjust relative sound levels between my rig output and my studio Mike.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This http://www.screenpresso.com/ is my screencapture software of choice. It has a free version, but I have bought a licence. Very responsive developer, such that it is sometimes like having one's own development team - both for features and bug fixes.

• Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited October 2015
    Ken, you should be able to click on the red bars to adjust. Video demonstration here.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, I will try that.  BTW. 
    It looks like you use PSTRotator, too.  I like it.

Ken - NM9P
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited October 2015
    PSTRotator is excellent, Ken. It interfaces beautifully with the ERC controller and my rigged up RatShack rotor for the hexbeam. 

Rob
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    i bought this but having problems getting audio from dax into it .. any suggestions .. .I set the dax channel as the audio device but its not recording anything!

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    There are several places where you need to have the DAX channel activated to work in SSDR.... You have defined the audio input in your recording program, Do you have the same DAX channel selected in the slice pull down menu? Also, do you have the same slice activated in the DAX control panel? And is it showing audio via the red level meter on that DAX channel in the DAX control panel? Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.